Author Topic: Window net?  (Read 7013 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Window net?
« on: December 16, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »
Getting to that part of the build on ole Hank and was wondering who makes custom sized window nets. Just wanna make sure I get one that fits properly.

I have seen a few guys go through tech with a net that does not fit quite right, and darn sure don't wanna be "that guy".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline jacksoni

Re: Window net?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 01:17:29 PM »
RJS made mine. We sent a proper sketch with measurements (remember it has to cover everything in the door opening that is  not covered by some other panel/netting etc). It was an odd size/shape. Came back nice ribbon net like their stock stuff and fit well. I don't remember price but was reasonable/similar to their stock stuff as I recall. Besides, beggers can't be choosers too much.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
We use Stroud Safety...a custom door net is around $100, depending on size. I do suggest sending a pattern.
Joe
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 02:54:24 PM »
We use Stroud Safety...a custom door net is around $100, depending on size. I do suggest sending a pattern.
Joe

Hooley's is a Stroud,

Sum

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 03:01:26 PM »
Thanks guys! Next question, how does the bottom need to be mounted, and what does a guy have to do to make sure it fits nice and snug when in the installed position?
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 09:00:38 PM »
Most use a rod across the bottom and a rod and one or two latches to hold the top. Depends on the shape. On a full door net the bottom rod goes low INSIDE the cage near the rocker. It needs to be mounted so that no net hardware can come into contact with the racing surface in the event of an Oh Sh$t. Pics would be more helpful in the explanation. Search this site ,there are some here.

March on Joe.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 09:38:38 PM »
Mine is a Stroud - Bob walked me through the template process.  Another one of those few companies that "get it".

Mine is bolted to the inside of the cage at the bottom on the rectangular rocker panel reinforcement bar . . .

A suggestion - will likely make your fit better -

Get the top hardware and buckles welded in before you measure.  Once those are in place, you can better size the height and width, and end up with a nice, taught net.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 09:38:50 PM »
Stroud does a great job.

Make a pattern, make sure to note where you want the grommets. takes a week or less to receive your net.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Freud

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 12:15:17 AM »
If it's too dark inside get a flashlite.

FREUD
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 12:16:50 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »
Ahh the good Doctor Freud at work, always helping the underexposed!

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »
Indeed! Thanks Freud and MM! I was wondering if you could attach it like that on the bottom.  Now, would a fella run one buckle in the rear with a rod, or use that in conjunction with a buckle where the a pillar begins to slope up toward the roof?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 03:25:33 PM »
Indeed! Thanks Freud and MM! I was wondering if you could attach it like that on the bottom.  Now, would a fella run one buckle in the rear with a rod, or use that in conjunction with a buckle where the a pillar begins to slope up toward the roof?

On the stude the rod on the top goes into a hole at the back side and uses the buckle at the forward end.  You need to have the buckle where it is going to work for the application so that it is easy and quick to use on a 'bail-out'.  In our car you couldn't reach it on the back end but that might not be true for your deal,

Sum

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 04:25:17 PM »

I would think up front at the front of the top hoop. Try and picture getting to the release on your side or upside down. Lastly , take I to consideration arm restraints. I got all dressed up jacket/restraints and marked the most comfortable spot that gave me full coverage and easy exit.

Just a thought.

BR

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 05:20:01 PM »
My concern is in the area where the a pillar starts up toward the roof. If there's nothing to attach it won't the corner of the net be loose if it's only secured at the top?

Here's a picture to clarify things. Hopefully...

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »

My concern is in the area where the a pillar starts up toward the roof. If there's nothing to attach it won't the corner of the net be loose if it's only secured at the top?

Here's a picture to clarify things. Hopefully...

Use two latches....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/Window%20Net-1.jpg

.... one at the bend and ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/Window%20Net-2.jpg

....one at the top....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Hooley%202013/Window%20Net-3.jpg

Sum