Author Topic: SB chevy timing retarding  (Read 24551 times)

Offline sdroadster

Re: SB chevy timing retarding
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2014, 10:54:07 PM »
Thanks guys. The engine builder asked me to send him the engine back prior to installing the mag. He called today and said the cam button was worn, gone, missing, or detoriated and the cam had the ability to move/walk 1/4 of an inch forward. He said everything else looked fine. I asked about the condition of the timing chain, and he said we were going to buy a Jessle belt drive for the cam. He said that design locks the cam into place, and we will no longer have a potential problem. I'm glad he found something. Soon i am going under the dash of the Studebaker and comb through every wire, ground circut, and switch.  Come on El Mirage!!!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2014, 11:44:30 PM »

Have you thought about checking the end play of the camshaft to front cover? Sounds to me like you could be getting cam walk.

Tom G.

What do I win?  All kidding aside, I am glad you found the problem. Now go out and set a record with the extra HP you will have with the belt drive.  :cheers:

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Hooley

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2014, 11:38:10 AM »
I am glad they found the problem. We carry a spare mag just in case the MSD has a failure.
It seems to me that in the old days of drag racing the guys would run a sloppy timing chain so
it would retard at high RPM's. I'm not sure of the old memory.

Good luck,
Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"