Author Topic: Century of Speed: Celebrating 100 Years of Bonneville  (Read 12662 times)

Land Speed Lady

Century of Speed: Celebrating 100 Years of Bonneville
« on: November 25, 2013, 02:08:12 PM »
Mark your calendars!! Two big SCTA events in the same weekend!

January 24th through January 26th is the annual Grand National Roadster Show at the Pomona Fairplex, but this year will provide a treat for the Land Speed enthusiast, as well as an opportunity to welcome new people to the wonderful world of Land Speed Racing!
For the very first time, LSR cars will have their very own special feature building at the show! The past, present and future of Bonneville will all come to life as we celebrate the 100th Anniversary of racing on the Bonneville Salt Flats at the Grand National Roadster Show at the Fairplex in Pomona CA.   Help us honor the last 100 years and help preserve its future.  See the most elite gathering of the World’s Fastest Vehicles ever driven at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

The “Century of Speed” exhibit will celebrate the 100 year anniversary of land speed racing at the Bonneville Salts Flats and raise awareness of the current “Save the Salt” campaign. It will feature 100 of the greatest Land Speed record cars and motorcycles of the past one hundred years. There will also be a special gathering Thursday for the vehicles owners to enjoy the exhibition before it is open to the public. A special book signing will take place every day, so please join us for the Fun, Flash and the Future of The Bonneville Salt Flats.

The book “BONNEVILLE A CENTURY OF SPEED” will be premiering at the Grand National Roadster Show in the “CENTURY OF SPEED” building. I got to hold this book in my hands yesterday and go through it. The pages are rich and thick with color, history and quality. I was shocked that this book could be purchased for $49.95, as it is easily a $100.00 book. But you can get yours for just $20! Unbelievable!
This Limited 1st edition of just 2,000 books will be produced in hard cover. Approximately 300 pages in full color with a dust jacket will be printed. The books will be numbered 1 through 2000 and have a retail price of $49.95. All 2,000 books will be donated free of charge to the Save the Salt Foundation. The purpose is to promote and raise money for Save the Salt Foundation.

There will be a Show special book price of a $20.00 donation to the Save the Salt Foundation and it will be offered to those who attend the Grand National Roadster Show at Pomona. All of the $20.00 goes towards supporting Save the Salt Foundation. The book can also be ordered online for $49.95 plus shipping after the show.

This will raise $40,000 for the Save The Salt Foundation!

I suspect the books will sell out quickly, so make sure to get there early and get your copy!

You can find more information here: http://www.bonnevillecenturyofspeed.com/

The SCTA 2013 season awards banquet will be Saturday night, January 25th 2014  at the Rose Center Theatre 14140 All American Way, Westminster, CA.   The price is $40.00.

We will see you all there!

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
Re: Century of Speed: Celebrating 100 Years of Bonneville
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 03:41:04 AM »
Will this book be available at Speed Week this year? Just looked at buying online but the postage to the UK is almost as much as the book.

Online TrickyDicky

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 05:20:17 AM »
How many buyers might there be in the UK? Is there scope for combining several books in one order to reduce the postage/book?

Or maybe commission SSS to buy say 5 books at $20 to be picked up later.   :-)  :-)

Offline aircap

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:55:58 PM »
Ordered mine a couple weeks ago.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2014, 12:12:48 AM »
I've mentioned it in the GNRS topic thread, but I'll repeat it:  I did buy a few books at the show, planning on keeping one and giving one to our library back at home, and I'll somehow use the others on landracing.com to raise funds.  Whether I'll do it as a simple "book sale" or by having an auction or giving them as prizes in a contest or quiz -- I do have a few.

The 2,000 that were to be sold at the show had been sold by midday Saturday, and at last I heard there was a quandary about selling from the stock that had been allocated to the author, David Fetherston, to sell so that he could make some income for his work.  But he's planning on selling them, I think it goes, at the $49.95 price.  So if more are sold at twenty bucks -- there goes some of his income.  And there are some to be sold online - Amazon - and taking the inventory from there deceases the money that'll be available from those sales.  And around and around it goes.  I do know that Save the Salt is a big winner because the books sold well this weekend.  And I heard the story being discussed that there'll be a second printing starting real soon -- so maybe the availability thing won't be an issue.

Does that make anything clearer?  Not to me, dang it. . . :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kustombrad

• Project No Bucks '49
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 11:00:43 AM »
The book KICKS ASS!!! Wow! I grabbed one when I left building 9 and had a chance to look at it this morning with coffee.  It's beyond well done! Some serious work and heart went into this amazing publication and ANYONE who's just into racing in general can see how it all started. Again, just amazing!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 11:12:36 AM »
It was a great show, and even better most of us had time to talk, something that rarely happens when you or they are flogging at the salt.
Looked at the book, wow, just too cool.  Bought several for friends.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 09:17:26 PM »
  Stainless, I spent all day standing at my mailbox waiting for the one you bought for me.  Unfortunatly I just realized it is Sunday.
  I will be back out there tomorrow.
                                                         Thanx, One run, out. :mrgreen:
Bob Drury

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 09:24:12 AM »
If some are going to be available at $50 online through Amazon maybe then the postage may be a lot less.  But if there is a second print being done and there will be some available at Speed Week I'll wait until then.  I don't want to miss out as Bonneville books are like hens teeth in the UK, just got the Ack Attack and JCB Diesel books to keep me going through winter.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 01:22:47 PM »
  While waiting patiently (as if) for my copy to arrive from Stainless, I fortunately received one  from my backup friend (yup, I got ONE).
  I spent a couple of hours just lightly perusing through the first half of the book and want to say how much I am enjoying it.
  My hat is off to David and Ron plus everyone else involved as this is a book to be treasured by all who love the Salt, Dry Lakes or just plain Hot Rodding in general.
  Even with the aftershow price increase, I guarantee you will not be disappointed with this book.
  Two other great books on our beloved Salt Flats are:  Bonneville Salt Flats by our own "Landspeed Lady" Louise Ann Noeth, and Bonneville Salt Flats/Speed Limit 1,000 mph by George D. Lepp.
  Again, my thanks to all who made these books possible and especially to David and Ron who unknowingly (I am sure) used a shot of my windshield inspection stickers (now up to fifteen) to open the 2006 chapter....... I can hardly wait for the royalty checks to arrive............ so I can forward them to SAVE THE SALT.
  Let's all try to give more to STS and to this wonderful site.  They are the only way most of us can be heard, and God knows the Salt needs our help.
                                                                                                                       Bob "One Run" Drury
                                                                                                                       Old Stud Racing
                                                                                                                       #294 A/CFALT
Bob Drury

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 03:02:55 PM »
Woody grabbed a copy for me at the show- it arrived yesterday.  It's going to remain on my coffee table for a long time.

And yes - there's a picture of the Midget in there - directly above the BMR coupe on page 284.  About the time I made my first trip to El Mirage, about 20 years ago or so, I had read an article in either Rod and Custom or Hot Rod, and there was an article on that coupe.  I believe it had taken the SCTA points championship that year.

It was one of the cars the convinced me that I needed to get involved in this.  That the Midget is sharing a page with the Furguson coupe is kind of spooky, but it confirms that I made the right decision.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 03:40:35 PM »
  While waiting patiently (as if) for my copy to arrive from Stainless, I fortunately received one  from my backup friend (yup, I got ONE).
  I spent a couple of hours just lightly perusing through the first half of the book and want to say how much I am enjoying it.
  My hat is off to David and Ron plus everyone else involved as this is a book to be treasured by all who love the Salt, Dry Lakes or just plain Hot Rodding in general.
  Even with the aftershow price increase, I guarantee you will not be disappointed with this book.
  Two other great books on our beloved Salt Flats are:  Bonneville Salt Flats by our own "Landspeed Lady" Louise Ann Noeth, and Bonneville Salt Flats/Speed Limit 1,000 mph by George D. Lepp.
  Again, my thanks to all who made these books possible and especially to David and Ron who unknowingly (I am sure) used a shot of my windshield inspection stickers (now up to fifteen) to open the 2006 chapter....... I can hardly wait for the royalty checks to arrive............ so I can forward them to SAVE THE SALT.
  Let's all try to give more to STS and to this wonderful site.  They are the only way most of us can be heard, and God knows the Salt needs our help.
                                                                                                                       Bob "One Run" Drury
                                                                                                                       Old Stud Racing
                                                                                                                       #294 A/CFALT

One Run, glad you got one, I guess I'll give yours to someone else...  :roll:  Maybe a sponsor  :-o
have you completed your task yet?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 05:31:53 PM »
  Stainless, a good Whine takes time..................   :-D
Bob Drury

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2014, 07:15:29 AM »
Does anybody know if this book will be available to buy from a vendor/team on the salt?  We'll be visiting the pits to pick up a few goodies and really want to try and grab a copy of this book.  I not I'll just order it while in the States and have it delivered to the last place on our trip as international postage is about $50.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2014, 08:30:51 AM »
Phil:  When Nancy and I went to the GNRS in Pomona last January, where the book was introduced to the public, we bought a few extra copies to sell/give away as fund raisers for this website.  I've still got a few of them.  I hesitate to try to take advantage of the high rate of international postage and try to scalp you for one of the books -- but you're welcome to make some offers ((PM is fine -- keep out the prying eyes) and see if we can arrive at a suitable compromise between the website supplying Nancy and me with new cars - and sending you to the poorhouse. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com