Author Topic: Best Car/Way to Start for LSR/Texas Mile  (Read 9952 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Best Car/Way to Start for LSR/Texas Mile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »
The salt is not hard on cars.... it's destructive if you don't do a really good clean up. And long term it will take a toll.  But that does not keep any of us and thousands of others from driving on the salt.  I've seen folks out there with $100K hot rods and $2K rat rods,  Ferraris and Morris Minors, Muscle Cars and Chevettes.  So if taking your current fast car to the salt scares you, I would stick to running paved miles.  Otherwise just drive out in September and give the 130 club a shot.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jimwebb

• Nuts Racing Home
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2013, 09:26:14 PM »
Bernie's bone stock Cobalt with a supercharged 2.2L Ecotec ran 129 over and over again at Goliad (the old Texas Mile). We drove it there and drove it home. If you want to run the Mile, you can start with a 'street' car and run it over and over and over again. It is great fun and the cleanup is a snap!
If you want something relatively easy to work on, a truck works good. Heed all that Sparky said. A liner or lakester properly set up for the salt won't get going well in the Mile and you'll need more brakes than you'd want on the salt.
The Big Red Truck From Texas
Chock Full O' Nuts
Record Holder AA/PP A/PP B/PP C/PP D/PP (Oops, Larry got this one!) E/PP

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2013, 10:14:13 PM »
How about a Blue Modified Roadster. I'd trade it for a Lamborghini, no boot necessary.  :-D :-D 
Sorry couldn't resist.
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2013, 10:24:58 AM »
How about a Blue Modified Roadster. I'd trade it for a Lamborghini, no boot necessary.  :-D :-D 
Sorry couldn't resist.

could lose money on that deal Richard....  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »
 :-D
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2013, 09:47:36 PM »
I dont have a rulebook on me, but i dont recall anything saying that the car needs to be a registered street legal car for 150 club- maybe for 130 club tho. Ill have to double check that. You might be right on that aspect of the question.

I built my Midget as an SCTA spec car - my first SCTA-BNI event was this year - but because the speed I was running on was a SCTA record below 130 mph, I was able to get the USFRA to okay me running in the 130 club in 2010.  That was an e-mail and a phone call - the USFRA was gracious and accommodating.

I also ran ECTA in 2011 - the car was cleared for 130.

I guess the general rule of thumb is if it will pass SCTA-BNI tech, it would be an odd anomaly that would prevent it from passing tech anywhere else.

Not taking anything away from ECTA, but if you build to the SCTA standard, you'll likely be able to race anywhere from Loring to Lake Gairdner, and anyplace in between.

Seeing what they run in Texas - I guess a blown Soap Box Derby car would probably pass there . . .

As an aside, I took the Midget to Great Lakes Dragaway for a tune and test day.  No problems there, either.

Something about an 8 second cage in a 16 second car . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 10:20:26 PM »
 :-o  lol
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!