Author Topic: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build  (Read 161762 times)

Offline wobblywalrus

Re: My '59 Enfield /Indian 750cc Chief High Compression Build
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2013, 09:32:15 PM »
Scotty, on the subject of cast pistons.  There is a lot of variability in cast pistons.  Some are pretty flaky and others, particularly the hypereutectic ones, are stronger.  The piston manufacturer should be able to give you info about their piston's abilities.  If not, it is best to use another brand.  Turbo use pretty much eliminates any type of cast piston as an option.  You will need the forged ones.

My experience with cast pistons at higher piston speeds is to periodically inspect them for cracks.  Use high magnification and look at the outside of the skirt where there are internal section changes.  Also, look for cracks at the gudgeon pin bosses and the skirt edges.

One thing I did was to also to look at the bore and rings.  Often those were in serviceable condition.  In these cases I would simply swap the pistons and use the existing rings and bores without honing.           

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2014, 04:35:49 PM »
HI SCOTT

BOY MY BRITISH IRON LOVING FRIEND, TRUST ME , YOU HAVE CHOSEN OFF A BOAT LOAD   :-o

MAD MAX

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2014, 02:13:42 AM »
Scottie fits right in with the rest of us.  A perfectly normal fellow.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2014, 08:20:20 AM »
lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2014, 10:50:38 AM »
HI SCOTT

Its me again, this time with a few things you may find of interest. The biggest engineering feet accomplished with a British motorcycle WAS ACCOMPLISHED BY BRIAN CHAPMAN. He hung a supercharge on a 500cc VINCENT COMET , running a 90% nitro, the bike turned constant 158 MPH speeds in the 1/4 mile and lived. A fellow named DAVE MATSON has been going to the salt for 35 years his ride is a Big VINCENT running at times 120 cu in on nitro PS CLASS it is said to make over 300 HP , Daves best is his 225 mph record set years ago and is still in the record books. this is the fastest ever for a British made set on motor cycle. There has been only 5 British powered streamliners that exceeded 200 mph and I think 6 set ons, and only one of those had one engine, that was Dave.  Could be wrong, but that's how I remember it , again the best of luck.   

MAD MAX

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #125 on: January 03, 2014, 11:04:17 AM »
HI SCOTT

Had the fastest timing slip for side cars at the BUB meet twice, got the prize money one time, had a paper problem with the BUB power to be.

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #126 on: January 03, 2014, 12:44:37 PM »
Thanks for the info Mad Max!  And what normal man wants to take the worlds most underrated motorcycleto the salt to break speed records?   LOL  It's actually the main reason why I'm doing this with an Enfield.  Because no one else wants to.    :-D

I'm in the process of tracking down a donor bike so I can start on the chassis.  Hopefully I will get one this weekend.

Scottie

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #127 on: January 03, 2014, 03:36:16 PM »
HI SCOTT

Not a stranger to ENFIELDS, had them all , If you go to my web sight vincentstreamliner.com you will find setting in my den when I
lived in Grove Oklahoma The following restored ENFILDS, BULLET , CONSTILLION, METOR, CHIEF AND IN THE GARAGE A FURY. IF you start making horse power with the chief you will need a better clutch, and transmission, conceder short roding in the build. AGAIN THE BEST. LIVE YOUR DREAM SCOTT, this 75 year has, don't have a lot of money but I do have a lot of stories. 

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2014, 10:54:04 AM »
I've been trying to look into the possibility of running a blower instead of a turbo and I am having one hell of a time trying to find something specific for smaller displacement bikes.  Can anyone here toss me a bone and post some links that I can look into?  Thanks!

Scottie

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2014, 01:04:27 PM »
Lars Nielsen, the Danish guy (Octane on this Forum), built his old bike with a driven blower.  I'll see if I can find it and give you a link.

Here's one of them -- but not the one I had in mind:  http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1686&sid=38163703502fbd58d7acf42d9ccffc99

I'll try to find his one on lr.com.  Ah, yes -- here it is:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5849.0.html
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 01:11:02 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2014, 03:51:26 PM »
Hi Scottie,

Mine's a blower as well... Japanese Ansin AMR500, as found on small japanese cars, sourced in Australia where they pop often enough on ebay...

500cc per rev, you can spin them a lot, mine safely geared for 11000rpm... Octave one on his Indian is an Ansin AMR300, 300cc per rev

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,8744.30.html

Patrick
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 03:56:10 PM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2014, 10:40:24 PM »
Scottie, it is a good idea to look real close at what Briz is doing with his BSA.  An item of interest is how he is using a frame with an open engine bay and mounting the motor and trans with plates.  Sort of like a McCandless framed Norton.  He can put a few different engine, primary, and trans combos in there if he wanted.  This is a very good idea for a younger builder.  It gives flexibility to go in different directions in the future without needing to build a new frame.  The triangulation around the steering head is another good idea.  Most older bike frames do not have it.  It is a good idea for anyone wanting to go fast.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »
I picked up an Aisin AMR300 recently.  Strangely enough I found it in Sacramento.  There are a couple of places in Oz that sell Aisins.  Don't have the addresses to hand but I'll post them as soon as I can find them.  Seems to me a better way to go than a turbo.

Patrick.  I have to ask.  In your photo the top mounting on the blower is not being used.  Was it simply not there for the photo or are you mounting it somewhat differently?  One other question.  Do you run a bypass valve?

Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2014, 05:49:49 AM »
Hi all, Hi Bill,

My blower is not fixed at all on the frame, it is part of the engine. Big vertical bracket bolts on the rear engine mount, that has 4 horizontal threads on top of the gearbox casting. The bracket is sandwitched between the Ansin main casting (gear side) and its outer cover, plus 6 longer screws.

Then one 1/2 thick alloy plate between crank drive and Ansin that act as as torque arm, it makes it impossible for the blower to go forward or backward. It required a bit of setting up, to start with, the belt had a tendency to "jump", but it did not took too long to mod a bit to suit. No problems since on the belt drive...

I do not run a byepass valve. Some of you here warned me about the "slowness" of a pressure relief spring set up, so my main safety is a burst panel, mix of cardboard and pasticised alloy sheet, has burst a few times on blowbacks, so good enough... Get stressed very fast, we changed the panel at every run last year...

Bye for now, see you next year, I'm moding the bike like furious...

Patrick
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:06:09 AM by thefrenchowl »
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline Kansas Bad Man

« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2014, 07:08:21 AM »
NeatSstuff, pay attention scotty , words can save you lots of money and give you free MPH on a timing slip. best MAD MAX