Author Topic: Rule changes for 2014  (Read 40565 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: Rule changes for 2014
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2013, 07:50:22 AM »
So, at what exact point does the streamlining stop?

LOL  Buddy on a lakester it has to stop at the inner plane of the narrowest tire!   :-D

It would appear that you should have submitted your "Buddy's hood scoop rule" to read:

:evil:  We in the SCTA love the look of traditional blowers and we want to see them, rather than see you go fast with them by hiding them from us!   :roll: YMMV

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline maj

Re:
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2013, 03:45:59 PM »
Yes you can cover the Tire but the rim must be visible... The rules say wheel and rim... The rim is part of the wheel where the Tire mounts... So as long as the wheel/rim is visible the Tire can be covered is how I read it....

If you go to a bike shop or hotrod Shop alike and buy a new wheel or rim chances are you have to buy a tire to mount on it.... Changing a rim is much different than a tire according to my service manuals

My interpretation has always been that a Tire/Tyre + a Rim makes up a Wheel.

That is why I posted it, it is unclear and open to interpretation.

If a Wheel and a Rim are the same thing, under the Rules, and it is referred to as a Wheel everywhere else in the Rules, then simply call it that. Maybe the wording could be written as "7.B.10 Wheel/Rim"?

I don't care one way or another what the Tail Section Rules are, I just like to see the Rules written in a consistent, clear and simple way, it helps all of us, Officials and Competitors alike.

Pete  :cheers:

i think its quite specific ,
wheel (tire and rim) must be visible from the side, fender is allowed to be 3" beyond the tire and none of it lower than the rim

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2013, 04:45:56 PM »
I can now see why the change in the wording to the Tail Section.  :roll:

It looks like it's there to make sure the "Fender" does not cover anything other than the Tire/Tyre.

If confused you gotta ask the question, that's why I ask a lot of questions  :-D

Pete  :cheers:

The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2013, 06:04:48 PM »
Overarching category of VINTAGE ENGINES insists on American-made production engine blocks.

Yet as a subcategory, V4 and V4F have specifically stricken the "American made" clause.

So can I finally put together that MG J3 supercharged overhead cam 4, stuff it in a chopped Bantam Roadster and go vintage racing on the salt?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2013, 08:18:58 PM »
Overarching category of VINTAGE ENGINES insists on American-made production engine blocks.

Yet as a subcategory, V4 and V4F have specifically stricken the "American made" clause.

So can I finally put together that MG J3 supercharged overhead cam 4, stuff it in a chopped Bantam Roadster and go vintage racing on the salt?

Chris,

No on the MG J3, I think there is a mistake somewhere along the line and what you have stated is not true. I know, I know, that is what is stated, but I think there has been a mistake in posting that.

I will let someone else chime in and explain what happened, and why?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

« Reply #50 on: November 26, 2013, 09:04:21 PM »
Because the rewritten 2.A.1 Vintage Engines includes the words "American-made production engine blocks" it applies to all subsections of vintage engines. The redundant words in each subsection were removed for clarity, or so thought someone.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
So benign xenophobia is still the overarching theme.  :-D

Seeing as the word "economy" was also stricken (I laughed at that - I always have), it was my hope that the newfound sense of reality had been augmented by a sense of esprit de corps.

I'll keep my eurotrash to the back of the paddock . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline JR529

« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2013, 12:51:23 PM »
Because the rewritten 2.A.1 Vintage Engines includes the words "American-made production engine blocks" it applies to all subsections of vintage engines. The redundant words in each subsection were removed for clarity, or so thought someone.

DW

Ahhhh, So this is a case of the rarely seen  "Same Rule - Less Words" ?
I have heard of this, but never actually seen one in the wild.

Offline dw230

« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2013, 01:22:53 PM »
"less words" - a rare breed indeed. Many an explorer has gone missing in search of this animal.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2013, 02:20:28 PM »
lol   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2013, 11:39:20 AM »
So now I have a question regarding wheel skirts:

2.G WHEELS: deleted sentence NONFERROUS WHEELS: All non-tapered lug nuts that come in direct contact with the wheel shall have a ¼ inch thick steel retaining plate or large OD heavy gauge individual washers under all lug nuts. (This does not apply to spindle mounted nonferrous wheels.) Magnesium wheels are not recommended and, if used, shall have an initial Zyglo certificate and stamp available. Zyglo inspections made with tires mounted are accepted. Wheels are to be re-inspected if any adverse condition arises. It is recommended that tire pressure used on two-piece wheels  NOT exceed 60 PSI or manufacturer’s specifications. WHEEL COVERS: The prohibition against “wheel covering” in some class rules does not apply to “full wheel” discs, which are legal in all categories if securely fastened to the wheels with six (6) or more machine grade screws or three (3) Duzs-type fasteners.  Inner wheel discs shall be securely mounted to the wheel or axle.  All hubcaps shall be removed. Fender skirts are not allowed except in Streamliner class.

So on the rule change page, the phrase "fender skirts are not allowed except in streamliner class". This rule has been crossed out (as above), so does that mean in any class that skirts are accepted?

TIA
Clay
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 11:51:37 AM by Sumner »
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2013, 02:32:08 PM »
Hope so.  Just finishing up my full skirts for our Street Roadster.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline dw230

« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2013, 05:42:14 PM »
No, just the opposite. If "fender skirts are not allowed..." They are not allowed.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #58 on: December 09, 2013, 06:38:48 PM »
Dam!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"