Author Topic: K Streamliner  (Read 34670 times)

Offline jdincau

Re: K Streamliner
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2013, 06:45:14 PM »
I still like the roadster better.

Well -- I'm prejudiced.  I think that means having an opinion without real sensible backup.

Well Stan since the roadster is mine and the streamliner is Mikes, I like it better too. I am assuming you mean the street roadster not Ken and I's modified.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: December 02, 2013, 06:50:17 PM »
I like the modified..........   :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 07:43:17 PM »
Regarding Aircraft Windshield, I used them and I couldn't be happier.  :cheers: Super service and product. Wayno

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #33 on: December 02, 2013, 08:24:30 PM »
Jim, is this still rear steer???
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jdincau

« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2013, 08:27:51 PM »
yep

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2013, 09:13:27 PM »
Jim, is this still rear steer???

:-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o  :-o

Yep.... OK, time to dish out a little more info here boys....

I thought back in 1980 the rules were changed to say a car steers with 2 front wheels.....
Although I know some guys with some RWS experience, in a K streamliner....
So how is it going.... we need to see how you are making it work
Yes, I do know that the fastest car in the world steers from the rear....
I would like for somebody to show it will really work... last guys kept tipping over... last time it tipped over about 6 times before it stopped.

Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline jdincau

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2013, 11:29:06 PM »
Stainless,
     You of course are right, if we run a record speed it will not be certified as we do not meet the definition of a "car". You may or may not remember back in 2007 I surveyed you, the guy on the east coast with the roadster and Donnie Johansen regarding experiences with rear steer. We are not replicating any of that engineering. After a careful perusal of all available data on the rear steer jet car we decided to go with that design. That being no caster, an EXTREEMLY rigid mechanisim and ZERO play in the steering linkage. While we have had it past 60 MPH on the dry lake bed we still have to prove that it will work. The SCTA has set us a series of milestones to accomplish before they will take the yellow tag off and we had to apply for and sign a hold blameless waiver regarding both the rear wheel steering and front wheel only brakes.
     You might ask why we would go to all this trouble when we can't actually set a record. As Dan is fond of saying it isnt a bucket list item it is a lifestyle. Lots of people told us it wont work but no one says why (One engineer told us it wont work because it totaly depends on rear wheel traction to steer). We aim to find out.
    Also Mike wanted a design with a minimum frontal area to enclose a supine driver using published design data for a minimum drag body. We have paid close attention to pressure recovery, area progression and keeping all surfaces to their design specs. The outer skin defines the car.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 12:03:03 AM by jdincau »

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2013, 02:19:02 AM »
Rear steering works.  2,500,000 forklifts can't be wrong.

Offline aut0m4tic

• New folks
Re:
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2013, 02:27:08 AM »
So what kind of drivetrain are you using? Is that a t-case I see in the picture? A friend and I been pondering a front wheel drive streamliner for the last year, and have finaly started gathering parts.  Just wondering what type of setup your using.

Cory

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2013, 07:07:21 AM »
Rear steering works.  2,500,000 forklifts can't be wrong.

With front wheel brakes as well.  I had some "fun" moments getting used to driving some of those set ups though.......

Ed

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2013, 08:20:03 AM »
 A friend and I been pondering a front wheel drive streamliner for the last year, and have finaly started gathering parts.  Just wondering what type of setup your using.

I suggest that you also gather up some sort of overrunning or freewheel for when you let up or blow up.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 11:41:56 AM »
Well you have my attention!  I look forward to seeing it go record speed, and I hope that the SCTA waives that rule for the car, made specifically because our attempt at rear steer was not too successful, and certifies it for that record. 

If you can make it work with rear steer, it is a 4 wheel vehicle and has 2 wheels steering, it is car... Buckminster Fuller would be proud of you.
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2013, 12:12:05 PM »
Well you have my attention! ..

Mine too!!  I use to have a ...

...motorized buck rake, similar to the one in the picture above.  It was use to pickup loose hay that was a converted late 40's GMC truck where they flipped the axle and  mounted a seat backwards and had the hydraulic fork mounted over the rear axle and you drove around backwards with the front wheels now the rear wheels/rear steer.  A very interesting vehicle to drive at times especially since they didn't 'flip' the steering and you steered right to go left. 

One thing that I think would really be different on the salt is you need so little steering on a run that you could really limit the ability for the wheel to turn much and set it up with slow and limited steering input.

I was really hoping the streamliner was front wheel drive and steer.  I wanted to see how the common jackshaft was made with custom ends and spindles to do that.

It will still be a very interesting car to follow and hope the best for you guys,

Sum

Offline Tman

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2013, 12:21:07 PM »
Neat little car, I saw it at a distance at Speedweek. Wish I would have taken a closer look.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2013, 01:31:40 PM »
What is the weight distribution?
All of the engine, fuel, and water is in front of the front tires.
That is unloading the rear tires at the same time.
You can always add weight to gain steering authority, but that's extra weight to drag. Very different from adding weight to gain traction.

Is there a differential?

That very long exhaust tube after the expansion chamber? Why not exit at the stinger?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.