Author Topic: Rule changes for 2014  (Read 40545 times)

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
Re: Rule changes for 2014
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2013, 09:33:08 PM »
2.G   WHEELS:
deleted sentence
NONFERROUS WHEELS: All non-tapered lug nuts that come in direct contact with the wheel shall have a ¼ inch thick steel retaining plate or large OD heavy gauge individual washers under all lug nuts. (This does not apply to spindle mounted nonferrous wheels.) Magnesium wheels are not recommended and, if used, shall have an initial Zyglo certificate and stamp available. Zyglo inspections made with tires mounted are accepted. Wheels are to be re-inspected if any adverse condition arises. It is recommended that tire pressure used on two-piece wheels  NOT exceed 60 PSI or manufacturer’s specifications.
WHEEL COVERS: The prohibition against “wheel covering” in some class rules does not apply to “full wheel” discs, which are legal in all categories if securely fastened to the wheels with six (6) or more machine grade screws or three (3) Duzs-type fasteners.  Inner wheel discs shall be securely mounted to the wheel or axle.  All hubcaps shall be removed. Fender skirts are not allowed except in Streamliner class.
I'm looking at that line and waiting for someone to turn up in motorcycle tech  and say
"but in 2.G it states these wheel discs are legal in all classes."
It should possably read, "all car classes"
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2013, 09:54:00 PM »
Graham, That is in the car section, not the bike section... if they show up, tell to read the wheel rules in the Motorcycle section of the book
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2013, 10:50:10 PM »
Graham, That is in the car section, not the bike section... if they show up, tell to read the wheel rules in the Motorcycle section of the book

I know that. And you know that. But it still says all classes
And anyway. The motorcycle section refers you to the car section for streamliners.
And I know what I'll be saying to them. And I'm pretty sure they'll understand, even with my accent
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2013, 11:24:25 PM »
That part is OK, Streamliners can run moons if they want
Stainless

Offline 4Nines

• New folks
« Reply #64 on: December 25, 2013, 12:56:49 PM »
I can't for the life of me seem to find a rule book anywhere. The link on the SCTA webpage to purchase them seems to be broken? I all can find is t-shirts and stickers? Is there a PDF version of one online that I can find somewhere or a link to a thread that breaks everything down?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
« Reply #65 on: December 25, 2013, 01:03:01 PM »
You can probably still buy a 2013 from the USFRA, there is a link to them on the front page.  The 14 books are headed to the printer about now so if the SCTA is sold out, they won't have a working link. 
The rules are not published online. 
Stainless

Offline 4Nines

• New folks
« Reply #66 on: December 25, 2013, 06:26:04 PM »
I guess they are sold out because I can't find one to order anywhere. I will hold tight and hope the 2014's come out soon.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #67 on: December 25, 2013, 07:53:17 PM »
I guess they are sold out because I can't find one to order anywhere. I will hold tight and hope the 2014's come out soon.

It is best to call the office when they are back open,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #68 on: December 25, 2013, 08:19:40 PM »
Here's JoAnn Carlson's email address.  office@scta-bni.org
She's the SCTA secretary/office manager/do most everything person and will probably be able to tell you the true scoop about the '13 rulebooks' availability -- and also that of the '14.  We already have been told here that the '14 book is at the print shop, but maybe JoAnn'll have a scheduled arrival date.  It is the Christmas holiday, even in California, so give her a chance to recover relax before you expect a reply.

Happy New Year, too.

fixed it for ya Slim
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:55:23 PM by Stainless1 »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 4Nines

• New folks
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2013, 01:55:38 AM »
Here's JoAnn Carlson's email address.  office@scta-bni.org
She's the SCTA secretary/office manager/do most everything person and will probably be able to tell you the true scoop about the '13 rulebooks' availability -- and also that of the '14.  We already have been told here that the '14 book is at the print shop, but maybe JoAnn'll have a scheduled arrival date.  It is the Christmas holiday, even in California, so give her a chance to recover relax before you expect a reply.

Happy New Year, too.

fixed it for ya Slim

Thanks for all the info! I will give her a shout after the holiday and track down some rule books :)

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2013, 04:27:23 PM »
I see two items that bring up question marks in my mind

"Under penalty of disqualification, expulsion or permanent ban, no modifications (additions, deletions, or changes) are permitted to either vehicle equipment or driver/rider gear after passing Technical Inspection unless coordinated with the Event Director and Chief Technical Inspector. This includes any changes in vehicle condition due to breakdowns or failures, flat or damaged tires, spins, fires or any other reason. It is the entrant or driver/rider's responsibility to resubmit the vehicle to tech inspection for approval of any changes."

Does this mean if I change my spark plugs, or plug wires, or ignition box... I need to run it through tech every time??

Also, I am in the middle of changing my car to incorporate what used to be a legal 2 inch stretch in the cowl portion. But reading the new definition, any typical later model car that has the windshield run under the back edge of the hood (like a Camaro/Firebird/Mustang...) is no longer allowed to have that stretch.

"The cowl area is defined as the portion of the body bounded by the front fenders, the base of the windshield and the rear edge of the hood as measured at the centerline of the vehicle."

Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline JR529

« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2013, 06:09:48 PM »
I see two items that bring up question marks in my mind

"Under penalty of disqualification, expulsion or permanent ban, no modifications (additions, deletions, or changes) are permitted to either vehicle equipment or driver/rider gear after passing Technical Inspection unless coordinated with the Event Director and Chief Technical Inspector. This includes any changes in vehicle condition due to breakdowns or failures, flat or damaged tires, spins, fires or any other reason. It is the entrant or driver/rider's responsibility to resubmit the vehicle to tech inspection for approval of any changes."

Does this mean if I change my spark plugs, or plug wires, or ignition box... I need to run it through tech every time??

No, but it does mean that if you add ballast, change your seat belts, change your helmet, (actually, ANY of the required safety gear) or anything else that was checked/verified during tech inspection you have to present your changes to tech inspection before you run.

This rule was put in place to ensure that when the vehicle is run, it is in the same condition/configuration that it was when it was inspected.

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2013, 08:36:47 AM »
JR,

The wording as written is extremely broad. 'Any changes to vehicle equipment' can be interpreted as far as spark plugs or oil filters. Better wording for your interpretation might be 'any changes to safety related equipment or items scrutinized within the SCTA inspector's checklist' or something similar.

Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2013, 10:31:24 AM »
You have to understand the motivation behind the rule wording.

'any changes to safety related equipment or items scrutinized within the SCTA inspector's checklist' or something similar.

This wording would not have prevented the incident which prompted this particular rule.

Perfect, no, but it gives the inspectors someplace to start. You just cannot fix stupid.

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline JR529

« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2013, 02:01:36 PM »
JR,

The wording as written is extremely broad. 'Any changes to vehicle equipment' can be interpreted as far as spark plugs or oil filters. Better wording for your interpretation might be 'any changes to safety related equipment or items scrutinized within the SCTA inspector's checklist' or something similar.

I agree, it is very broadly written but I believe the reason behind this rule is to give the Board/Race Director somewhere to go when an entrant changes their car into a wildly unsafe condition after it has been inspected. I would rather it have been written like you suggested, referring to the tech checklist or something like that but it is what it is.

There have been issues in recent years where cars were inspected after on-track incidents and found to be missing safety equipment that was present on the vehicle during tech inspection, but removed as soon as the car got back to the pits, or build quality issues with work done at the event after the car has been through tech.

If you feel the need to present your car to tech inspection after changing the oil filter then please go ahead but don't get mad if the Tech Inspector plays along and asks you remove and cut open the new oil filter to make sure it is not different than the originally approved one, (which if here were really evil, he would ask you to go back and retrieve it from the trash so he could do a proper comparison). Rinse & repeat  :-D

On the other hand, if you add 500lbs of lead to the nose of your car, clearing the new attachment method with tech would be a good idea. Duct tape alone may not be good enough...