Author Topic: Vintage motorcycles or cars  (Read 9421 times)

Offline DaveB

Vintage motorcycles or cars
« on: November 22, 2013, 11:51:56 AM »
I was wondering if the SCTA or any other lsr bodies have ever considered putting in additional classes for old iron. In other forms of racing there may be various year cut offs that are called things like: antique, vintage, historic, post vintage etc.

It seems like to me a classes between 1955 and 2013 vehicle age would put a lot of fast stuff back in use, with appropriate safety updates of coarse. These classes may also keep technology from continuing to escalate racing costs.

I understand this would be complicated with past records and future new classes but I think it would progress the sport.
Everything I know about opera, I learned from Bugs Bunny.

Offline Stan Back

Re: Vintage motorcycles or cars
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2013, 12:16:11 PM »
Dave --

Have you read the SCTA Rule Book?  There are many classes for Vintage vehicles in the Vintage Category.   There are also many classes for older engine technology in the Classic Category. 

Plus there is a new class in Gas Roadster that was especially for mid-century V-8 engine technology.  Unfortunately, it has not attracted the vehicles it was intended for.  It's expensive for older vehicles to be rejuvenated with newer safety upgrades now required.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline DaveB

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 12:35:09 PM »
I am mostly thinking of bikes but I did not want to completely limit the conversation to bikes only. Bikes do not have a "classic" category like cars.

In bikes paragraph 7.J.4. makes a cut at "prior to 1956".
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 12:41:51 PM by DaveB »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 12:37:46 PM »
There are already more bike classes than for cars.  I like the idea proposed years ago by JD -- just use your entry number as your class.  You're the winner.  Every time you go faster, you set a new record.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 01:07:02 PM »
Previous post aside - smart azz.

Bike classes are called Vintage in your rule book, I am sure that many bike people will way in on this.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Freud

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 01:43:13 PM »
or  w e i g h !!

FREUD
Since '63

Offline DaveB

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2013, 01:43:13 PM »
Maybe my first post was to general.

Bike classes in the SCTA do not make any age restrictions other than pre-1956 (vintage) and after that it goes all the way up to present (2013). Specifically, I was wondering if there was any talk at SCTA or any other lsr organization to put another bike age break in the rules. Maybe around 1982 (like car classic) or whatever.

I do like the 2 stroke vs 4 stroke break in ECTA.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:53:12 PM by DaveB »

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2013, 03:41:54 PM »
Come on Stan... a classic bike class would only open up another 700 bike classes... and daveb would gladly help go through the current records to help determine which ones should be moved to classic and which previous records should be reinstated in the current classes.  Should only take a man year or so.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2013, 03:56:22 PM »
. . . and then be criticized for his selections for a decade or two.

Offline **RP**

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, 06:37:51 PM »
I was wondering if the SCTA or any other lsr bodies have ever considered putting in additional classes for old iron. In other forms of racing there may be various year cut offs that are called things like: antique, vintage, historic, post vintage etc.

It seems like to me a classes between 1955 and 2013 vehicle age would put a lot of fast stuff back in use, with appropriate safety updates of coarse. These classes may also keep technology from continuing to escalate racing costs.

I understand this would be complicated with past records and future new classes but I think it would progress the sport.

BUB / AMA brought out a Classic engine class for the bikes a couple years ago.. I think it is for bikes 35 years old or older. 
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com

Offline DaveB

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 11:32:54 PM »
Thanks RP!!

Offline JimL

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 12:40:46 PM »
You can sure spend a lot of money in these "special classes"....to not really go very fast.  I could have bought a nice used 'Busa for what I spent in a few pairs of pushrod cylinder heads.....

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

The truth is, Dan and I both set faster records (for less money) in our modified roadster...than these pushrod bikes will ever go. :-o

Offline DaveB

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 10:32:16 AM »
JimL. Thanks for the insight based on experience!

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 01:31:29 PM »
When JimL talks, I listen and believe.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline salt27

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 09:57:24 PM »
When JimL talks, I listen and believe.

FREUD

A wealth of information.