Author Topic: Speed Record For Vintage Motorcycle Under 1000cc  (Read 8020 times)

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
Speed Record For Vintage Motorcycle Under 1000cc
« on: December 03, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »
Hi there,

I'm building a 1959 Indian Chief for Bonneville.  I'm having trouble deciphering what the record is for my bike I'm building.  It will be a vintage modified under 1000cc.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Scottie

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Speed Record For Vintage Motorcycle Under 1000cc
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 12:59:33 PM »
Scottie, it is only vintage if you plan to race at the Bub... The Enfield Indian Chief does not hit vintage (pre 57) for the SCTA and USFRA meets.  I think the Bub calls the 35 YO bikes classic class.
Don't know if there is a record yet.  Check the AMA site
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Online Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 01:47:14 PM »
But that doesn't mean you can't run it at SpeedWeek.  You just might have a lot stiffer competition with newer bikes.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 02:25:19 PM »
Honestly, I just want to claim the right to the worlds fastest Indian and Royal Enfield at the same time.  Between the engine build and gearing I'm hoping to break 200mph.  I realize this will be incredibly difficult but I've been researching this build for a year and I'm confident it can be done.  I just need some direction as to what records currently stand in this class.  I don't have a rule book yet as I'm waiting for the new edition to be released.

Scottie

Offline sabat

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 02:33:21 PM »
Bike records are here:

http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/Records/Bikes.html

Stainless holds the Modified gas record at 208. Pretty stout. The Modified Fuel record is 197, maybe you could shoot for that.

If you can find a 1956 or earlier frame, the Vintage Fuel record is 121.

good luck,
Dean

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 03:01:32 PM »
Very cool!  Congrats Stainless!  What bike did you achieve that speed with?

I'm new to land speed racing.  I've always been intrigued by it, but this is my first attempt at building and competing so please forgive all my newby questions.

Scottie

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 08:36:17 PM »
Well it looks like the online list is afu again... the MG record belongs to Jason McVicar at 185, our 208 was partially streamlined before the long tail bodywork for A. Josh Owens holds the A/G on my GSXR 1000 at 182...
If you are planning open bike, I'd go for M or A/G or Fuel, open bike with a good tuck and small rider could be 200 on N20, 190 on gas.... going to guess those speeds are also the HP required to do the speed...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Online Stan Back

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 08:46:21 PM »
Scottie --

Stainless (although he's been stained) knows what he's talking about.  Get a Rule Book, even an old one.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Scottie J

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 09:25:42 PM »
I guess it'd help if you knew what my plans were, huh?    :-)

I'm blueprinting the motor to hopefully a 13.5:1 dynamic compression ratio, CP pistons, Carrillo rods, sending the rotating assembly to Falicon Cranks and plan on running methanol.  I sent the heads to Ace Cafe who works with Mondello's and they are awaiting to go on the flow bench for their baseline flow.  I'm going to be using the original drive train and frame, are there any rules against upgrading the suspension/brakes/wheels?

Scottie