Author Topic: Emergency helmet removal  (Read 8219 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Emergency helmet removal
« on: December 24, 2013, 01:46:07 AM »
I see that Simpson just acquired "Shock Doctor" helmet removal products (and has a special price right now of only $49.95). Simpson's website has a good description of it, and says that most EMTs are already familiar with its use. I'm inclined to use one- anybody heard anything negative about this form of emergency removal?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 01:54:15 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline tauruck

Re: Emergency helmet removal
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 01:54:45 AM »
It won't do no harm having one.

I'd say definitely a good innovation.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »
Jack:  I got your note asking about a "safety" thread -- and we've already got this one.  Yes, it's labeled "Shop Safety" and not "Safety in general", but we do have one that might fit the bill.  If I were to try to make it more generic - safety in general - where should I put it?  Or should we have two safety threads, each specifying which type of safety we're discussing?  I'd sure rather have just one so we don't miss something that's important, but will be willing to listen to your (and others') comments.  Safety is good, no doubt.  But if we only see one safety tip because we didn't know to look for another -- that might not be so good.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 09:20:53 AM »
NHRA requires them in the upper classes TF,FC,TAD,AFC, I'm not sure what's required in the other classes. The emergency crews need to have their training, and hardware ready, for them to fully function properly when needed.

The ones I have seen need a air pump to be used by the first responders. They cut the chinstrap and pump the air bladder up to lift the helmet off. I guess that's better in some cases than just yanking it off.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »
Well I had to google that to find out what the hell it is! :? Everybody else know what that is?
  Sid.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 11:20:37 AM »
Nope :-D
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline jdincau

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 11:30:06 AM »
An air bladder inside the top of the helmet with a tube to allow inflation. In practice the helmet strap is cut and the bladder inflated to jack the helmet off the head without putting any tension on the neck. it requires the first responder to know how to use it and have an inflation device.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Frank06

Re: Re: Emergency helmet removal
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »
Does anyone know what the inflation device looks like?

In general, helmets are not removed unless there are airway/breathing problems but it would be good to learn about these.  They sound like an investment to consider.
E-Racer

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »
Well I had to google that to find out what the hell it is! :? Everybody else know what that is?
  Sid.

Yup, I sure did. Been discussion here several times in fact.  :wink:

Offline entropy

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 07:14:46 PM »
panic seems to be panicked by the idea of a helmet ejection device.

I'm not panicked, nope.
Simpson installed one in my new helmet a month ago.

http://stilo-usa.com/docs/Shock_Doctor_Eject_Helmet_Removal_System.pdf

Can we agree that all risk cannot be extinguished?

Can we agree that the likelyhood of a neck injury is WAY higher than a totally fractured skull, say 1000:1?

For me it's all about risk mitigation, i.e. increasing the safety odds in my favor.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 07:27:13 PM »
99% of the incidents I was on at the lakes and salt the first thing the EMT,s do is a quick check of the driver and then they put a horse collar around around the drivers neck, even if the driver is awake. This is standard practice,then they put  a back board behind the driver to support him during the extraction from the vehicle.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »
After a severe tumble in a race car or off a motorcycle while wearing a crash helmet I think i'd appreciate if the helmet ejection system was used. If the skull is severely damaged while wearing a helmet I'm sure the helmet would show some damage too and then the discretion of the medical team would be appreciated.

Pete

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 09:44:28 PM »
Jack:  I got your note asking about a "safety" thread -- and we've already got this one.  Yes, it's labeled "Shop Safety" and not "Safety in general", but we do have one that might fit the bill.  If I were to try to make it more generic - safety in general - where should I put it?  Or should we have two safety threads, each specifying which type of safety we're discussing?  I'd sure rather have just one so we don't miss something that's important, but will be willing to listen to your (and others') comments.  Safety is good, no doubt.  But if we only see one safety tip because we didn't know to look for another -- that might not be so good.

Slim,

How about leaving the thread where it is and dropping the "shop" from the title?  That would open it up for safety topics related to the drivers/riders, pits, tracks, and vehicles along with the oft overlooked or underconsidered safely towing/hauling to and from events.  Topics would be harder to miss all in one spot that we already know the location of.

Ed

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 10:33:50 PM »
Our dirt bike club folks had some fairly recent training on this.  We hold an event every year.  In summary, we are supposed to immobilize the head so it does not flop around, move it the head the absolute minimum that is needed to unkink the airway, and keep the victim stable until he/she is hauled out.  They told is the lid is sawed in half and taken off at the hospital.

That is a good idea.  They have all sorts of support equipment at the hospital to deal with what they find under the helmet and training and equipment to handle the patient's reactions upon its removal 

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2013, 01:31:14 AM »
Good idea. Drop "shop" and make the category generic "safety" to encompass any environment.