Author Topic: The Math of a new venue?  (Read 27089 times)

Offline jl222

Re: The Math of a new venue?
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2013, 02:12:51 PM »

How about Bloodhound? Heard rumors of them building a road to there from the most unreliable person I know for telling the truth but maybe they would be interested :?

Permit for graded 16 t0 20' wide road maybe a few culverts where needed. If there is already a road just a permit to widen
it. Wishful thinking Knowing bureaucrats, I had to get permission from Fish and Game [because drainage would go into a creek miles away] for installing a culvert on extending the road to our new house, complete with drawings from our plot and grading engineering co. :roll:  

Not a good Idea for dirt road unless soil does not get slick and muddy when wet but I think the soil is mostly sandy.

Don't want nightmare of racers getting stuck and not able to get out.

Maybe someone could make a test drive looking for any problems such as major washes ect,

JL222 :cheers:

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2013, 02:58:41 PM »
Isn't there a road on the east side of the flats going to floating mountain and the military range area?
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »
Yep, it comes off I-80 at about the 37mile marker & runs along the top of the flood dyke to floating mt. It has a gate right before the pump station that requires the correct tool.  :roll:
  Sid.

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2013, 03:46:47 PM »
I'm surprised, or maybe not, that someone has not taken a Top Fuel or Top Ally car to one of the present runway venues. T/F reach almost 290 at the eigth mile. Properly detuned to live 1 or 1 1/2 mle I think 500mph is attainable. Tires would be the big issue, as well as finding someone dumb enough to try it....

Offline maj

« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2013, 05:00:48 PM »
Silver mountain road would need a lot of work, we drove it while bored waiting for the Shootout, it was damp (slippery in spots) at the time and the far side was deeply rutted by the rain
some of the road near the saddle is on a powdery alkaline dust, that would not support much traffic either dry or wet

And from what we hear from the ordinance collecting guys after hours at Carmens when there work coincides with one of the events , that end is littered with hardware 

Not impossible, just some hurdles 

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
I'm surprised, or maybe not, that someone has not taken a Top Fuel or Top Ally car to one of the present runway venues. T/F reach almost 290 at the eigth mile. Properly detuned to live 1 or 1 1/2 mle I think 500mph is attainable. Tires would be the big issue, as well as finding someone dumb enough to try it....

Not counting tires, wouldn't pass tech...... :evil:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2013, 07:33:19 PM »
The FIA Land Speed Commission just homolgated some speed records.

http://racing.ford.com/series/road-racing/news/articles/2013/12/video--fia-announces-homologation-of-speed-records-at-daytona.html

Looks like fun.   :mrgreen:  I wonder how much a week's rent would be?

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2013, 05:20:43 AM »

Congratulations to Ford.  Looks like they set Absolute World Records for 10 km and 10 miles from a standing start.

Perhaps they should have timed the 1 mile distance as well.  Could have beaten the BMW H2R record, giving them three in a row.

Offline TrickyDicky

« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2013, 05:25:41 AM »

How about Bloodhound? Heard rumors of them building a road to there from the most unreliable person I know for telling the truth but maybe they would be interested :?

It is unlikely Bloodhound will run in the USA.  AFAIK current plans are for low speed shake-down runs in Cornwall followed almost immediately by record attempts in South Africa.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2013, 06:07:50 AM »

Not counting tires, wouldn't pass tech...... :evil:

Would be allowed under the FIA, but it would be wise to change tyres. The UK wheeldriven record for the flying start kilo was set in 1970 by a dragster after a 1 kilo run to the timing trap.  Average speed was 207.98 mph.  Not sure you would see 500 (unless kph) and there was no surface preparation allowed to launch the car. 
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2013, 06:09:56 AM »

Congratulations to Ford.  Looks like they set Absolute World Records for 10 km and 10 miles from a standing start.

Perhaps they should have timed the 1 mile distance as well.  Could have beaten the BMW H2R record, giving them three in a row.

Video shows these records were for a flying start, even though a standing start was mentioned in the early commentary.

Malcolm. Derby, England

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2013, 06:46:40 AM »

Looks like fun.   :mrgreen:  I wonder how much a week's rent would be? Mike

If you wanted to run on a two mile circular banked track (oval) in the UK then you would need about $55,000 per day for exclusive use.  Would you like me to organise this for you? Location is in Bedford, England - use UK postcode MK45 2JQ on google maps to take a look at this facility and the high speed circuit.  Fastest lap so far is just under 200 mph by a roadgoing car.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2013, 11:38:16 AM »
Malcolm;

Is that the MIRA track?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2013, 12:32:27 PM »
Malcolm;

Is that the MIRA track?

No the perfect circle is at Millbrook.  MIRA has so far seen slower speeds on its oval high speed track. 

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2013, 12:40:43 PM »

Looks like fun.   :mrgreen:  I wonder how much a week's rent would be? Mike

If you wanted to run on a two mile circular banked track (oval) in the UK then you would need about $55,000 per day for exclusive use.  Would you like me to organise this for you? Location is in Bedford, England - use UK postcode MK45 2JQ on google maps to take a look at this facility and the high speed circuit.  Fastest lap so far is just under 200 mph by a roadgoing car.

What is the fastest closed circuit lap anywhere?

I found this...

fastest unofficial lap in Indy car racing history -- 242.333 mph during a practice session at what was then called California Speedway.

http://espn.go.com/racing/indycar/story/_/id/9282422/indycar-indy-needs-more-speed

Sum