Author Topic: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build  (Read 161633 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2013, 12:34:27 PM »
I remember him well enough to know that he was a drag racer of some personally-implied success, but don't remember his name.  I think it might have been "Loser" or "Dumbf**k" or something like that.  Anyone else remember him?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2013, 12:48:45 PM »
I remember him well enough to know that he was a drag racer of some personally-implied success, but don't remember his name.  I think it might have been "Loser" or "Dumbf**k" or something like that.  Anyone else remember him?

Yeah!  I remember him!  He was best friend with Jerk Mehoff!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2013, 02:03:40 PM »
Super Kaz!

I knew I had it filed somewhere -- I just had to keep opening the little drawers in my head until I found it.  Did he move north?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2013, 02:35:18 PM »
. I just find it disrespectful that anyone would tell another aspiring racer basically that your whole build idea is garbage and you won't succeed.  That's all. Scottie

Just because you didn't like the ending of his post don't look past the valuable information that was in it?  Such as the crank and cases part.  Might be areas that you have or haven't come up with a solution for.

Good luck with your build,

Sum

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #79 on: December 14, 2013, 02:43:54 PM »
What ever happened to that guy from Las Vegas, you know, from years ago, what's his name, that couldn't be deterred?

I think that was Super Kaz. He's different in that he was always looking for someone else to pay for his racing because he felt he'd paid his dues by going to drag racing school.

Pete

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #80 on: December 14, 2013, 02:46:52 PM »
Yeah, that's it -- Super Kaz.  I was close, though -- do I get partial credit for that much?  I looked it up and it's been nearly 3 years since he logged on here - and then only three times.  As I remember he wasn't enjoyed the conversations with us so dropped out for a good while - then came back to "test the waters" and once again decided that this isn't/wasn't the place for him.  Ah, well, you can lead a horse to water but you can also lead him to food and the stable. :evil: :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline bak189

« Reply #81 on: December 14, 2013, 07:40:08 PM »
It really hurts me that I made Scottie cry...with this in mind I have always been a great believer to put your money where you mouth is.......SO I will give Scottie $200.00 when he set a 2  WAY record in one of the future races at the annual BUB event.....I am good for the money as most of you know I have donated many thousands of dollars to the LSR sidecars in past years BUB events. He has to do it between 2014 and 2019 (due to the fact that at 77 years old my time is somewhat limited) plus he has to use a stock (with mods. OK) Enfield frame, one engine,
any fuel he feel that will work for him, fuel injection, blowers are OK. Hey, Scottie how is that for motivation....good luck and go for it.........................................................Love...B.B..
Question authority.....always

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #82 on: December 14, 2013, 07:48:03 PM »
Scottie, believe Bob when he says he'll offer his kind of encouragement and support.  He, like most of us, really do want to see you succeed in fulfilling your goals and dreams.  Best wishes - and enjoy the fun. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #83 on: December 14, 2013, 07:51:07 PM »
It really hurts me that I made Scottie cry...with this in mind I have always been a great believer to put your money where you mouth is.......SO I will give Scottie $200.00 when he set a 2  WAY record in one of the future races at the annual BUB event.....I am good for the money as most of you know I have donated many thousands of dollars to the LSR sidecars in past years BUB events. He has to do it between 2014 and 2019 (due to the fact that at 77 years old my time is somewhat limited) plus he has to use a stock (with mods. OK) Enfield frame, one engine,
any fuel he feel that will work for him, fuel injection, blowers are OK. Hey, Scottie how is that for motivation....good luck and go for it.........................................................Love...B.B..

And the plus side is you only have to set a record at Bubs...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #84 on: December 14, 2013, 08:53:55 PM »
..And the plus side is you only have to set a record at Bubs...  :cheers:

So I'm bored and need to try and figure out the bike classes again so I assigned myself the job of trying to find out which records would be applicable.  Here is what I came up with for current BUB records, but would be very surprise if this is correct  :?

(750cc)

(no streamlining---gas and fuel)
M-PG.........159.903...........Mellor, T................Triumph......2008
M-PF..........130.369..........Azquith, B..............BMW...........2008

(some streamlining---gas and fuel)

MPS-PG......180.317..........Mellor, T.................Triumph......2008
MPS-PF......146.351..........Hooper, S...............Velocette....2011

Is that all the current pushrod records that would apply?  I ruled out production (P) and special construct (A) since I felt they didn't apply to the build plans.

I couldn't find and blown gar/fuel record that I felt would apply:

M-PBG
M-PBF
MPS-PBG
MPS-PGF

And I didn't see any 'classic records' .  Is that right are they all open.

If all of those records are open at BUB then the $200 should be easy picking  8-), just spend some thousands in bucks and man-hours and you would have it  :-).

Their seems to be SCTA records in all the classes, but some seem very doable (easy for me to say):

(750cc)

M-PG......137.872
M-PF.......138.491
M-PBG....129.134
M-PBF.....129.937

MPS-PG......151.419
MPS-PF......150.019
MPS-PBG....136.997
MPS-PBF.....158.462 

Sum

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #85 on: December 14, 2013, 10:39:54 PM »
I'm sorry if I came across butt hurt.   LOL    I'm sure we can all agree that NONE of us knows what is going to happen for sure with this build, though we each clearly have our own speculations.

Bob, I appreciate that offer, it's a bit unexpected, but appreciated.  I'll keep it in mind to put a little extra fire under my arse while I'm building this beast.  And I tell you what, record or not, and assuming my bike doesn't explode like a hydrogen bomb sending me into the afterlife  :-o I'll buy you a beer or three and be happy to hear some of your racing stories.

:cheers:

Scottie

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2013, 12:43:48 AM »
Scottie, a fellow cannot tell another what to do, but one can say what they do and why.  My first goal was to go 100 mph.  Then, I took all I learned after doing that and aimed for 110 mph.  Next, it was aiming for 120 mph, etc.  There is a reason for doing this.  Every step is built on the previously gained knowledge.  Now I am trying to go 150 and I have eight years of experience to draw on.  It is much safer this way.  Do not get discouraged.

Offline JimL

« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2013, 01:16:41 AM »
Sum, those Mellor and Hooper records are really impressive.  There are none of us "pushrod people" on the same page with that Triumph.  I do think I have as much power in my 680cc, but my engine width, bike width, and insufficient aero development will never compete at that level.

In the SCTA records, Rossevelt's 158 plus Blown record was a really good result, two years ago.  That was a special day, to say hello, again, (after 42 years) and find ourselves side-by-side in impound....right where  we stood all those years ago.

Scottie, my little note is also for your consideration.... that you too will find the "getting of records" becomes less a challenge of "beating some guy", and more the challenge of establishing a "good record, worthy of your effort".  You will find that aspect much more addictive than you ever imagined.  You will know its happened to you, the day you drive right past impound after your first pass on an Open record.

Four decades ago, a young guy from your area (Longmont) went to Bonneville with high hopes and some pretty big plans.  Fate smiled on him for two respectable records, but the salt gave him a big taste of reality.  Life got in the way for over 25 years, but what I learned there in 1969 has lasted a lifetime.

I had a lot of good advice from some really good folks, and some of the best was "dont make an Open record your first record".  After four days of struggle to finally put 20 mph onto an existing record, I felt it fair to take an Open record later in the week.  It teaches you something extra, to chase an existing record.

The choice of a Pushrod class bike means you (we) have chosen a difficult path, indeed.  We will never be recognized in that elite of ultra-high speed record holders, absolutely because we have chosen this difficult path.  Everything we do is an experiment, and we quickly learn that we must do our own development after the "experts" discover how far up the learning curve keeps climbing.

And so, as they say, welcome to this misery.  Just like all of us....steel yourself to be humbled when occasionally it comes your turn to "watch the devil dance on the salt".  No need to worry about that, because it never ends....but you will never regret a minute of it.

JimL

PS:  Food for thought, perhaps; there was really only one chance to be the "worlds fastest Indian", but somebody else has already done that.  Any other "worlds fastest...." doesnt have the same ring to it.

And like they say, "You never get a second chance to be first".  Somehow, "worlds second worlds fastest Indian" doesnt sound that cool.

Sooo...start entertaining us in the Build Diaries with pics, and progress, and goofs, and smart questions, and dumb questions.  We all take our turn at it, thats half the fun of this hobby, you know?  :-)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:37:56 AM by JimL »

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2013, 03:07:51 AM »
As JimL says post your build and ask questions.  I mentioned on another thread that I am putting a blower on my Weslake.  Jim passed on some invaluable information and tips.  Things I hadn't thought about and without his info probably would't have thought about and would have had a frustrating SpeedWeelk next year.  Again Jim.  Thank you.

And as Jim say prepare to be humbled on occasions.  Bonneville over the past seven years has been kind to me.  But this year she dished out some humble pie.  A record I planned to kill by at least 10 mph on the first day took the best part of the week to up it by .511 mph.

As I posted earlier there is a wealth of information here.  Some of it may not be what you want to hear but all of it will be true.  Take advantage of it.  Its free.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2013, 08:05:58 AM »
Sooooo......Scottie,
All you have to do is rig up a supercharger or turbocharger on the old Indian, take it to BUB Speed Trials, and you will set a record because there are no records in the supercharged 750 "M" classes (or the Classic classes, either).  Bob will pay you $200, which will partially defray the $5-10K or more that you will have to invest to get there!  It will be a fun ride.  And, hey, nobody ever offered me even a plug nickel to set a record on the BSA.  I did it anyway.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!