Author Topic: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build  (Read 161221 times)

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
Re: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build
« Reply #180 on: January 23, 2014, 08:50:04 PM »
Don't be scared Patric, spend every spare moment researching,,,,
I've done without technology for 3 builds, gained a few records, lost a few more, up until this build . Iv'e been lucky, relying on the 'ol jetting + 2.2 + a tad,, then this happened

So I went the 02 gauge route,,which tells me where I went wrong, and a heap of other stuff I'm yet to find the reason for, it also saved another piston hole by telling me this,,,,,

But it's up to me to find the reason why, but BEFORE the shyte hits the fan, not after.
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline RansomT

« Reply #181 on: January 23, 2014, 10:39:05 PM »
[/URL]

But it's up to me to find the reason why, but BEFORE the shyte hits the fan, not after.
Tiny

If it was EFI, I would say fuel pressure drop across the rail.  Carb'd, hmmmm?  Leaking boost except on #1?

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #182 on: January 23, 2014, 10:40:29 PM »
....So I went the 02 gauge route,,which tells me where I went wrong, and a heap of other stuff I'm yet to find the reason for, it also saved another piston hole by telling me this........ Tiny

I agree, improving your data logging can possibly forgo traveling a very long expensive ways only to have something go wrong that might of been avoided with some data.  We have data logged at least the a/f along with throttle, egt and some other things since the second year and I'm sure it has saved our butts, especially since we were running blown gas with a roots blower and no intercooler.  Sure we still found ways to screw things up and would have to work long hours on the car, but no melted pistons or other parts.

Now with the turbo motor we log 16 items and I'm sure sooner or later we will have a major meltdown of some sort but I'd never build a car now, as long as the rules permitted, that there wasn't a lot of data logging on.  It is hard to part with $1000 to $1500 to do this when it doesn't make big HP gains, but still it can help to make some and one avoided major engine failure more than pays for the equipment.

Coming all the way from overseas or even the expense of getting to the salt and running, I'd sure want to help the stars align the best I could  :-),

Sum

Offline tauruck

« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2014, 01:14:26 AM »
One can't argue with that. :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #184 on: January 24, 2014, 06:58:10 AM »

As for the learning curve and taking things easy and steady, it all depends how far away one lives from the Salt Flats... I'm coming from GB, I can't afford 10 years of steadyness before being in a position to beat my goals!!! So I went for broke at the 1st visit...

Patrick

Patrick, Scottie is only 35 years old and lives about 8 hours from the Flats!  He's got a 30 year head start on us! 

Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #185 on: January 24, 2014, 07:47:42 AM »
You're not joking there, Kid, I really started way way late!!!

Just thinking, about data logging, I can see it's faster than in the old days, but, then, they had plug readings and that's what I have used so far as tuning aid... Remember, no electrickery anywhere on me bike apart from twin magnetos...

Patrick

Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline tauruck

« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2014, 07:50:04 AM »
It worked for Bert!!! :cheers:

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #187 on: January 24, 2014, 08:42:59 AM »
It worked for Bert!!! :cheers:

Might have taken him more than a few trips to get the bike sorted but he found gratification while making the journeys.  :evil:  :-D

Ed

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #188 on: January 24, 2014, 08:54:45 AM »
Maybe he did so many trips cause of the gratification...  :roll:

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #189 on: January 24, 2014, 09:12:16 AM »
Thanks for all your input guys!    :cheers:

I agree that data logging is crucial and vital for correct and optimal tuning.  The EFI kit I'm looking at actually has a Bluetooth interface and I can data log on my smart phone.    8-)    As far as boosting or not boosting here's the deal.  I already have a N/A bike that is essentially the same bike that I'm building, my '58 Trailblazer.  I already know what a well tuned naturally aspirated twin will do, and it's not enough for what I want to accomplish at the salt.  Besides I have hundreds of hours invested into research for boosting this bike.  I damn near gave every duck in a row and just need to start ordering parts.  Why turn back now?!

Scottie

Offline tauruck

« Reply #190 on: January 24, 2014, 10:08:09 AM »
Scottie, how about a few photos?.

:cheers: :cheers:

We're in a pic drought here man.

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #191 on: January 24, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »
I honestly have really done anything to it.  Yet.    :-D  I should be picking up the donor bike tonight after work tonight.  Ironically, it's one

Scottie of my old bikes, a '83 Suzuki GS550ESD.  So hopefully I'll get some work done on the chassis this weekend

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #192 on: January 24, 2014, 05:09:48 PM »
No problem Scottie,  We won't stop giving you the best advice we can.  What are you going to use for throttle bodies and what engine management system?  And what data logging system are you using?
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #193 on: January 24, 2014, 10:45:42 PM »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #194 on: January 25, 2014, 03:56:48 AM »
If you're thinking of running alcohol make sure all the components are alcohol compatible. It's nasty stuff in a fuel system where all materials aren't compatible. At the same time it's a really easy fuel to run when the components are all correct. It can be very forgiving.

Pete