Author Topic: Carburettor turbo...?  (Read 11782 times)

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
Re: Carburettor turbo...?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »
Kiwi.... I see you've been around for quite some time. I'm trying to track down my ancestors that came to the Northwest about 100 or so years ago, and was just wondering if you ever met any of the Baileys that settled around the Twin Falls area?    :wink: 1875 or so....

Thanks!
Smitty     :cheers:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2013, 02:41:29 PM »
.....I plan on using a Megasquirt setup and ditching the carb altogether....

I'd take a look at DIYAutotune's MS3-Pro version of Megasquirt...

http://www.diyautotune.com/ms3-pro.html

... if you want to somewhat plug and play.  I'm going to use it on my build.  Besides fuel and spark it has traction control, boost control, wide band O2 target tables and a lot of data logging abilities.  Megasquirt has come a long ways,

Sum

Offline smitty2

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2013, 02:49:01 PM »
Thanks Sum!
 Saves me a lot of grief banging my head against the "Geek Wall" at Radio Shack.

Smitty    :cheers:

Offline maj

« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2013, 03:38:40 PM »
throttle shafts can be pre pressured , done it with press in tubes (brakeline)from the sides  and sandwich plates below , i like the sandwich plate better
just have to drill a port from the base of the carb to the throttle shafts and get your air supply from a pitot tube pre carb , it will have a little more pressure than internal carb pressure and although the shafts don't seal any better they only blow out air
same air supply point can be used for referencing a mechanical fuel pump , put an air fitting in the breather hole below the pump diaphram and be sure your shaft seal is good

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2013, 11:52:07 AM »
Kiwi.... I see you've been around for quite some time. I'm trying to track down my ancestors that came to the Northwest about 100 or so years ago, and was just wondering if you ever met any of the Baileys that settled around the Twin Falls area?    :wink: 1875 or so....

Thanks!
Well Smitty, back in 1868 eyewas going to skool with a with one of the Bailey kids but asthe years go buy & ya lose contact yaknow! :cry:
  Sid.

Offline NICO10

• New folks
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2013, 04:47:19 PM »
Thanx Smitty

I know going EFI is the easy way but weres the fun in that i have ITB on my track car with a aftermarket management and trust me they are even more ful of shit and because you need someone with the know how and a laptop it can become some what of a hassle, the only reason y i want to keep the carb route is the fact that there are ppl out there who are making power of this fuelling system  so why not me......

Offline smitty2

« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2013, 05:31:31 PM »
 I hear you on that one NICO. I've put off learning about Fuel Injection long enough though... I need to advance into at least the latter part of the 20th century when it comes to technology . I have some ideas, but need more "Skoolin" to put them to work.
 Good luck with your project, and keep us up to date on the progress.

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2013, 08:18:30 PM »
   If you use a pull thru system keep in mind that the entire system is charged with a stroiciometrically [big word] perfect mixture and if you hang a valve open or break a spring everything goes: "BANG".
    Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline NICO10

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 08:04:04 AM »
Doug

Jip thats my biggest worry...... i dont want to go all the way from south Africa to the states to go and blow up hehehe......

Ill keep in researching but all in all i think that a "boost box" for the carb is the cheapest idea for me so far

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 10:10:39 AM »
  On the Buick straight 8 we started out with a Demon blo-thru system and it would have worked well if we had known that we needed to split the siamesed intake ports. During the learning curve we switched to an Electro-motive system and through some trials and melted pistons we are getting it right finally. Good luck and stop by when you are over here.
   Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline tauruck

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 11:29:42 PM »
Nico, by the time you get to Bonneville you won't even have the same car let alone a SBC with a very difficult to tune carb/turbo setup in a box.

The diagnosis is that you have a fever.
It's incurable and is Sodium related.
It gets worse and there is no known cure.

Side effects are high blood pressure, low bank balance (anemia), foaming from the mouth and all round insanity. :-D

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 03:01:54 PM »
Jeez Mike, that sounds exactly like the symptoms I seem to be suffering from!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2014, 12:55:19 PM »
Yup Joe, I'm terminal too!!! :wink:

Offline NICO10

• New folks
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2014, 12:44:10 AM »
the thing is I know what I should do .... is get a EFI system going but I wanted to try and keep it carb.......... but ill keep in searching there must be answers