Author Topic: Scaaty Racing Studebaker  (Read 56069 times)

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
Re: Scaaty Racing Studebaker
« Reply #75 on: February 09, 2015, 06:11:39 PM »
Scaaty has come out of hibernation. The belly pan from firewall back is finished. New bigger strakes are cut. The data system is being installed. I went ahead and got the racepak dash to go along with the data system. Took her to the engine builders shop last week. He is checking everything over. Sent the entry to ECTA for the May meet in Ohio. We need shakedown runs and some time to figure out the data system. Hope all are making progress and working safe.  It's all fun   Don
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT

Offline tauruck

« Reply #76 on: February 09, 2015, 08:36:05 PM »
Hey Don, good to hear from you again.

It's been a while. Good news on the updates. :cheers:

This will be your year.

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #77 on: May 10, 2015, 08:09:59 AM »
Update on Scaaty Racing. We ran in Ohio. Got in 3 runs. Licensed up. Did just what I told Keith I would do. A new car and a rookie driver just wanted and needed seat time. The car handled great. It went straight pulled hard during acceleration. I took off easy not spinning the tires and ran on the numbers. A 127mph pass on the first run then a 150.3 on the second. Had to repair a leaking water hose and fitting late Saturday. Got repairs made Sunday morning and got back in line. 3rd run she went 183.65 and felt good going through the gears ( only to 3rd). Went through the traps and pulled the chute. It did not work. Thanks to the Wilwood brakes I got it slowed enough to made the last turn out (a little fast I was told). On the return road is where I saw the problem. Oil and water coming out. We got the engine apart yesterday. Looks like a rod bolt broke. A lot of damage but could have been worse. You all know how much these engines cost. Have to make calls this week checks on parts and prices. Scaaty may have to run speed week with the 283 out of my 39 Ford pickup. It's all fun   
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

gkabbt

« Reply #78 on: May 10, 2015, 08:34:08 AM »
Don, REALLY good meeting/talking with you and seeing the Scaaty Stude in person.....NICE ride.  :cheers:
Hate to hear of the engine issues. Plenty of time before Speedweek. Just need them D A M N $$$$. It's always something.....LOL!!!!!

In case you haven't seen them, here are some pics I got of your Stude:

Hope to see you in Wilmington again!

Gregg Adams

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: May 10, 2015, 12:22:58 PM »
That is one bitchin Studee   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #80 on: May 10, 2015, 10:58:49 PM »
Nice stude, sorry to hear about the engine issues, NO CHUTE! whats up with that. one would figure a chat with Keith. Slowing at wilmington from over 175 with just brakes is not for the faint of heart. Good for you on your progress. :cheers:

Frank.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2015, 08:27:42 AM »
Captthundarr
Right you are about the slowing. The guys at the end of the track had a talk with me. It was either the grass or take the turn out. Just recalled Saturday night at the dirt track. 
 After  I got the time slip Keith came down track.  That was when I thought the butt chewing was coming. He was great. Talked about my chute and tires. He told me I can't run there till I get a different chute and tires. Said the car is wicked fast. He also told me I did what I told me what I was going to do. We will get Scaaty back together to make Speed Week. Then over the winter make changes to run Ohio next spring. I am having the time of my life. It's all fun                                 
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2015, 10:09:55 AM »
The sb2 that was in Scaaty is in need of a lot of work equals $$$$$. Looks like a rod bolt broke but it took out all rods pistons and the crank. Don't have the money for repairs  before speed week. Plans are for a back up engine. Same class but less HP. Going to get licensed up to A if all is right with the world--make that salt and car. Making changes and finishing items that have to be ready for tech. Never enough hours in a day. Hope all work safe---the push is on. See you on the salt. It's all fun
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline GH

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2015, 10:19:58 PM »
Very nice looking Stude. Get in touch with Stroud for the proper chute. Good luck and have fun.

Offline DND

« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2015, 04:15:29 AM »
Your Stude is very slippery looking for a great aero package, what kind of rods do you have as now days they all have good bolts I thought

Offline tauruck

« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2015, 10:19:39 PM »
Hey Don, I don't know how I missed the last few posts
because I always check. :x

The car looks great. :cheers:
Sounds like it runs just as good.

What rods were you running?.

I hope you get it together for SW.
Good luck man.

Mike.

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2015, 07:11:01 PM »
Update on Scaaty. We had carrillo rods and bolts. Can't say for sure what happened. At this point it doesn't matter. I am putting together another engine to run this year. It will have less HP and won't turn the rpm the sb2 could but hey I am having fun. To bad it cost so much money for our kind of fun. Plans are to try to license up to an A if she holds together. Scaaty felt good at speed. Went straight pulled hard and stopped straight. All a plus for a car built by two old boys from Tennessee. If we can get her salty and she stays together to an A license we will get the sb2 back in place for next year. You all know how this works-never enough time. What are we 40 days out and I'm still putting an engine together. FUN FUN FUN see you on the salt. It is all about going down course. I will finish Scaaty someday------maybe. She would be a cool Pro-Mod car after I get her salted down.   Don
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2015, 08:03:37 PM »
Race cars are never really "finished", Don.  :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2015, 08:46:59 PM »
Don:

That's the spirit. It will always be a trash, if not the car then the trailer or the tow vehicle but something always decides it needs some love 40 days before speedweek. I love the Studebaker. 

Good thrashing,

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline DND

« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2015, 08:49:34 PM »
Hi Don

In 68' I built a 350 for a short track stock car and also had Carrillo rods, after each season I would rebuild & mag all the parts and re dyno it for the new year

About 3 months into the 5 th season a rod broke and did it in, so the money guy says what the hell happened

Well you raced it for 4 years, hauling around a 3000 lb car on a 3/8 mile paved track with lots of off & on the gas cycles so I think they got their moneys worth

Even Fred's best rods are not going to last forever

Don