Author Topic: Whole house generator exhaust  (Read 13592 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Whole house generator exhaust
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2013, 05:02:26 PM »
They make tail pipe extenders for out side generators on motor homes and travel trailers for that reason. And they are a little quieter
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2013, 06:46:42 PM »
Thanks for your concern, gents.  The garage is a completely separate unit -- about 30 feet from the house with nothing but air and a sidewalk connecting them (well, wires and pipes, but they're not very good carriers of noxious gases.  Yes, I could build a dog house - that's a fine idea - but since the generator is in the garage and separated from the house anyway -- I don't think it's necessary.  I'm always (repeat ALWAYS) cautious when going into the garage and the generator is running - open a door first to make sure there's a fresh air supply just in case the unit has built up some stinky stuff in the garage.  If nothing else I like having the generator in the garage for the extra heat it provides.  The garage is already heated and very well insulated (6" walls, 12" ceiling), but what the heck - more heat, for free, is fine.  The insulation also helps keep the generator noise down to sleeping quietly levels, too.

As for starting it more easily - well, no matter how well the (outdoor) doghouse is insulated - it'll almost certainly be at ambient outdoor temp when I go to start it (unless I provided a heat source in the doghouse).  The garage thermostat is set at no lower than 41F so the generator has that temp to start.  It usually starts on the second tug of the starter rope.  I do run it every few months to make sure -- let it run for 5 - 10 minutes to make sure the thing has had a good warm-up.  As for gas -- I keep a 5-gallon jug of it, clearly marked "For Generator Only" right near the generator.  I put Stabil in the gas so it'll easily last a full year, and then I do run that gas through the Subaru engine and buy a fresh 5-gallon jug.

Here's a photo taken from the house.  You can see the garage on the far right side, and you'll have to trust me when I tell you that it is completely separate.  I just don't have a photo handy that shows it
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2013, 07:41:50 PM »
Jon,
What is all that white stuff in the pic?  :? .....LOL!  :evil:  :-D

Hope you and Nancy have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Gregg
In relatively warm and snowless NC

Sorry for the hijack!  :-D

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2013, 07:50:29 PM »
That, my friend, is "snow flurries".  And the picture is out of date by a few days.  Since then Rick, our local woodcutter, has delivered, cut, split, and stacked more firewood for us.  Now there is one full and one half row in front of/outside the shed.  The shed is about 12 x 8 x 8, so measures 6 FULL cords.  Add in what's in front and we've got about 7 cords, at least.  And that should get us through this entire heating season and a few weeks, at least, into the next one.  nice and warm here -- come on up for a visit.  I'd let you fling logs into the firepot of the boiler and, if you ask really nicely, maybe I'll let you plow some snow with the Bobcat. :roll: :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
Those "snow flurries" would shut NC down for 2 - 3 days. It's really funny to watch how people handle snow here.
As for the invite and the boiler and Bobcat thing I think I'll pass.....Seems like to much work LOL!

Now if you could find me one of the these to play with, I'd be there by the weekend:

Gregg

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 09:52:35 PM »
Well, item #2 -- I can find for you pretty easy.  Ben Yelle, a local heavy truck mechanic, rides one.  It's basically a snowmobile with a skinny track, regular snobile engine, forks and a single ski.  Close enough -- and I've seen it in his shop a couple of times.  I expect I could get him to let you take a ride.  Bluff called, Greg.

As for the others -- well, nope.  I don't think I've got access to any of the threesome.

So you're not coming up here for Winter Carnival -- do I read that right?  You'll miss a great time. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline mitchell968

« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 10:26:07 PM »
this sweety is waiting for a winter carnival   :evil:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2013, 12:25:43 AM »
Jon, remember your old friend, the porta-potty.  Flip the seat down and set it in one of those.  Route the exhaust to the poop tank vent.   

gkabbt

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2013, 05:44:25 AM »
Well, item #2 -- I can find for you pretty easy.  Ben Yelle, a local heavy truck mechanic, rides one.  It's basically a snowmobile with a skinny track, regular snobile engine, forks and a single ski.  Close enough -- and I've seen it in his shop a couple of times.  I expect I could get him to let you take a ride.  Bluff called, Greg.

As for the others -- well, nope.  I don't think I've got access to any of the threesome.

So you're not coming up here for Winter Carnival -- do I read that right?  You'll miss a great time. :-D

Jon, VERY good comeback!  :cheers:      Wasn't expecting that!  :-D

As for the Winter Carnival, remember that I do like to take serious road trips!  When and where? Might be a possibility!  :-o

Gregg

Offline Frank06

Re: Re: Whole house generator exhaust
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2013, 07:46:47 AM »
Nice toys!

+1 on Sta-Bil, I use the Marine grade and only run my generator once or twice per year to exercise it.  We have battery backup and usually(but not always!) things are back online within the one day storage time we have.
E-Racer

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 09:56:14 AM »
Here you go, Gregg.  Take a look at the photos -- and then also look around at the other Winter Carnival URLs.  I went to Tech -- was a snow statue builder when I lived in Co-ed Hall.  It was quite an experience -- Winter Carnival in toto, that is.

http://www.mtu.edu/carnival/gallery/

http://www.mtu.edu/student-activities/traditions/winter-carnival/

http://www.mtu.edu/carnival/gallery/results/

It's the first weekend in February, usually.  Check out the dates - and let me help you make your reservations.  Most of the lodging up in the Copper Country will sell out well in advance, but I should be able to find a room for you if I start looking now.  C U at Carnival!!! :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
That pic from  your July 4th party Jon ???
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 01:05:50 PM »
Jerry, Jerry -- you won't give it up, will you?  Summer here in the UP is a great season to enjoy the outdoors wearing very little and gathering lots of sunshine.  And, better still -- if summer happens to fall on a weekend day we can go on a picnic, too! :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2013, 05:29:28 AM »
Jon, Thanks for the info on Winter Carnival. Looks and sounds like a good time!
Not really sure I'll make that as I am planning to get out to Pomona for the GNRS.
As I said before, I do like road trips so we'll just have to see what happens.

Gregg