Author Topic: NOS Firestone Bonneville tires  (Read 8063 times)

Offline DSPADARO

• New folks
    • Dick Spadaro
NOS Firestone Bonneville tires
« on: December 26, 2013, 09:52:43 PM »
  I have decided that these are not going to be used and should now go to a good home. I have 6 NOS Firestone Bonneville Hi speed tires. They are in excellent condition with tubes, approximately early 70's vintage.  I have 4, 7.00 x 18 tires, one mounted on magnesium rim 18 x 6 x 5.5 all others unmounted. I also have 2, 5.50 x 15 mounted on steel ford rims 15 x 5 x 4.5. They have no cuts or damage and have been stored inside in cool surroundings. Pictures are available to callers. I dont do pen pals so dont email me about sending pictures or what will be the shipping to east timbuctu. They will ship truck freight or UPS if possible your nickle.   The asking price is $1000 ea but if you think that is too much I will listen to offers, as I said before, I want these to go to a good home whether it is a museum display or on the sand.  To contact me call 518-861-5367 M-f 9-5 East coast time. I'll give you all the info I know about the tires and maybe we can make a deal.

Offline DSPADARO

• New folks
    • Dick Spadaro
Re: NOS Firestone Bonneville tires
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 05:23:07 PM »
Hi I'm bumping this back to the top to see if I can get a little action. I have these nice old tires that need to go to a good home. I would appreciate it if some feed back was available as to the price of these tires . I know people appreciate a good deal but I'm just wanting to know what the market price of something like this is or are they just a bunch of large hockey pucks? I tried to post a picture but the prompt says the file is too big.  Thanks  DS

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 06:37:08 PM »
Since we don't know where you're located - we can't even begin to figure out what shipping would be.  If you don't "...do pen pals...", which might imply that you don't care to post often on this Forum -- well, that's fine.  Many racers don't post here, for many reasons.  But if you had posted a few times - letting us know what vehicle you had planned to run with these tires - maybe we'd have enough information to better decide if they're what we want or need.

I'd be happy to assign you a location if you'd prefer not to do it yourself.  My choice of towns, of course. . . :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2014, 06:42:43 PM »
  Dick(?), I believe that those are the same type of tires that Seth Hammond ran on the ex Tim Rochlister (spl?) lakester about ten years ago, and if I remember correctly also   Al Teague's streamliner ran them on the rear.
  They really need to go on a restoration project, not because of their shape, but because they are impossible to find.
  Try calling Marlo Treit (503) 678-2678 daytime PST.                             Bob Drury
« Last Edit: February 25, 2014, 06:44:37 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline RichFox

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2014, 06:59:51 PM »
Looks like the Albany, NY area.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 07:11:53 PM »
We actually ran the 800x18's on Betsy before the good Mickey's came along, the 700's were a little short for us. From memory they are about 28 tall & still a very runable tire.
  Sid.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 06:05:05 AM »
this Firestone tire had to be from 1966 or earlier....Firestone stopped to produce Bonneville tire after the Art Arfons/Green Monster incident in 1966.

If I remember right, Al told me that he run for a while the Green Monster tire (left over after 1966 desaster)....saw this tire in his workshop in 1996  (Southgate)
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline DSPADARO

• New folks
    • Dick Spadaro
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 12:20:41 PM »
Thanks to all that responded I'm getting a better idea of what I have. Yes, they need to go to a good home, that is why I went to this forum as I felt it was the best way to notify anyone looking for something like this.  I got these in an auction clean up and have no idea what they were to be used on.  Slim, I don't play "pen pal" not because I'm being a wise ass but due to the fact that over my internet experience most people that email you for information or pictures are not really interested parties. This reply messaging takes up time during the day form other more productive work. I have found that if a person has enough ambition to call you about an item or topic they are serious about the project enough to devote time to and I will be more than happy to comply with email correspondence request or pictures, thus the position I have taken on "pen pals."  Also note I added location as requested.  Again thanks for the replies now I need to figure out what a fair price is, if any of you have suggestions I'm open to advice.   

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 12:48:55 PM »
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 10:59:41 PM »
this Firestone tire had to be from 1966 or earlier....Firestone stopped to produce Bonneville tire after the Art Arfons/Green Monster incident in 1966.

If I remember right, Al told me that he run for a while the Green Monster tire (left over after 1966 desaster)....saw this tire in his workshop in 1996  (Southgate)
We only ran the Arfons wheels one time but they were so heavy that when Al broke them loose they flywheeled & he had to wait for them to stop spinning. That happened three or four times during the run then we took them off & never ran them again.
They were an odd size with a huge bead like an aircraft tire & were a 22 ply. I remember Al & Jane drove the old Jimmy all the way to Ohio to pick them up.
I have a pair of Betsy's old Firestone sneakers hangin on the wall here. :-)
  Sid.

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2014, 01:52:48 AM »
Max Lambky bought a few Firestone tires from Al that were said to be from Arfons, he runs one on the rear of the Vincent streamliner.

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 10:39:12 AM »
If I remember right, Al told me that he run for a while the Green Monster tire (left over after 1966 desaster)....saw this tire in his workshop in 1996  (Southgate)
[/quote]
We only ran the Arfons wheels one time but they were so heavy that when Al broke them loose they flywheeled & he had to wait for them to stop spinning. That happened three or four times during the run then we took them off & never ran them again.
They were an odd size with a huge bead like an aircraft tire & were a 22 ply. I remember Al & Jane drove the old Jimmy all the way to Ohio to pick them up.
I have a pair of Betsy's old Firestone sneakers hangin on the wall here. :-)
  Sid.
[/quote]

WOW Sid, Did you realize the history you were in at the time?
 It's one of those I wish I could of been there things, for me.
Richard 2
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »
We only had two wheels & tires from Art & they were the two piece monster rims with a row of 5/8 Allen bolts around them. They couldn't be mounted on a one piece rim. All the other Firestones came from other sources & Al was paying $1000 to $1500 a pop for them. Al was working as a millwright back then & I was full time on Betsy.
No Richard, we really had no idea of the history we were making, we were just too busy getting it done.
I was talking with Al & Jane the other day about my liner & she said "you need a Sid". We have a lot of stories & relive a lot of memories.
  Sid.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2014, 01:35:14 PM »
Sid,

this is very interested. When I was at Al's workshop in 1996 he showed me this tire. There was four of them. This tire was real monster from the size...they didn't look that big at the Green Monster.

Al said to me that he used them....but I had no idea that he used them only for one run...

one pair of the tire was very hard used...the other pair looked unused.....

Other Firestone tire were left over from 1965/66, was the tire used by the Summers Brothers with the Goldenrod.....this tire are very small....6,5 x 16.....

Can't remember what Al used for the front tire to this time......can you remember?
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2014, 03:09:54 PM »
Actually Porkpie you are right come to think of it. There was two mounted on the monster rims & two unmounted, been a lot of water under the bridge since then. :-P
The front's were 24" Firestones & they had a lot of miles on them, as you know we used to push Betsy everywhere.
  Sid.