Author Topic: Scaaty Racing Studebaker  (Read 55897 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Scaaty Racing Studebaker
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 10:33:10 PM »
Well said Don. :cheers:

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 04:22:08 PM »
Happy to be able to report on Scaaty race team. While working on the car last Friday night things got a little crazy. We were about ready to take her off the jig. I was going to lower her front and rear so the frame would rest on the jig. I had to front down and was working on the rear. The cross braces were tack welded to jig-braces-frame. While removing the rear brace the car shifted and fell off the jig with me under it. Everything went into slow motion. When it was over I came out unhurt. The car suffered damage to the driver door. The good part is Scaaty is on wheels and rolls now. Didn't think much about it that night. Saturday morning when I was telling Cliff what happened I got a little shook up. If you guys are like me and work alone often please BE CAREFUL. We are still on track, parts ordered to fix door.
                      Scaaty racing  because we are Still Crazy After All These Years       It' all fun  Don
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 05:03:27 PM »
Jack stands forever, hey?  Even when lowering the vehicle to the ground - keep 'em there 'til the last moment when you can still remove them.  A bit of a bother, yes, but then -- so's a body cast.

Safety is cheap.  Invest in it.  Glad to hear that you managed to escape.  Keep on building. . . :-D :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 09:02:28 PM »
Hey Slim    Thanks for the advice. It is hard to use jack stands 4 feet off the ground. We have been lucky during this build. Just a few cuts and grind marks on hands and fingers.
We are making a lot of progress with the car (scaatty) every week we get closer to the goal.

It's all fun    Don
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 04:52:13 PM »
Here is a picture of Scaaty off the jig. Driver door is off for repairs. Today was a money day. Ordered trailer and Cliff got the fire suits coming. Making a lot of progress every week. 118 days till speed week!
           Hey Hooley   It's still Fun     Don
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 05:10:33 PM »
Glad to hear you are ok after your mishap Don, that sounded pretty scary. Car is looking great!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 06:41:55 PM »
Wow! Nice job SCAATY.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2014, 09:56:32 AM »
Something so cool about an old Stude! Looks great guys! If you squint your eyes just right that garage looks like the starting line and that old cab in the background has to be someones push truck. Or maybe it's just me... Good work guys. That thing is sweet!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2014, 11:49:28 AM »
Thanks lsrjunkie. Your right about the shop a lot of possibilities there. Other projects have been put on hold or sold to help finance salt fever.  It's all fun  Don
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 05:13:43 PM »
Don, I understand that all too well! I thought I had enough to finish my Henry J last year. I guess that's what a guy gets for thinking...  :roll:

I absolutely love that car. I'm pulling for ya man! Can't wait to drool on that thing in person come August.
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 07:20:56 PM »
The car looks awesome. :cheers:

Working alone can be complicated.
You want do things that need more hands etc.

Good to hear you dodged one. Someone does look after guys that work alone. :-)

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 04:07:05 PM »
Wing and spill plates mounted. Water tank built, mounts installed, tank fitted to mounts. Oil tank mount installed. Flooring ready to install. Finishing trans tunnel and firewall cover. Shipped 1 fire bottle back to recharge. Fire suits on the way. Ran engine on dyno last week. 836 hp at 8400 rpm. Engine builder wants more! Door and front cap at body shop. Pick up the trailer next week. A lot going on here. I stop and think about others in the builds, hope all work safe and meet your goals.                                         See ya on the salt.       It's all fun     Scaaty Racing       Don
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 04:13:04 PM »
Wow! That's a couple ponies! Ought to push that old Stude along nicely!  :cheers:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 06:07:38 PM »
.... Ran engine on dyno last week. 836 hp at 8400 rpm.       Don

Congrats  :cheers:, that should get you up in the 240 to 260 range I'm guessing.  We still aren't sure of our HP when Hooley ran 253, but were guessing in the mid 800's.

You have any idea yet on what you are shooting for weight wise, front/back?  Have you considered the larger verticals and a wing that are now allowed?

Sum

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 09:08:30 AM »
For this year the wing and spill plates will look like what is pictured. We need to get the car finished and do some testing. There is an old air base 2 hours from us with a 3 mile run way. Not wanting to do fast runs just get the feel for the car. 
 Going to pick up scales this week end. We built as much weight into the car as we could during the build. Hoping it comes in around 4000 lbs before we start adding weight. Figuring 5000 to 6000 lbs when we run. Still having fun     Scaaty Racing    Don
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC