Author Topic: New Roadster Class  (Read 11206 times)

Offline Buickguy3

Re: New Roadster Class
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2014, 05:55:53 PM »
  GMC also had an unblown gas version in the 60's called a 702. A pair of 351 V-6's that were used in the pickup trucks hooked together and used in larger applications. I think one of the uses was to burn a lot of excess gasoline. :-D
   Doug :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 08:43:59 PM »
Having helped threads stray from subject by the hundreds I feel compelled to help this one get back to subject.... so anyone have any ideas how fast a sidecar roadster might go with one of those 16V92 diesels is it... lets start with stock... 1350HP and let our imaginations run from there...

Hey Stan, pass the wine box will ya, I feel like you are trying to drink all of it without FeRd's or my help  :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 09:14:02 PM »
Did you look closely at the specs for the 16V92?  It'll take a long course -- a very loooonngg course -- to allow the car that's powered by a 5900# engine -- to get up to speed with only 1300 hp.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 09:54:56 PM »
If the engine can be set over the drive wheels by using a V-drive traction problems should be eliminated.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Tman

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 10:00:04 PM »
Can the engine go in the sidecar? :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2014, 10:01:20 PM »
SSS there are a lot of really heavy cars out there running with that kind of HP...
Weight = Traction  same formula applies for bikes and cars...  
So Stan... what engine classes are you going to allow in this new roadster class
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline RichFox

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 10:58:41 AM »
I looked it up and the parts book shows a front and rear block as well as crank. Plenty of used 16-92 engines for sale on line
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 12:26:03 PM by RichFox »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2014, 11:32:41 AM »
Let's open it to all Fuel and Gas classes.

With the C/AIR formula around for a year, it's apparent that no one wants to resurrect an old one or build a new one.  Every one I've seen or heard of has been a currently-run roadster modified for fruit gathering (cherry-picking).
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2014, 01:29:38 PM »
I like that new term "fruit gathering". It's so much more refined.  :-D :-D :cheers:

Pete

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »
How else is one to get a record with out the aforementioned "fruit gathering"?

I like Stan's idea. Maybe I'll shelf ole Hank in favor of a side car roadster. I'll go one further and actually use compressed air to power it!  :evil:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2014, 06:39:21 PM »
Nope - it's been done already (compressed air power, that is).  A French team tried it a few years ago - on a bike, wasn't it?  It didn't work all that well, especially since they seemed to be spending a lot of time at the line "warming" their motor.  I thought of that warming as a big waste of their air reserve, especially since they didn't have the vehicle hooked to a compressor in the support truck - or anything.

So if you're going to build for the new roadster sidecar class -- look elsewhere for your power source - unless you're willing to be just another Joe giving old technology a try. :evil:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2014, 09:31:48 AM »
Now Slim, that is funny!!  :-D  :-D  :-D  :-D
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson