Author Topic: easy build project to save your back  (Read 2969 times)

Offline JimL

easy build project to save your back
« on: November 16, 2013, 10:44:55 PM »
First, a video of what it does.

http://home.earthlink.net/~leinfam/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderfiles/img_0248.mov

This thing will pick up 200-300 pounds easily, and can lift up to 42" above the floor.  Nice for putting stuff on shelves, workbenches, pickup tailgates, etc.  I recently poured 156 bags of Sakrete, using this to lift the bags (two at a time) to the mouth of my cement mixer.

I will post pics and instructions following this opener.

JimL

Offline JimL

Re: easy build project to save your back
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 11:05:40 PM »
The first pic shows the battery tray and modified lower handtruck frame.  The cross bar must be cut free and moved up after shortening the center tube.  The tray welds to the remaining lower center tube and the axle brace straps.  Also, note the length of the overlay plate; you'll see this in another view.  The winch plate has mounting holes angled to provide proper cable run.

Second pic shows the height of my 1" angle iron rails.  There is a relief bent into the second cross bar for proper cable run.

Third pic shows the correct angle for the lift pulley.  Also note the angle of the front rollers, running into the corner of the angle iron to provide lateral guide.  These are the wheels out of cheap Harbor Freight non-swiveling casters.  I use hardened 6mm bolts with a flat washer and nylock nut for the wheel mounts.

more to come.....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 01:59:59 AM by JimL »

Offline JimL

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 11:16:51 PM »
First pic shows the front view of the lift plate.  The lengthened lower plate (overlay) is visible, which has three breaks to stiffen it.  This keeps the handcart from tipping forward with heavy loads.  The cutouts in the back plate allow removal of the lower, forward wheels.

Second pic:  Here is a closer look at that wheel arrangement, on the forward side of the angle iron rails.

Third pic:  a view of the rear roller arrangement.  Note that the lower rear roller does not need to be straight into the plate (upper wheel takes all the load).  Lower wheel doesnt do anything unless you are manually pulling up the front edge of the lift plate.  I just welded it onto the angle iron the quick and easy way.  There is a piece of 3/4" tube serving as a "break preventer" in the event of upper wheel failure under load.  I have been working this thing hard, and nothing has failed.

more.....
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:02:12 AM by JimL »

Offline JimL

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 11:33:34 PM »
First pic shows Cable routing, through the hand truck parts.

Second pic shows the proper angle of the winch mounting.

Third pic shows the electrics mounted.  The Harbor Freight Badlands 2000 winch comes with everything except the on-off switch I use to cut power to the upper control switch.  If there are kids around, use a key switch to keep this thing turned off.  The winch even comes with the correct clamps to mount that upper control switch.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do this one.

JimL

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 12:49:54 AM »
That is a good invention, Jim.  It sure will save a lot of trouble.

Offline JimL

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 01:58:04 AM »
Thanks, Bo, with a rope from the lift plate, down to a pully on the cart frame, then routed up between the tubes and tied of to an arm or whatever....

It picks itself off the ground and loads itself in your truck.  I dont have enough webspace to put up the video, but its a real easy trick.

Total cost is under $150 and works all day on a battery charge.  I was lifting concrete on slopes, tilted, and it did just fine.  Just dont roll a load around in the raised position....that would be bad.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:05:01 AM by JimL »