Author Topic: Legend cars  (Read 15727 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Legend cars
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2013, 09:51:52 PM »
Jimmy - should me and my 80" wheelbase be taking offense?  :-D

Okay, the stone is wet - let me get my axe out.

I don't think the comparison between the Hondata car and a Legends car based on wheelbase alone is fair - in fact, I think it could be misleading.  A short wheelbase is about all the two would have in common.

A short wheelbase car can be safely driven at high rates of speed provided the chassis is well sorted, the aerodynamics are correct, and the speed the drivetrain is capable of propelling the vehicle doesn't exceed the car's or the driver's capabilities, or the track conditions. 

At 94", the Insight's wheelbase is only 2 inches shorter than the MG EX 181 streamliner, which ran just shy of 255 in 1959.

I would argue that based on the funky aero of a Legends car that they would not be a good choice for LSR, and would probably be a handful to top out, especially considering the power capabilities of the motorcycle engines they run.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 12:44:52 PM »
MM. I drove a 65 Sprite for over 10 years and found it to be reasonably stable at hiway speeds. It could be dicey when others around you became "distracted" drivers and I'm sure 130 is a lot different than 65. They do have pretty quick steering. I don't know, are you planning on 200 with your car? Things change as speed increases sometimes drastically.

As for Dwarf/Legends I do not say why not I say why. If one went through what I feel would be needed like much slower steering etc and everything else needed for straight line competition and at the end what would it prove. Comparing the Dwarf body to George Fields car is all wrong. The Fields Comp Coupe was built from a stock automotive body. A Dwarf/Legends body is all fake.

Look at the "pesudo sprint car" that ran this year. Spins with a few good runs nearing 200.

There were many short wheelbase small engine streamliners in the past but today for the most part they are lawn darts with longer wheelbases for stability and a narrow tread width which give some time for correction. And before Roadsters are brought up; many, many, more have gone straight than ever spun even once. We spun once and made an alignment adjustment and never did again making the car much more stable.

Everyone needs to be a careful driver and I for one don't need to see every creation run or possible cause our form of motorsports be in jepordy. I would like to see TIME ONLY stopped. But hey I'm only one is a large sea of owner/drivers.................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 02:42:18 PM »
Thanks for the replies  :-).....so in answer to my question  T.O. as is unmodified.....streamliner or lakester  modified to comply with the rules.

A wide range of opinions as usual ....good to see the diversity .....any idea how one could get in touch with Bruce ?

cheers 

slower than most

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2013, 06:02:09 PM »
bharmon77... has an email link or try a PM. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2013, 04:51:29 PM »
The Roll Cage Tubing size might be the decider, maybe  :?

Pete
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2013, 07:04:45 PM »
 "Comparing the Dwarf body to George Fields car is all wrong. The Fields Comp Coupe was built from a stock automotive body. A Dwarf/Legends body is all fake."

A small point not relevant to too much really but George's comp coupe is actually a glass body.
  Sid.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2013, 07:27:50 PM »
So is my roadster along with 99.9% of them.........
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2013, 08:00:19 PM »
Ours must be that 1 in a 1000.  I think ours is metal, unless the fiberglass is somehow rusting.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 08:05:51 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2013, 10:51:24 PM »
Yep

Offline Tman

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 11:19:31 AM »
Legend racers are no more a car than a go cart is.
TimeOnly or WOS clubs.  No records but it could be fun.
Going really fast with short wb isn't fun.  BTDT.

A certain Sprint Car found that out last year  :wink:

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 03:28:36 PM »
I'm interested in going circuit racing with my streamliner, it's just over 40ft long. What class would it run in? :?
  Sid.

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2013, 05:39:21 PM »
 8-)

Offline dw230

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2013, 06:16:54 PM »
Not a Legend car, 30ish Bantam .

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »
i wasnt completely sure.  and i dont know bantams for shit.  thanks dan.

Offline Tman

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 09:44:34 AM »
Not a Legend car, 30ish Bantam .

DW

Yeah, legend cars are bigger :-D