Author Topic: Stored energy  (Read 2559 times)

Offline JimL

Stored energy
« on: November 17, 2013, 11:27:35 AM »
Now that I showed you how to built an electric hand truck, I should explain the secret to this stuff.

My other projects, using these small winches, have included:
- a 650 lb capacity lift-gate on my old Toyota flatbed
-  an enclosed aluminum mountain bike box that raises up the back of my motorhome on rails
- homemade overhead winches in the shop that run on 1 5/8" wide commercial gate rollers
- an electric tramway for access to my wifes lower garden, which can handle loaded wheelbarrows or big trash cans, and people
- an electric kayak gantry for loading our Hobies
- an electric hoist that loads and unloads my salt flats bike from my trailer

All of these gadgets share a common feature.  That is, the winch or pulley mounting MUST be made on a piece of tube or angle that will bend easier than other parts of the gadget.  

It needs to be able to distort enough to obviously, and slowly, "give up" long before a cable, pin, or pulley would let go.  It needs to be mounted on something that can bend a LOT before failing, so that you will realize something is wrong before too much energy is stored.

Thin wall tubing or small angle iron is great for spanning braces, when you need to be certain you dont lift more than you should.  When the day comes, that you latch onto something too hard or too heavy...you will have some minor repair work to do.  Dont reinforce it too much, when that happens.

Experiment with your mount tubes or bars, and dont let your device store too much energy.  Stored energy is what gets us hurt, whether in a winch, a hammer, or a pry bar.

JimL
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:49:35 AM by JimL »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Stored energy
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 01:33:58 PM »
JimL;

"Stored energy is what gets us hurt, whether in a winch, a hammer, or a pry bar."

...or compressed air.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: Stored energy
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 06:52:25 PM »
I made this cart winch a couple years back...

The cart just gets the winch/battery to the job and the winch stays on the cart but you have to connect from the winch back, arrow on picture above, to something solid with a chain or cable.  

Since, I changed the winch around to a winch that can be used on a boat to lift an anchor where the nose is now not supported by an outer bearing and you can wrap a line 3 times around the spool that no longer has a cable on it.  So need to buy another winch for the cart,

Sum

Sum