Author Topic: Passings  (Read 5287 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Passings
« on: December 16, 2013, 04:36:11 PM »
Just heard the Stu Hilborn passed this morning. A pioneer and master of the Hilborn injectors. RIP Stu. We will miss you. :-(
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Passings
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:44:08 PM »
That's sad to hear. Another true pioneer gone.

I've always had a bit of extra interest in Stu Hilborn because he was born in Calgary before the family moved south.

I've used his products a few times over the years and always found Hilborn injectors worked well.

Pete

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »
Dang, we've lost another icon....
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline desotoman

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 05:31:10 PM »
Sad news indeed. Godspeed and RIP Mr. Hilborn.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:15:50 PM »
I ran a set of Hilborn Barn-door injectors Drag Racing for 6 years, Crower barrel valve. They work so good I was afraid to try anything newer.

Time marches on, I hate to hear this sad news. No doubt racers will be talking about his contribution race for years to come.

Best wishes for the family.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:40:58 PM »
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

velocity

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 11:48:53 AM »
From National Speed Sport News:

Stu Hilborn was a pioneer of hot-rodding and an innovator in the use of fuel injectors on performance engines. Hilborn died Monday, December 16, 2013 at age 96.
Hilborn became fascinated with making speed at an early age and began toying with the idea of using mechanical fuel injection to increase the horsepower of automotive engines.
After World War II, he used his ideas to become the first person in history to surpass 150 mph racing on dry lakes.
After Hilborn’s ideas made their way into a 1948 issue of Hot Rod Magazine, his fuel injection units became popular in virtually all types of automobile racing. He later transitioned into building electronic fuel injection products.
More than 60 years later, Hilborn Fuel Injection Engineering Co. continues to be an industry leader in the design and manufacturing of fuel injection products.
Hilborn is survived by his wife, Ginny, his daughter Edris and son Duane, as well as four grandchildren and two great grandchildren.