Author Topic: History...  (Read 7301 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

History...
« on: December 04, 2013, 12:35:41 AM »
Since there's no HISTORY forum, I'm taking the liberty of asking a historical question here in the RULES forum:

In the earliest SCTA years (was that '37 or so?) was there a STREAMLINER class? If that came later, did the LAKESTER class begin at the same time? The little that I've read about it gave me the impression that the term 'lakester' was originally applied to any car built exclusively for lakes racing (not  a coupe, sedan, roadster, etc.) and included what are now classed as streamliners and lakesters. Comments?
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 12:38:59 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Tman

Re: History...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 09:25:24 AM »
When the wheels got covered the lakesters and the streamliners went on divergent paths. Robert Genats book THE BIRTH OF HOT RODDING is a great read for those of us that were not there in the early years. Page 126 discusses the development

Offline RichFox

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 11:40:42 AM »
It's my understanding that what we now call Lakesters were once called streamliners. After the war when fully enclosed cars started making an appearance, the classed split into lakesters and streamliners. I also believe that the earilest 'liners were mostly narrowed roadsters made into one seaters. Something that would now be not class legal. Shame about that. 

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »
Turn back the clock and go over seas to 1935, if not for the rear wheel covers and the front fairings this would be at home today as a Lakester?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Union_racing_car
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Tman

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 12:09:12 PM »
Turn back the clock and go over seas to 1935, if not for the rear wheel covers and the front fairings this would be at home today as a Lakester?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_Union_racing_car

Yes.

Offline tortoise

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 12:17:00 PM »
Today, if the streamliner record for a particular class is soft, you see lakesters with rear fenders tacked on running as streamliners at Elmo.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 01:05:28 PM »
. . . and Bonneville.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 03:13:43 PM »
The "Chrisman" early dragster as some now see it started on the lake bed as a streamliner. Sorry I can't remember who built it. Art lengthend it. Some of these single seat roadsters were also know as "gow jobs".....................JD 
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »
The "Chrisman" early dragster as some now see it started on the lake bed as a streamliner. Sorry I can't remember who built it. Art lengthend it. Some of these single seat roadsters were also know as "gow jobs".....................JD 

Orville "Snuffy" Welchel in the 30s according to the above mentioned book.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 03:58:15 PM »

This car:

:?

Best to check Batchlor, American Hot Rod, page 17 or even Street Rodder  http://www.streetrodderweb.com/milestones/0007sr_jack_art_chrisman_dragster/

I've found Genat to be less than reliable.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 04:53:09 PM »

This car:

:?

Best to check Batchlor, American Hot Rod, page 17 or even Street Rodder  http://www.streetrodderweb.com/milestones/0007sr_jack_art_chrisman_dragster/

I've found Genat to be less than reliable.

Mike

I should have ran Genats whole quote. He did not say Snuffy built it, only that he was one of many owners. Thanks for the extra write up!

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »
It's my understanding that what we now call Lakesters were once called streamliners. After the war when fully enclosed cars started making an appearance, the classed split into lakesters and streamliners. I also believe that the earilest 'liners were mostly narrowed roadsters made into one seaters. Something that would now be not class legal. Shame about that. 
I'm with Rich. :-)
  Sid.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 06:12:38 PM »
Don't pine too much -- we've got a narrowed Comp. Coupe coming up.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 06:24:21 PM »
I suspect that it is more of an art project and will run time only. If I ever get the RFTA up and running, I'll class it with the streamliners.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 07:17:41 PM »
For the sake of historical correctness, Snuffy Welchel's modified was a two-springer, not a three-springer:

http://www.rodandcustommagazine.com/thehistoryof/0905rc_dry_lakes_racing_history/photo_14.html

Genat was wrong in his identification.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!