Author Topic: Debris on the racing surface  (Read 1157 times)

Offline tallguy

Debris on the racing surface
« on: February 08, 2023, 02:45:57 AM »
Since safety is such an important thing (especially since vehicles travel so fast) in land speed racing . . .

I recently read about Rob Freyvogel's crash of about 3 years ago.  It appears that there was possibly some debris on the
ground, leading to a blown tire, causing his high-speed crash.

Because it's so time-consuming, I don't think that an extremely thorough, close-up, on-the-ground inspection of the racing surface should be made immediately before every run by a vehicle.  But I can imagine that if there were a series of video cameras installed, fairly close to the racing lane, and they panned back-and-forth, looking for debris, then perhaps what those cameras "saw" could be observed by someone posted to watch video screens showing this, and alert the safety crew(s) so they would halt the racing until the debris has been removed.  Perhaps drones could play a role here.

Alternatively, people with strong binoculars could be stationed alongside the racing lane (say, every few hundred feet, at
a distance of maybe 200-300 feet from the track).  These people could continually scan the surface, looking for debris such
as a piece of tire tread. 

This is mentioned for consideration -- in order to possibly improve safety.  Yes, I know that it could make racing a bit less convenient.

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
Re: Debris on the racing surface
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 12:04:03 PM »
This is a problem akin to mine sweeping. Detecting small objects over a wide area is a time consuming task that could benefit from technology. Perhaps a bumper-mounted full-width metal detector system could be developed but that would take time and $.

We (Kaman Aerospace) developed a helicopter- mounted laser imaging system that was capable of looking below the sea surface to detect mines for the US Navy. It was a problem similar to finding debris in the salt at Bonneville.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline TD

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 03:22:05 PM »
At Black Rock in September 1997 my buddy and I volunteered / were recruited to 'de-FOD' that part of the playa on which Breedlove was preparing to run.

After posing for a photo with Breedlove, John Ackroyd, and the SoA car a group of FOD-ers we were driven out a couple of miles and instructed to walk in a line picking up anything of any substance on the ground.  A select few were given 5 gallon plastic buckets into which found debris was to be collected and carried off.

More than once a FODer, including Yours Truly, found a 50-cal. shell casing embedded in the surface (I still have one as a souvenir in my wood shop).  And more than once a FODer, not including Yours Truly, found an intact and presumably live 50-cal. shell casing, which was then casually tossed into one of the buckets...   :?  The playa had been used by the USAAF during WW II as a gunnery range (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovelock_Aerial_Gunnery_Range).

I think the concerns were around jet engine damage and not wheel damage, as both SoA and Thrust SSC ran on solid wheels.  I further recall that Andy Green did not engage the Thrust SSC afterburners until reaching 100 or 200 MPH in order to minimize the chances of ingesting a foreign object.   Later in the season the SoA suffered severe engine damage said to have been caused by FOD, ending their attempt, while Thrust SSC went on to 763 MPH.

I followed the Carbinite team's efforts, as reported on the web, pretty closely.  It seemed like the car had the potential to go really fast.  I was and am saddened by what happened to Rob F. and wondered what might have caused the crash.

Tim

Offline gnomenator

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 04:17:15 PM »
Just a random thought - would it be feasible to fly a higher-end drone or two after an incident? I realize it is not a fix-all and I am not that familiar with their capabilities, (just ask the grandkids  lol8 ) but even if they spotted larger pieces, it might save some time, no?  Taking inflation into account, that's my 1 1/4 cents. Go fast-stay safe- pray to the Gods of Speed for Great salt ! :cheers:

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 05:17:21 PM »
Just some more information / thoughts. 
The SCTA asks all competitors to check their vehicle?s over after a pass & to report anything that may have fallen off during the run. I general this works as the meet will be stopped to look for said lost item. The people in the tower and certain patrol positions do watch for anything falling off of a vehicle, but keep in mind the size of the area we are talking about. One of the single biggest problems is Dzus fasteners & believe it or not sheet metal screws! A Dzus button can easily cut down a tire at speed (not to mention the damage a sheet metal screw will cause) but even if you know roughly where it fell off it is like looking for a needle in a haystack. So, when you see trucks out driving slowly down the course just know, they are doing their best to make sure we have a clear course to run on.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Online Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 07:09:21 PM »
I agree with Dynoroom's post.

There's a whole lot of real estate out there.  And a piece of debris can be over on the non-dragged territories.  So how far out do you inspect after every run?  Time is prescious in every meet -- not to say safety is not important.  Volunteers do most of the work for the SCTA.  Having an observer every 300 or so feet is impossible.  Partner that with inspecting every vehicle when it's at the front is the same.  We all know we are taking a small risk on every run.  I think the association, after years of experience, is doing the best they (and we) can expect and still run a meet. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 07:51:03 PM »
Once upon a SpeedWeek Ed Shearer, long-time patrol at the end of the long course, handed me a Dzus mount that he'd seen and recovered that day.  There was no question it was from my bike (paint color) - but the bike hadn't made a run since the previous year.  I would have felt really crappy if that part had hurt someone's tire.  It's surprising what a course sweep DOESN'T miss.  Thanks for your good eyes, folks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 10:55:28 PM »
Yep, a couple years ago Jon Amo told the chase patrol that he saw a Dzus fastener pop out just past the 3... the guy called it in, then went to his truck, pulled out a handful and asked if any were the correct length and type that we needed...  :?
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Online Stan Back

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 01:19:41 PM »
Who was it that said he saw a Diet Pepsi can near the 4?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline jl222

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 05:09:33 PM »
Who was it that said he saw a Diet Pepsi can near the 4?

That was a Coke can rolling out from under the landing craft of the Ist moon landing craft.

Instandly revised.

JL222

Online Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 05:04:30 PM »
I finally got it!
(With a little help from that Steel-headed guy.)

Don Vesco
On a near 400+/- run in perhaps the late 90s.

Offline TD

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2023, 05:05:01 PM »
Currently reading Ludvigsen's Man of Speed about Reid Railton and in particular the chapters about John Cobb and the Railton / Mobil special.  There's a short passage about walking the course and picking up debris to protect the tires.

Tim

Offline aircap

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2023, 11:55:35 PM »
Personally, with all the public access when there is no racing, I'm surprised there isn't more crap out on the salt. Not to mention, all the commercial photo shoots and the occasional movie scenes.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince