Author Topic: Formula 1 cylinder head breakdown  (Read 8093 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: Formula 1 cylinder head breakdown
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »
The new 2014 F1 engine rules are so complicated and require so much ECU power to make the engines work that I predict the guy that wins the first 2014 GP in Australia will literally be the " last man standing". Even though the new engines have a rev limit of 15000 rpm they will probably spend most of their time running in the 10,000 rpm area because of the internal friction increase above 10,000. The teams are limited to a total fuel load of 100 KG of fuel and a max fuel flow rate of 100KG/hour for fuel flow. If you use a Brake Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) rate for the typical high performance engine of .5 lb/hp hour then the max hp you could develop at this flow rate (220 lbs/ hour) would be 440 hp. If you go really lean and add the turbo you might get the BSFC down to .35 to .4 which would give you 550 to 600 hp. The additional horse power to make the engine equal to the 2013 V8 power is to be provided by the KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery System) and TERS (Thermal Energy Recovery System)systems which are of course both ECU and FIA controlled. Are we confused yet? These engines will be so complex and difficult to make into race engines as we know them  and EXPENSIVE that it is going to make F1 either a comedy or a farce.

Make the throttle pedal directly connected to the throttle butterflys and make the gear shift lever to be directly linked to the transmission and maybe real racing could happn in F1 otherwise go to the sprint and midget races as that his REAL RACING. (Bonneville is a whole different thing!)

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 10:53:46 PM »
With double points for the last race next year Formula 1 has become a total farce not worth following anymore. It's a joke with more gimmicks than there is legitimate racing. A hugely expensive joke, but still a joke. :? :? :oops:

Pete

Offline tauruck

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2013, 12:28:41 AM »
You said it Pete.

The joke's on them. Bunch of Clowns.

Next they'll be handing out trophies for good behavior and give Jennifer Button a credit card for new dresses!!!

They also have more investigations than the FBI. :-D :-D :evil:

Robin UK

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2013, 06:24:50 AM »
I gave up watching F1 regularly a few years back. It's such a shame. My Dad went to the first ever world championship F1 race and in the later years of his life I still used to take him to qualifying sessions just to experience the sound and sheer spectacle of it all. The amount of money needed to keep F1 going now is down to a flawed business model cooked up by Max Moseley and Bernie Ecclestone that sees most of it flowing into the pockets of a private equity company. I agree that all the artificial measures added to "spice up the show" have devalued it as a sport not worth watching but the technology is always interesting imo. I went to a lecture at Churchill College Cambridge last year by Paddy Lowe just before he moved from McLaren to Mercedes and I came away with the view that it's all the technical research, planning and simulation that drives most people in F1 rather than the actual racing. As an example, my wife works for a company that does really clever stuff for a number of front of the grid F1 teams. As you'll see from this link, some of the technology is applicable elsewhere and is does contribute to engine reliability. But does it do anything for the racing? Hard to see how. I heard recently that one very senior and well known F1 technician has on his personal bucket list - build a small capacity bike streamliner and run it at Bonneville. Real racing by real people in a real racing community is worth more than a ton of corporate sponsorship imo. I wouldn't mind a little bit of that though  :-D

http://www.businessweekly.co.uk/hi-tech/15838--ttp-technology-beats-the-faraday-cage-

Cheers

Robin

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2013, 12:35:09 PM »
Thanx -- I'd forgotten those were other reasons I quit watching.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2013, 10:11:23 PM »
The F1 technology is like the space program.  Some good things are developed and they trickle down to us eventually.  The concepts they develop to use fuel more efficiently will prolong the useful life of the internal combustion engine.  One of my friends says "Without EFI the V8 would be an extinct beast."