Author Topic: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build  (Read 161223 times)

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
Re: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build
« Reply #345 on: March 09, 2014, 09:51:59 AM »
Just a gentle elbow nudge that no matter how carefully the mods are executed there will still be limitations native to the original design, and you won't know what they are until very late in the game.

And yes, you should do it anyway!

I absolutely agree with you!  Which is why I have researched the hell out of this motor and why I'm spending so much on custom parts for it.  It's also why I'm initially going to stay close to the factory red line of 6K until I can get a good feel for it and have it tuned correctly and see what it actually wants to do.  All in all, I'm feeling very optimistic about this build.    :-)

Scottie J

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #346 on: March 09, 2014, 11:53:35 AM »
An example of "what you won't know until 'point X' has been reached": stock T120R barrel separates at the base flange, and blows off the cases.
There isn't that much history of prior RE projects at this level, hence, you're the canary in the coal mine.

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #347 on: March 09, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »
An example of "what you won't know until 'point X' has been reached": stock T120R barrel separates at the base flange, and blows off the cases.
There isn't that much history of prior RE projects at this level, hence, you're the canary in the coal mine.

Yep!    :-D

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #348 on: March 09, 2014, 01:47:35 PM »
I like Canaries :-D

Briz has a 'hold-down' solution you may wish to consider.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #349 on: March 10, 2014, 08:10:41 AM »
I'm trying to get everything lined up for the EFI system.  MegaSquirt has recommended using 42#/hr injectors for my set up. Is anyone familiar with the "Bosch Green Top" injectors?  They seem to be the same injectors that MegaSquirt is selling, but for whatever reason MS doesn't sell the 42# injectors individually.  I did however find them on fleabay for $34 each free shipping.  Does anyone know if these injectors will handle methanol?  It says they are safe for use with gas, ethanol and E85.  And what is the actual difference in these injectors?  I can see they look different, but what's the difference in performance?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Highest-Quality-42lbs-Fuel-Injector-0280150558-440CC-/321257146363?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4acc6b07fb&vxp=mtr

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/bosch-42-lbhr-injectors-flow-matched-set-of-p-559.html

Scottie J

Offline coloradojay

• New folks
« Reply #350 on: March 10, 2014, 02:19:30 PM »
I run Bosch "Green tops" in my turbo'd VW. The "highest quality" e bays one looks just like the classic green tops, but are probably just cheaper knock offs. The Bosch greenies are the newer version of the green tops; some people refer to them as "Green Giants." I believe they are just a replacement for the older style green tops.

I would go for the genuine Bosch ones. If you are planning on running more than one injector, they are flow matched, which can help avoid lean/ rich cylinders, depending on how the plenum is built (ie. one injector per cylinder). They also will most likely have a better spray pattern, but it's hard to know without side by side testing. I seem to remember reading that the tips have a different design and the newer ones help with atomization.

The cheaper ones may be just fine though, and for the price you could buy a few and pick the ones that spec out right where you want. It's fairly easy to rig up an injector tester/ cleaner.

I've also seen sets of 4, so maybe that would be a better way to go instead of buying 8. Another option would be to buy a used set and clean/ flow them, and you still would be less than the new green.

Regardless of what you choose, if it's not exactly what MS recommends, make sure they are the same impedance, as that would cause major headaches.

These may be worth checking on:http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6707409-FS-Bosch-green-top-injectors-440cc&highlight=green+top

Lots of others for sale over there too.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 02:27:43 PM by coloradojay »

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #351 on: March 10, 2014, 05:56:44 PM »
I'd be looking at the most modern/highest volume Brit twins used in fuel motors (T120 and Commando) for extra clamping, which fins are welded together for more bolt perch, extra bolt rows, jacking screws from the frame, outboard bearings, etc. Some might be directly adaptable, others provide food for thought.
I'm wrestling with transferring my valve spring load from the valve guides to the cylinder base flange.

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #352 on: March 27, 2014, 07:40:23 AM »
Well, not much progress has been made in the last few weeks.  I've been crazy busy with auto body and paint, both work and side projects.  So unfortunately I haven't had any time at all to work on the Chief.  BUT, I did manage to find a little extra time in my busy schedule to coordinate and send out a connecting to R&R to have couple custom steel H-Beam rods made.  Man, I need to finish Alex's Impreza so I can get back on the bike.

Scottie J

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #353 on: March 27, 2014, 05:44:33 PM »
Hi Scottie

This is the difference between those Injectors, the Older EV1 style on ebay basically squirt the fuel in with virtually no atomisation, the newer EV6 style like the ones sold by MegaSquirt atomise the fuel, so get the later EV6 style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zu25-ObPUGM

http://www.sonicperformance.com.au/0-280-155-968/Bosch-Motorsport-Green-42-lbs-440cc/pd.php

Pete  :cheers:

The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #354 on: March 28, 2014, 09:45:04 AM »
Excellent!  Thanks Pete.  Expensive little buggers.

Scottie J

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #355 on: April 18, 2014, 07:28:34 AM »
Hey everyone!  I haven't done much with the bike lately.  I've been swamped with collision and paint work and I've been working on my '58 Enfield/Indian Trailblazer getting it ready for a season of riding.  I do have good news tho.  I spoke with Tom Lyons earlier this week and my custom high ratio rocker arms should be completed at the end of this month, early next month.  They are going to be a 1.45 ratio rocker, and combined with the Interceptor "R" cams we should be able to produce about .500 of lift!  This is way beyond what any Enfield Twin has ever done in the past!  Once the rockers show up, Mondello's will start the porting process and when finished, put back on the flow bench to see the results.  Once the heads and conrods are finished I'll be able to start putting the motor together and checking for clearances and what not.  Despite some peoples skepticism this motor is really starting to come together.  I've also decide that once I do have the motor assembled and test fired, I am going to install it without the blower and get the motor broken in, in NA state.  This will help me make sure that everything is dialed in correctly, but most importantly, it will give me a real life scenario of just how big of an increase in HP over stock form these mods will provide, and then also give me a comparison of how big of a difference the addition of the blower will make.   :-)

Scottie J

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #356 on: April 18, 2014, 12:27:53 PM »
Congrats on being able to assemble the motor soon and like the rest of us life can sure get in the way of these projects so just do what you can when you can.

On the na vs. blown motor I'd think the piston selection would be quite different along with the cam specs.  I'd lean towards what was best for the blown motor if you can't do both and just realize that unblown you are giving up some HP in that state.

Keep at it,

Sumner

Offline RansomT

« Reply #357 on: July 17, 2014, 08:53:39 AM »
Anything new?

Offline Scottie J

Re: Re: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build
« Reply #358 on: August 15, 2014, 09:09:16 PM »
Hi again!  Life is crazy sometimes.  I haven't made any progress on the chassis at all, buy I hadn't been doing s fair amount of fishing.   8)  But good news is that the heads are pretty much finished and just need to be paid for.  And lord are they sexy!  The custom high ratio roller rockers were the key to success in this head job as there was very little room for improvement Enfield heads.  The heads were so compact and awkward all they could do was clean up what was there and change the combustion chamber a bit.  Baseline flow figures where 132cfm per head and they are now just over 160cfm per head with a potential of .510 of lift at the valves with the Interceptor cams.  Stock lift was .328.  Blue print figures are showing 80hp NA which is double the factory HP.  With the supercharger it should be able to produce 125 HP @ 7500-8000 RPMs at the crank, almost triple the factory HP!

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #359 on: August 15, 2014, 09:33:48 PM »
Here's a link to my photobucket album with the pics of the head work.

http://s6.photobucket.com/user/lethalinj/library/Royal%20Enfield%20Twin%20Heads