Author Topic: New Roadster Class  (Read 11214 times)

Offline Stan Back

New Roadster Class
« on: December 25, 2013, 03:14:22 PM »
Let's all get on the bandwagon (circus wagon?) and pitch in to get a new class in the Gas Roadster category -- Roadster Sidecar classes.  Maybe even more useful than the recently-new Compressed AiR Roadster class (C/AIR).

See illustration herewith . . .

Oh well -- it won't post.  Says it's too large, but it isn't.  I'll send it to the good doctor and maybe he can post it.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 03:29:49 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: New Roadster Class
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »
Let's all get on the bandwagon (circus wagon?) and pitch in to get a new class in the Gas Roadster category -- Roadster Sidecar classes.  Maybe even more useful than the recently-new Compressed AiR Roadster class (C/AIR).

See illustration herewith . . .

Oh well -- it won't post.  Says it's too large, but it isn't.  I'll send it to the good doctor and maybe he can post it.

I haven't seen the picture, but if a side car will help keep a roadster pointed in the right direction . . .

well . . . that might take some of the fun out of it.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 09:32:47 PM »
Stan, I would think one of the class requirements should be the sidecar roadster must use a motorcycle motor... and the largest class would then be F not C.... The big problem is those smaller classes... can you imagine how long it will take a 50cc sidecar roadster to get to the traps  :-o
Open another box of wine...and we will talk about this more  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 10:03:38 PM »
Time that it takes to get through the lights shouldn't be a problem, Stainless.  The new class is designed specifically to run on the Course #7, which  is the perimeter road between the salt flats and the interstate.  The lights will start with one 300 yards from the start line, followed by another (making the first timing trap) at 325 yards.  The final light (there'll only be one "real" timed section will be from the 325 all the way down to the 500.  That'll make conversion from time to MPH pretty easy.  All the timer will need to do is relate the distance of 175 yards to miles, which is simply multiplying time by .00994318 or something. 

Got it?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 10:08:06 PM »
Stan you aren't you 107 days   correction 106 days early??
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »
I'm trying -- I'm not lion!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2014, 11:57:48 PM »
A Turbo Hayabusa powered sidecar/roadster sounds great! :-D

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2014, 09:52:49 AM »
A Turbo Hayabusa powered sidecar/roadster sounds great! :-D

Right down your alley... I'm sure the Noonan Moreland team could have one together by April 1st  :-D
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2014, 11:50:22 AM »
I would like to see a trailer addition to every class. Like AA/BFS-T.
Ok.... I know what you're thinkin!! The chutes will get tangled in the trailer so they could go "on" the trailer. :-D :-D
  Sid.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 12:56:31 PM »
Would that trailer have its own engine and "driver train"?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2014, 01:11:24 PM »
Only Streamliner & Unlimited Diesel Truck can use more than one engine. Rule 2.A.
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 02:26:43 PM »
Let me diverge from the roadster discussion and ask about the Ultd. truck class and the engine Carl Heap had in the Phoenix, and I think the Joint Venture Freightliner has one, too.  It was billed as a "16V72" Detroit Diesel.  To my knowledge that engine is a real single engine -- that's comprised of a pair of 8V72 engines back-to-back.  It was relatively common to use the big 16-cylinder engine for stuff like go-karts and mini bikes and - - what?  You're kidding -- that isn't what the engines were in? :roll:  Sorry.  I've been led astray.

Back to the 16V72.  Since it was a pair of 8's bolted into one, and since it was available from the factory as a 16 cylinder -- is it considered one or two engines?  Obviously I don't have a reason to ask other than just for the sake of knowledge.  Any certain knowledge on this?  Thanks. :? :-) :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 02:41:24 PM »
I thought the 16-71 and 16-92 engine was a true 16 cylinder block and crank with 4 of the 8 cylinder heads and two intakes and what not.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »
Rich, I yield to your greater knowledge of the engines.  Now that you remind me -- I think that indeed, I should have said 16V92.  Maye the "2" in that label is what caused me to modify the 71 into a 72.  Whatever, I'll go with your idea 'til someone comes along with definitive proof.  Thanks.

Maybe I'll go Bing-ing and find out what I find out. :?

I've found some stuff.  The 16V92 is the biggest model available in the 72 cu in/cylinder size, which runs from 4 through 16.  Taking a look at the engine's line drawing I see what might have got me going in the wrong direction, though - - there are four heads, just like Rich said, bolted onto one block.  The two heads end-to-end threw me off track, into thinking that a pair of engines was tied together.

Interesting is that the 1472 cu. in. engine is rated at 1350 hp at the shaft at "maximum" and 1254 hp at "intermittent-maximum".  But neither of those numbers is enough to power the Phoenix or Joint Venture to well over 200.  Anyone remember if there were/are estimates of the horsepower output of either of the engines?  We can go back to sidecar roadsters if you'd like, by the way. :cheers:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 03:08:16 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 03:48:18 PM »
It gets a little confusing if you're not a Detroit guy.
6-71 is an inline 6 with 71 cubes per cylinder. A 6V-71 is a V6 with 71 cubes per hole.
There is both a 12V-71 that is one block/crank combo & one that is two V6's together.
71 series engines were available in 1-2-3-4 & 6cyl's as inline.
The 92's come in V6 & V8 & the The 12V & 16V engines are doubles from the factory.
The 12V-149 & the 16V-149 are single block single crank.
In fact the turbo's on my liner came off a 12V-149.
  Sid.