Author Topic: Licensing passes at ElMirage and Bonneville.  (Read 5288 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Licensing passes at ElMirage and Bonneville.
« on: December 31, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »
Do all licensing passes both car and driver count or crossover from each of these venues?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Licensing passes at ElMirage and Bonneville.
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:57:21 AM »
No. 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »
So there's no way possible to get any licensing passes out of the way before Speedweek.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 10:33:50 AM »
getting a little antsy there Rob ? Relax, it will be a fun experience... the license passes are all part of it... take your time... pay close attention to everything... enjoy the ride... and it will be fun, safe and fast
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 12:53:40 PM »
The SCTA doesn't license cars, only drivers. You can license up in a different car but the 'liner will likely have speed restrictions placed upon it anyway until it has proven to be sound.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »
No. 

Incorrect, you can license at El Mirage and that licensed category will be good at the Salt and any other venue. However Rookie status is conferred upon anyone who is a first timer at the Venue.

you can have 1000 runs at El Mirage, but the first time you show up at the salt you're a rookie again, and rookie rules apply.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 05:01:21 PM »
Licenses from other venues may NOT be accepted at SCTA events, so ask before you assume your ECTA A license will be good to go at Bville or EM.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 05:34:06 PM »
Rob, El Mirage is not a good venue to run the liner on as traction is a lot different then the salt. It's a 1- 3/10 course and about 1 mile of shut off, The speeds and distance can be difficult as turn off don't allow for much with a car with small degrees of steering. There is also the dust conditions if the car and driver get dusted out.Not a good thing for sure. The other thing it's a long way to tow for one or two runs. Terry Nish got his liner on it's side and  couple of liners testing at speed on the lake bed had issues in the shut down and turn out.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 05:45:31 PM »
Methinks the dust issue would be the biggest problem in an "enclosed" liner.  Elmer doesn't understand enclosed as meaning sealed.  Fighting that problem for a few initial runs (maybe two a day) would get you no worthwhile solution for the salt.  Kinda spinning your wheels (squared).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 06:46:18 PM »
I would humbly disagree. While it may not be exactly the same, seat time is seat time and just being in the car in anger adds up. Heck, just getting strapped in and anticipating running is helpful. Wayno

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 11:50:49 AM »
I have my AA license for Bonneville, just concerned anoint the number of passes that are going to be required before I let her eat. We can hot lap the car for about three runs so we do not intend to go back to the pits. We will just do a nut, bolt and tire check on the trailer while waiting in line on the short course. From what I understand, I will have to make 125, 150, 175, 200, 250 passes in a new car. My ECTA passes in the car will not count or I could start out at 175.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »
Rob, it's more than that. You are also required to do rookie orientation the night before and the morning of runs, this means you will be watching the first 20 or so passes before you can get into line to run. There also is no hot lapping at El Mirage, we run in groups so after your first pass you will wait until EVERYONE else runs befor you'll be able to run again. This is why you would be lucky to make more than 2 passes a day. Not that we don't want you to visit but it might not be the best use of your resources.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 12:48:00 PM »
.... From what I understand, I will have to make 125, 150, 175, 200, 250 passes in a new car. My ECTA passes in the car will not count or I could start out at 175.

Are you now talking El Mirage or B'ville?   If B'ville I don't think those are the speeds you will have to run with the car since you are licensed.  You're licensed at b'ville in the vette aren't you?  If the car goes through tech with no problems, and it should, then I'd be inclined to think they might want one run under 175 with a chute deployment and if that went well then a new target speed would be discussed, not necessarily in the same increments as the driver license speeds.  I'd contact the appropriate official and you should be able to do that probably in person later this month when you are at the GNRS.

I agree with the others and feel El Mirage won't gain you much,

Sum
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 12:50:49 PM by Sumner »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 02:56:59 PM »
Rob, it's more than that. You are also required to do rookie orientation the night before and the morning of runs, this means you will be watching the first 20 or so passes before you can get into line to run. There also is no hot lapping at El Mirage, we run in groups so after your first pass you will wait until EVERYONE else runs befor you'll be able to run again. This is why you would be lucky to make more than 2 passes a day. Not that we don't want you to visit but it might not be the best use of your resources.

Mike, I was referring to Bonneville in my last post.
I will probably be leaving the car with Eric (Blue) in Reno so that he can sculpt the wing interface fairings after the GNRS. If we were to do it, I would come back out in May for the first El Mirage event. That would help cost a bit not having to transport the car.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com