Author Topic: E/GCC Studebaker Build....  (Read 13081 times)

Offline Wade_Owens

Re: E/GCC Studebaker Build....
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 10:05:54 PM »
We struggled with what front end to use. We talked about buying a glass Stude, pie cutting the side, sectioning it and narrowing the front. We finally decided to start with something a little slicker. This is very similar to what we'll use. I like the sleekness. They are plenty sturdy, guys have been 230mph with them. And, I like how it will help "reduce" the windshield area. What do you guys think?

Of course, we'll only be using the frontclip.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 11:02:44 PM »
.... We'll be switching over to a trailblazer engine pretty quick. We'll put the stick shift set up behind that one...

Would that be the Atlas 4200.  I just bought an Atlas 2.9 for the lakester.  If you are real familiar with these engines I'd like to talk at some point.  I've found some info on the internet and talked to the Self's but the more I can find the better,

Sum

Sum, thanks for jumping in the build. I appreciate it. The 4.2 comes out in the Chevy Trailblazer. I don't know if it is considered an Atlas. They do have oiling issues, which I'm told is easily corrected with a dry sump. The 2006 and later uses the aluminum valve cover and is preferred because it has a much better exhaust port. I did originally Facebook the Self's at first about the engine. They won a race this past year with that combo. I since have talked with someone else who is also well known for making them fast. My guy's engine is 245" and makes 614 hp. This is a pic my son took of Self's car when we were down in Louisiana.

Yep the 4200 is one of the Atlas family motors.  The 5 cylinder and the 4 I bought are the same engine minus cylinders.  As you mentioned it is easy to run oil to the other mains with galleys that are already there.  The head does not flow oil back well so some recommend one stage of the dry sump to help with that.  I think for our longer pulls that needs to be addressed.  I recently bought an adapter from Marc in Canada that adapts the engine to GM transmissions and just got a G-Force 101A to use.  Not  sure what transmission you are planning but none of the trailblazers had a manual although one guy was making flywheels based on a couple that GM initially made.  I have a number of links to 4200 stuff that I've found that I could post or PM to you when we get back home if you are interested.

The engine has great heads that will flow up into the 300's very easily on the intake (the Self's are over 400 now), but like you mentioned need more work on the exhaust side.  The last I talked to Glen Self they had set a national record in the high 7's NA.  They have another motor they built that is making about 1400 HP I believe on only 15 lbs. boost.  Also there is an Opel running on the salt that has a current record with the motor.

I like the weight jacks and one thing you will have going for you is probably a better spring selection than what Hooley has on the forntend he used.  On the frontend shape I'd study the blowfish.  It has worked very well for them and I like how it appears to send more air down the sides of the car. 

We have talked about narrowing the front on Hooley's Stude but now I'm glad we didn't as all of the turbo plumbing and intercoolers has used all of it and Hooley lengthened the front 2 feet to boot and it is all used.  If you think at some point you might want to go blown I wouldn't narrow the car.  The body is still the wide point and dictates the frontal area so I'm not sure narrowing the front helps much, but that doesn't mean that a non-stock front wouldn't be better as I think it could as mentioned above.  Hooley wants to keep the Stude looking like one as much as is possible so he has the stock looking front.

BTW I'm a born and raised in MO guy that transplanted himself to the west  8-).  Good luck with the car,

Sum

[/quote]

Offline SteveM

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2013, 11:51:47 PM »
Great looking progress on that Stude!  Just FYI, I'm right up the road in Festus. I'll offer my help, but it looks like you have it pretty well under control.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 09:14:12 AM »
Interesting build.  I will be watching as you progress.  The Studebaker body that Hooley and I started with was not as nice as yours and it worked out fine.  You have lots of hard work ahead of you but I think you are on the right track.

I am in Missouri too but straight across the state to west about as far as you can go.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 10:45:56 AM »
I believe that Dennis Varni has an Atlas based engine in his record holding E/BGS. 334.260

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
I believe that Dennis Varni has an Atlas based engine in his record holding E/BGS. 334.260

You are right, it is a Falconer engine.  GM made a couple of these engines as I guess a kind of pre-runner to the production Atlas motors and then Falconer bought the powerplant and sells them for different applications.  His engines are...

...beautiful and expensive and share few components with the production engine. 

It looks like the Atlas line is dead now in the U.S. at least since they stopped production for the Trailblazers and now also for the Colorado and Canyon pickups that will come back in 2014 but with new power.  The engine is tall and was limited in the platforms it could be used in and didn't get great gas mileage but does have a lot of HP potential with the DOHC 4 valve heads that can flow over 400 cfm.

More on the Falconer engines here...

http://www.falconerengines.com/falconer_l6.php?l6=main

.... where you can also see Dennis's engine...

Sum

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2013, 05:37:14 PM »
Sum and John, come on over! We'll have a Missouri family LSR get together! Any and all help is appreciated. Sum, could you forward those links to me;

wadeowen2007@yahoo.com

Also, check out Dennis' Facebook page at Reeves Racing. He is one of those guys who can do anything.

Like my Facebook page too please!

Or call me at 573-275-1618 cell

Rex, Frankie, lsr junkie, geo and Steve. Thanks a bunch for watching the build. Although we have been around and built cars all our lives, LSR is a new twist. I don't want to make any unrepairable mistakes and we want the safest car possible. Please chime in on ideas and thoughts.

Wade

Offline GH

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2013, 08:18:25 PM »
Wade, I live in Springfield Missouri. Sumner is correct, I used a dropped straight axle from Speedway Motors using a Vega steering gear. The car always went straight except between the 4 mile and 5 mile in 2009. Yours looks about like mine did when I started on it.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2013, 08:59:58 PM »
Sum and John, come on over! We'll have a Missouri family LSR get together! Any and all help is appreciated. Sum, could you forward those links to me;...

I PM'd the links to you.  Let me know if you didn't get them and if anyone else is interested I'll PM them to them also.

Not sure when I'll be back that way as I live in Utah now but if I'm near I'll try and stop so thanks for the invite and likewise if you are my way,

Sum

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »
.....The car always went straight except between the 4 mile and 5 mile in 2009....

Would a big block with two turbos and possible wheel spin have anything to do with that outcome??

Sum
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 12:37:38 AM by Sumner »

Offline GH

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2013, 10:52:04 PM »
Sumner, that was the only time it got crazy and that was the year that guy named Bryant got killed. One year I drove it left handed and never touched the wheel with my right hand. Wade, be careful with a front end that puts a lot of downforce on the front end. Lon Miller ran a front end with so much down force that they kept blowing front tires. Sumner, you remember that Stude, the yellow one from Oregon?

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2013, 11:41:04 PM »
nice clean build, I like it.

I'm also in west Missouri.
Richard
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2013, 03:23:52 PM »
Sum, got all of the links. I'll be a few days reading those! Thanks for the help.

Gary, I talked with a friend who ran into you at Drag Week, Jarod Cochran. He hadnt heard we were building a car. He asked if I knew you. I said only by what you have accomplished and what I've read on the boards. Funny how things happen like that. And thanks for the tips on the front suspension/steering....

Tomorrow is welding day!

Wade

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2013, 04:30:41 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Reeves Racing

• New folks
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 11:00:52 PM »
Hey everybody. This is Dennis from Reeves Racing. Got signed up and thought I'd say hi. Thanks for the kind words on our project. I'm sure we will be asking plenty of questions. Looks like there is a wealth of knowledge on this board.