Author Topic: Where to get a lakester chassis built/Austin, TX area  (Read 18481 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Where to get a lakester chassis built/Austin, TX area
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2014, 12:44:50 AM »
Google "Andy Welker Belly Tank" and check out his build on The H.A.M.B. The very first posting shows the chassis all clamped together. The resulting car is outstanding.

Pete

Offline Emil Shuffhausen

• New folks
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2014, 11:30:49 AM »
Wow. Lots of great advice. I would not have thought of a wooden building table. I can't wait to get started. I checked out Andy Welker's  build. I like his method of holding it all together.

There are some great folks here, too. I've been in contact with a couple of people off-site who are very helpful.
I'm not really Michael Caine's character from "Dirty Rotten Scoundrels".

Lee Owens

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2014, 12:46:48 PM »
Good work, fellow Forum posters.  We've got this guy SNOWED! :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2014, 05:31:21 PM »
I thought about the wood jig/fixture option.

For the money, I opted for steel, the only bitch is storing it.

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2014, 07:42:23 PM »
Udo (Bonneville Bugeye- see build)built a wooden build table- was invaluable and we recommend as well. I built my streamliner frame from PVC pipe as a mock up and can do that also. I will say, however, when measuring for the roll bars/cage height, remember clearance requirements and to wear a helmet when making and also that when you sit up (more than getting in) that you get "taller" and clearance is tough when you have been supine or nearly so. Don't ask how I know... :oops:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline awelker

• www.vonwelker.com
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2014, 10:47:31 AM »
Congrats on the tank purchase, my advice is to be patient and not get over anxious to start cutting into the tank just yet.  Do some initial planning and layout to get a feel of what you are going to build.  Tire selection and ride height will dictate a lot, and the decision of whether to flatten the bottom of the tank or not. As others have mentioned don't underestimate the space required for safety gear such as a head and neck restraint and fire suit, very important to incorporate very early on.

In addition to the frame table I would suggest some way to rotate the frame on a rotisserie to make welding and work on the bottom easier.  I found myself doing almost as much work on the bottom of my car as the top.

Overall good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions.  In my opinion (not that it's worth much) patience and determination are key to getting through this process.  It took me 5 years to build my bellytank and there was plenty of low points when it felts like it was never going to be finished.  But it is all worth it.

And yes, you will be amazed how strong hose clamps and angle brackets are holding a roll cage together.

Andy