Author Topic: Weather  (Read 13211 times)

Offline bearingburner

Re: Weather
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2014, 03:53:31 PM »
-9 F here 5this morning in W. Mass. 6" snow here Thur-Fri. Much more to east along coast. 24" North of Boston.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
70dg here in S Texas today!! :-D :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 09:50:22 AM »
Sent to me by my wife - For my friend, Fordboy, who lives in Chicagoland, and whose furnace decided to go south this weekend . . .  :-o

A Chicago weather index -

60° F: Arizonans shiver uncontrollably; people in Chicago are still sunbathing.

50° F: Californians try to turn on the heat; people in Chicago plant gardens.

40° F: Italian sports cars won't start; people in Chicago drive with the windows down.

32° F: Distilled water freezes; Lake Michigan water gets thicker.

20° F: Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and wool hats; people in Chicago throw on a light jacket.

15° F: People in Chicago have the last cookout before it gets cold.

0° F: All the people in Phoenix die. Chicagoans close the windows.

10° below zero: Californians fly away to Mexico . The Girl Scouts in Chicago are selling cookies door to door.

25° below zero: Hollywood disintegrates; people in Chicago get out their winter coats.

40° below zero: Washington, DC runs out of hot air; people in Chicago let the dogs sleep indoors.

100° below zero: Santa Claus abandons the North Pole. Chicagoans get frustrated because they can't start 'da car.'

460° below zero: All atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kelvin scale); people in Chicago start saying, 'cold 'nuff for ya?'

500° below zero: Hell freezes over. The Cubs win the World Series."
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 11:10:20 AM »
Wrong, Chris.

At 60F we Arizonans don heavy coats while we ride the range.  :cheers:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 12:18:09 PM »
500° below zero: Hell freezes over.

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2014, 01:09:21 PM »
-18F in Skandia, Michigan overnight.  It was about 10 below zero in the evening while I was out in the barn doing some chores, and when I got back to the garage (which is heated to about 40) - - wow, was it ever warm in there.

It's all relative, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 07:49:30 PM »

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2014, 11:40:35 AM »
Sent to me by my wife - For my friend, Fordboy, who lives in Chicagoland, and whose furnace decided to go south this weekend . . .  :-o

Well, it wasn't like the furnace was brand new.    Now that our home is 25 years old we are going through the replacement/upgrade routine, ie:

2009/   Replaced 100 sq. ft. deck with new 540 sq. ft. deck, including repairs to jack up sagging kitchen bump out.   All me & my sons/daughters.
2010/   20 cubic yds of new, red, textured and brick stamped concrete.   New front walk, front stoop, rear walk, patio, deck approach and hot tub pad.
2011/   Repair/repaint/restain whole house exterior + deck, to match desires of red queen.   Included 300 lineal feet of new PVC trim I got tired of replacing every paint job.
2012/   New roof.
2013/   All new S/S appliances + S/S kitchen accessories + new energy efficient washer + dryer.

Had scheduled furnace replacement with energy efficient unit for May, 2014.   Missed by 4 months & a few days . . . . .    I've already scheduled the hot water heater replacement . . . . . . . soon . . . . . .

5 days without a furnace in -15 Chicago weather, no problem.    (I should add that for 12 years I ran 12 the Cub Scout Winter Challenge and for 7 years the Boy Scout Klondike Derby, and I loved it.)   Well no problem for me, the wife or oldest son.    I ran the gas oven pretty much full time, had 2 1500 watt electric space heaters on 4 hr shifts, and had the fireplace going 20 hrs/day and a fan to circulate the heat.   Stayed between 70/63 degrees inside despite outside weather.    My daughters, however, did not seem to understand the phrase, "Wear more layers.", either from dad or mom.   Go figure.

500° below zero: Hell freezes over. The Cubs win the World Series."

I'll cover any sensible wager on that, 'cause it ain't gonna happen, even with Hell frozen over.    Anytime they get close, they remember 1969 . . . . . it's goatesque.  :roll:
 :cheers:
NolongerCubsfanboy (since 1969 and counting . . . . . . .)
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein