Author Topic: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build  (Read 161728 times)

Offline Rasmussen

Re: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build
« Reply #300 on: March 03, 2014, 03:23:04 PM »
Scottie: I believe that's a dual fire system. A single fire system will save you valuable current if running without a generator, and is supposedly better suited for a blown bike, should you wish to go that route at a later date in your quest for going 200  :-)
It does look nice and affordable though :-)
Have you had a look at Pazon? A bit expensive, but have heard nothing but good about them, and they make complete kits, just add plugs and a battery.

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #301 on: March 03, 2014, 08:42:59 PM »
Actually I think I'm going with a Powerarc IDS system.  They are SICK!!!  Fully programmable CDI box and you can save up to 4 timing curves.  The timing curves are fully programmable throughout the entire rev range, programmable red line and keeps track of every start and every red line reached and/or exceeded.  The COOLEST part about this ignition is that you can program up to 3 individual sparks, per cylinder, per combustion cycle/stroke!  And it looks like the kit is only about $300.  This thing is bad arse!

http://www.powerarc.com/ids/c1.htm

Scottie J
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:52:52 PM by Scottie J »

Offline RansomT

« Reply #302 on: March 03, 2014, 09:48:12 PM »
What class did you decide to run in?

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #303 on: March 04, 2014, 12:23:01 AM »
What class did you decide to run in?

M/PBF-750 my first go round and try to break that record @ 129.937 mph and then I'm going to take a go at MPS/PBF-750.

Scottie J

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #304 on: March 04, 2014, 08:30:11 AM »
Any recommendations for an exhaust set up?

I hadn't thought much about this before as I was going to run a turbo.  But now that I've decided to run with the AMR500, I now have to actually come up with a plan.  I know typically, running true dual exhaust is better for performance.  For my set up, does anyone see or know of any advantages or disadvantages to running dual exhaust as opposed to running a Y-pipe to a single pipe/muffler?  My thoughts are to run a Y-pipe so I can run the exhaust along the right side of the bike to try and keep any unnecessary heat, plumbing and parts away from the belts and blower.  Also, does anyone have a muffler preference for running on the Salt?  Thanks!

Scottie J

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #305 on: March 04, 2014, 08:51:23 AM »
A Y exhaust will give you superior torque than duals... This could be good if you're pulling a very high prim/sec ratio...

Straight pipes are also good for torque.

Mufflers: there's no noise abatement society present on the salt flats  8-)

Ignition...

a) Why would you want to stick something designed to fire a rocket ship on a vintage bike?
b) How on earth are you gonna 1) understand how it works 2) tune the blo*dy thing????

Single or Dual Fire: T'will be most entertaining for onlookers if you get a wasted spark while you're on the overlap with a supercharged mix coming in the cylinder

Keep it simple to start with, then go forward...

Patrick

Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline bak189

« Reply #306 on: March 04, 2014, 08:54:51 AM »
Wasted spark with a blown engine, is trouble....been there done that...................
Question authority.....always

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #307 on: March 04, 2014, 10:55:36 AM »
Ok, well scratch the triple spark then.  It can be programmed to fire only a single spark as well.

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #308 on: March 04, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »
With the PowerArc................set your timing for the best spark desired............it is followed by 2nd and 3rd sparks a few degrees later, usually past TDC.  There is no wasted spark on the exhaust stroke.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #309 on: March 04, 2014, 12:54:13 PM »
they didn't take issue with the multiple spark they took it with the wasted spark
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #310 on: March 04, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »
Old Scrambler: it is followed by 2nd and 3rd sparks a few degrees later, usually past TDC.

:-o Well, I knew of "spark trains" in early 1900 bikes/cars, fired by a trembler...

Can only guess this ignition is designed for crap street EPA/lean engine. I know my Audi turbo TT is also firing sparks during the exhaust stroke, just to get pass the emissions (and I mean NOT wasted sparks as we normally understand them, a companion of a proper working spark in the adjacent cylinder)

Do we really need the amount of complexity/aggravation of sequenced sparks on a properly fed and properly supercharged race engine???

I certainly don't even have a retard lever/cable on me magnetos... full advance, that's all my engine needs...

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #311 on: March 04, 2014, 04:37:46 PM »
Patrick.........I tend to agree with you. The PowerArc system is claimed (no personal experience) to aid big-bores........especially V-twins. I am considering one for a smaller bore, 4-cylinder NA motor.
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #312 on: March 04, 2014, 05:24:43 PM »
Scottie,
Are you still planning on using fuel injection?  It might affect your decision on ignition options.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #313 on: March 04, 2014, 08:25:25 PM »
Wasted spark with a blown engine, is trouble....been there done that...................

Question for bak189 (and others):
Which electronic ignitions for British twins, 360 degree firing order, do not use wasted spark?  Originally, the British twins had dual points triggered by the cam, so no wasted spark.  The electronic Boyer uses two coils wired in series (as I believe does the Pazon), and both coils fire at 360 degree crankshaft intervals, so are obviously wasted spark.  Even on my single, the Boyer fires every 360 degrees of crank rotation, (the reason for which I don't know, unless Boyer uses the same triggers for both singles and twins to save money!)  I believe the early Japanese four cylinder bikes used dual coils which fired two cylinders on every rotation of the crank, so again, wasted spark.  I can't picture how any crank fired ignition can avoid the dreaded wasted spark, unless an ECU is used that can distinguish exhaust stroke from compression. So if the wasted spark causes problems with supercharging, how is this solved?  Please enlighten me, as I might want to know this in the future.
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #314 on: March 04, 2014, 09:07:24 PM »

........ I can't picture how any crank fired ignition can avoid the dreaded wasted spark, unless an ECU is used that can distinguish exhaust stroke from compression. So if the wasted spark causes problems with supercharging, how is this solved?  Please enlighten me, as I might want to know this in the future.

I would like to be enlightened on this as well.

Scottie,
Are you still planning on using fuel injection?  It might affect your decision on ignition options.
Tom

Yes, I still plan on running EFI.  Still haven't officially decided on a system yet, but there are a few that I have been scoping out.  The more I think about it the more I think I should just do some research and find an appropriate sized throttle body for a bike and building a plenum with individual injectors mounted just before the heads and running a Mega Squirt system.

Scottie J