Author Topic: Carburettor turbo...?  (Read 11780 times)

Offline NICO10

• New folks
Carburettor turbo...?
« on: December 23, 2013, 02:05:54 AM »
Hi there everyone im looking to Boost  :-P my performance a bit on my el caminos 350 v8, does any know know what modifications ill have to do to my Holley 600cfm to be able to handel boost.....

Nico

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Carburettor turbo...?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
depends on how much boost---but will have to have nitrel floats and boost registered fuel pressure at the very least.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 08:59:55 AM »
Hi there everyone im looking to Boost  :-P my performance a bit on my el caminos 350 v8, does any know know what modifications ill have to do to my Holley 600cfm to be able to handel boost.....

Nico

Carb mods will depend on whether the setup is a "suck through" or "blow through" arrangement.   "Suck through"  setups may only need to be able flow more air/fuel.   "Blow through" setups will need some sort of pressure compensation for the fuel delivery and "solid" (not hollow brass) floats, minimum.   Float level MAY be impacted between low and high boost levels.   I'm sure there are Holley specific things I'm not aware of.

It has been a long time since I did anything like this, just my 2 cents.   I'm sure there are guys on the board with more recent knowledge.

There are a couple of books out there that could be helpful:

HP Books  on Holley carbs   &   the Hugh MacInnes book,  Turbochargers    &   I'm sure there are other books as well.    Check the "Speedtalk" forums and do a google search.
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »
Or the old fashion way, put the carb in a pressure box... still need those solid style floats...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 12:12:46 PM »
Or the old fashion way, put the carb in a pressure box... still need those solid style floats...

Or the new buy it now simple way  :-) ...........

http://www.jegs.com/p/Demon-Carburetion/Demon-Carburetion-Mighty-Demon-Blow-Thru-Carburetors/2849647/10002/-1

.... Demon's line of blow thru carbs that are reasonably priced.  I can't find how much HP they will support but they do support more boost than one is likely to run on a SBC on the street.  I recently saw these but have no idea if people are happy with them or not.  Hooley's Stude has a much more expensive C & S carb that so far we have been real happy with out of the box but it is nowhere near like a Holley body they start with when they are done.  The carb shop and others now also offer blow thru carbs.

I use to have a link to modifying a Holley, but can't find it.  Most use the power valve circuit to activate additional fuel under boost that I've read about.  I think this is a case where I might put the money up vs. adapting the carb myself,

Sum

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:14:44 PM by Sumner »

Offline Tman

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 02:12:23 PM »
I prefer Quick Fuel carbs. And I happen to sell them :wink:

That said I would prefer them even if I did not sell them.  :cheers:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 04:57:23 PM »
If you are planning a blow through, the best advice you can get is to "buy a carb".
I've built a few over the years & my tank has a blow through Sid-built 800 Holley on a basically stock 401 & a GT37 making 600+hp on pump gas.
Unless you speak fluent carburettor, don't mess with trying to modify one.
By far the best bang for your buck it to hang a hair dryer on it. :-D
  Sid.

Offline NICO10

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 01:19:22 AM »
Hehehe well I definitely DO NOT speak carb, i always had a old friend of mine look at them.... its crappy if you didnt grow up learning to work on them  :-D

Ok so ill have to shop around to see what i could find i know i also have a 800 holley just sitting in a box maybe i can sell that and purchase a blow-trough

The idea that i have is to at first run the ute on low boost - basically with a standard motor - and then slowly work ita way up to 1000hp, so does anyone have some advice on that idea or even knows what is the max power a cast iron small block can make.....

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2013, 01:58:23 AM »
A stock 2bolt 350 in "good" condition will handle 11-lb if you're keeping it under 5 grand & are backing the timing down. That'll give you about 500hp at low altitude to scare the locals with. :evil:
There's some pretty cheap turbo kits on ebay that apparently get the job done.
  Sid.

Offline NICO10

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2013, 03:02:35 AM »
hehehe well I definitely want to scare the shit out of the locals .....thanx

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2013, 10:55:17 AM »
Ah.. I see you found the true meaning of subaru = $hit. A$$ comes up as acura. So the next time you see an Acura & a Subaru together, you'll know exactly what you're looking at. :-D :-D
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2013, 04:20:38 PM »
Ah.. I see you found the true meaning of subaru = $hit. A$$ comes up as acura. So the next time you see an Acura & a Subaru together, you'll know exactly what you're looking at. :-D :-D
  Sid.

For a man of your age you are incredibly insightful....   :roll:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2013, 04:44:37 PM »
 :cheers:  lmao
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 08:13:15 PM »
  Sid.

For a man of your age you are incredibly insightful....   :roll:

I'm workin on the two club young man!
Merry Christmas Mate.
  Sid.

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 01:17:17 PM »
The only experience I've had with trying to do a blow through turbo  was with a 390 cfm. Holley with a homemade bonnet. Solid floats are a must, but my biggest problem was with throttle shaft leakage... No matter what I tried there was always a cloud of fuel hanging over the engine when boost went anywhere over 5 pounds. I tried "O" rings, and even smeared some silicone sealer in there, but still the potential hair burner persisted... finally gave up and am now scouring junk yards for throttle bodies that seal. I plan on using a Megasquirt setup and ditching the carb altogether.
 There is always the "Pull Through" method if you don't mind the lag, and replace the turbo seals so you aren't followed by a big cloud of smoke everywhere you go.
 I'm doing a crash course in EFI and am finding it very interesting.... I love it when that light goes off above my head ( I mean "Epiphany ... not flaming hair.) .

Hope everyone had a good Christmas by the way, and best wishes for the new year!

Smitty    :cheers: