Author Topic: Couple of Rules Questions  (Read 4680 times)

Offline DutchC

• New folks
Couple of Rules Questions
« on: November 27, 2013, 03:15:38 PM »
Hi Folks,

I have a couple of questions about the rules. This year we ran into the same issues that NRHS Sales posted about (wheelbase > 10% above stock does not allow one to use the Altered Class with a pretty much stock frame). That was our first year, so running simply as time-only wasn't a big deal (wouldn't have broken any records anyways). We had a great time and our looking to be more competitive next year :)

I have a couple of newbie questions for the experts:

- If we were to run 1000-P-AG, are we required to use the stock exhaust? Does the production frame class (xxx-P-xxx) require bone stock exhaust?

-  Do you have to lose the fairing when running 1000-M-AG?

- Follow-up question to the M class. AMA Rulebook 5.J. Mentions an Open Class. How does this fit into the M class? If you're in the Modified class, does that mean you have to run Open. Or how should I read that paragraph? Is there a separate class 1000-M-AG open vs non-open?

Thanks!

Offline Uncle Jimbo

Re: Couple of Rules Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 05:13:22 PM »
Hey Dutch  -  Iam far from being an expert on some rules, but the answer to you first question seems to be in the first paragraph Chapt. 4 Production ( P )  Frame Class -
"Shall not be modified from Original Equipment at time of manufacture.  e.g.,  frame, forks, gas & oil tanks, seat, lighting, fenders, wheels, brakes, air intake box, and unmodified exhaust system   :-o
I have found it best, when specific rule interpretation needs to be right on, and I am not quite sure how to interpret said rule - - I call  BUB, or BUB's AMA Chief Technical Steward - kind of a cool guy that wears bib tops, plays a mean guitar, is a grade AAA mechanic, and to boot - He's the guy that would make the final judgement on the question at hand.
P M a question to him or give him a shout out here.  -  AHG  - Most likely to have the final word.  Drop him a note -   :cheers:

Have fun with your build
Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline DutchC

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 11:42:19 PM »
Hey Jimbo,

Thanks for the info! Yeah I thought I read that as well re. the exhaust, but wanted to make sure. Thanks for looking that up. I'll send an email to the chief inspector to see about the other questions. Looking forward to the next one.

Thanks!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 11:27:01 AM »
P-P is a production frame class motorcycle with production engine class and the exhaust cannot be modified. Nothing external can be changed to the engine, wide open modifications inside. Gasoline only.

1000-P-AG would be a production frame with an A class engine on gas.
A engine class is unlimited in design. In SCTA racing it isn't allowed with a P frame. You would have to check to see where the exhaust falls rule wise.

M or A frame class is the "open class" referred to in the rules. No streamlining. No tape on the forks, nothing. Stupid wording has been in the rules a long time. Still confuses everyone.
MPS (M frame class with PS partial streamlining) or APS allows partial streamlining.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.