Author Topic: Rule changes for 2014  (Read 40489 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: Rule changes for 2014
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2013, 03:25:13 AM »
Well put Michael. Maybe the wording should have read either or.

Merged topics
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:58:20 AM by Stainless1 »

Offline dw230

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2013, 10:39:20 AM »
Its 'or', accepted helmets will meet one spec or the other. Looks like our highly paid proof reader missed one.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2013, 10:54:32 AM »
Its hard to get good help these days!! :evil:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline joea

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2013, 12:59:24 PM »
atrocity...with what their getting paid ... f'in inexcusable..
Dodge sure better have his "burger card" pulled ...and he better not be allowed to work the first two days of SW...teach him a lesson..
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 01:01:18 PM by joea »

Offline hawkwind

« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2013, 02:09:10 PM »
Kudos to all who allowed this decision re helmets to be made.... :-D....a wise decision
slower than most

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
Its 'or', accepted helmets will meet one spec or the other. Looks like our highly paid proof reader missed one.

DW

I figured the hundred or so proof readers out here is why you posted before the final goes to the printer...  :-D
Yes we are paying attention.... so you can change it back to or...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2013, 03:27:55 PM »
That way there'd be three ors in the one sentence, giving you lots more alternatives.

(By the way, proofreader's one word.)
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2013, 03:45:49 PM »
Sumner, turbos / centrifugals will almost always be a better choice for blown gas and I don't think the blown fuel guys care.....

Yea, but the turbo's are not legal in vintage, and the centrifugal is not nearly as traditional as a roots blower!

Well,  I was going to stay out of the hood scoop discussion, but  can’t!

With all respect to the author of the new rule, it was written in response to a proposal I made, because the author  feels that we should not be able to gain an aero advantage off of a hood scoop.

Sooo, let me see if I get this straight!

If I run an unblown car, I can have an 11” tall hood scoop.
If I run a turbo, or centrifugal blower, I can have an 11” hood scoop.
…BUT, if I run a roots blower, and my injector hat is 1” above the hood, I can only have a 3” hood scoop? REALLY?

Dan, you stated “why does a front engine, top mount blower with a bug catcher need a scoop? You are bringing your own air with you, ” and that’s true, but I also have more drag because of it. Also, I get ’cleaner’ air by grabbing the air out in front of the car. So, because I run a more ‘traditional’ style blower, I’m to be penalized by being allowed less streamlining than a NA or turbo’d car?

The whole argument that “The rule is aimed at those coupes and sedans that push the scoop rules beyond intent and make an aero device, which serves no purpose to the intake system, that streamlines the vehicle over and above the hood, to the windshield and over the roof of the car. “, seems contradictory to what we are doing. We allow some cars the aero advantage, and not others, yet are we not striving to find better ways, to go fast safer?

IMHO, this rule needs to be looked at again!

So, are hood scoops legal in altered class? :evil:

The cowl rule also has me a little concerned also. Last year, we were told that the cowl point that the streamlining was allowed to was the base of the windshield. The new rule leaves me wondering:
4.MM COWL:
added new definition

The cowl area is defined as the portion of the body bounded by the front fenders, the base of the windshield and the
rear edge of the hood as measured at the centerline of the vehicle.

The hood scoop rule says we can go to the back of the blower, which on my car, is behind the back edge of the hood.  Cowl rule indicated the cowl is between the windshield and rear edge of the hood.

So, at what exact point does the streamlining stop?

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »

DW

Flog that guy! :-D

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2013, 07:11:23 PM »

DW

Flog that guy! :-D

Or get him a better quality wine.

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »
Just curious

At what point in time did the personal injury attorney review the rules? Or a serious car builder?

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2013, 10:37:29 PM »

7.G.10
OPEN CLASS - SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION - A

The sides of the fender may fair into the fork tubes or tire, but shall not be over 2 inches wider overall than these parts.
The rear fender shall not extend beyond the back of the rear tire.

If a seat, tail section or fender is used, it must not extend more than 3 inches past the rear of the rear tire or cover any of the wheel when viewed from the side.

Then it says,

No part of the tail section shall be lower than the top of the rear rim, or over 36 inches from the ground, with the rider seated on the bike.

Does this mean the Tire/Tyre can be covered when the Rider is seated on the Bike. Then if  the Bike is sitting without a Rider the whole of the Rear wheel must be visible?

Pete  :cheers:

The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline Hellcat Customs

Re:
« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2013, 01:15:17 AM »
Yes you can cover the Tire but the rim must be visible... The rules say wheel and rim... The rim is part of the wheel where the Tire mounts... So as long as the wheel/rim is visible the Tire can be covered is how I read it....

If you go to a bike shop or hotrod Shop alike and buy a new wheel or rim chances are you have to buy a tire to mount on it.... Changing a rim is much different than a tire according to my service manuals

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
Re:
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2013, 02:31:35 AM »
Yes you can cover the Tire but the rim must be visible... The rules say wheel and rim... The rim is part of the wheel where the Tire mounts... So as long as the wheel/rim is visible the Tire can be covered is how I read it....

If you go to a bike shop or hotrod Shop alike and buy a new wheel or rim chances are you have to buy a tire to mount on it.... Changing a rim is much different than a tire according to my service manuals

My interpretation has always been that a Tire/Tyre + a Rim makes up a Wheel.

That is why I posted it, it is unclear and open to interpretation.

If a Wheel and a Rim are the same thing, under the Rules, and it is referred to as a Wheel everywhere else in the Rules, then simply call it that. Maybe the wording could be written as "7.B.10 Wheel/Rim"?

I don't care one way or another what the Tail Section Rules are, I just like to see the Rules written in a consistent, clear and simple way, it helps all of us, Officials and Competitors alike.

Pete  :cheers:
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2013, 06:59:28 AM »
So, at what exact point does the streamlining stop?

LOL  Buddy on a lakester it has to stop at the inner plane of the narrowest tire!   :-D

It would appear that you should have submitted your "Buddy's hood scoop rule" to read:

:evil:  We in the SCTA love the look of traditional blowers and we want to see them, rather than see you go fast with them by hiding them from us!   :roll: YMMV
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!