Author Topic: The Reputation System by Stars  (Read 5499 times)

landracing

The Reputation System by Stars
« on: June 29, 2006, 03:33:43 AM »
GUIDE FOR REPUTATION SYSTEM MOD
updated Apr 19, 2006

1. INTRODUCTION
2. SIMPLE EXPLANATION OF THE SYSTEM
3. ADVANCED EXPLANATION
4. SIMPLE AND ADVANCED VERSIONS
5. TEXT AND GRAPHIC VERSIONS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. INTRODUCTION

First of all what is this? This is a mod for phpbb forum which gives the ability to your users to give reputations (or "thank you"s) to each others. This mod works simple. If you want to thank someone for a post you can do this in two clicks. If you want to tell someone that he is a bad user with a bad behaviour you can do this in two clicks as well. And new users on your forum will know who is a good reputated user, whose words are weighing something, and who is a bad user, whose words and deeds are not recommended to you by the others.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. SIMPLE EXPLANATION OF THE SYSTEM

Jane has a reputation of 10. Mike ? 50. If Jane gives Mike 5 points, Mike will get 5 points. If Mike gives Jane 5 points, Jane will get 5.2 (Mike is more reputated so his givings have more power). But the bottom line of the whole is that each time you give, each time you lose. You lose the same amount as you give (without adding your power). So this is the hard earning reputation system. You can't give reputation if you have -10 points (of course) or less than 1.
If Jane wants to give Mike negative reputation (for example -5), -5 points will be subtracted from Mike's reputation. But if Mike wants to give Jane negative reputation (for example -5), -5.2 points will be subtracted from Mike's reputation (again, more power from more reputated user). And again when you give, you lose.

3. ADVANCED EXPLANATION
For those who wants to know exactly how this system works i'll explain it more deeply. We have 5 stars: :: :    and one for the negative reputation: : (it doesn't matter how much you have negative reputation, as soon as you move subzero you'll get this red star). Each star assigned in admincp to the exact amount of reputation points. Default values are:
: 75  :  50  :  25   : 10   : 1
And we have multiplication constants assigned to each medal:
 1.4    1.3    1.2    1.1    1

So, for example, if you have the 3rd medal (points > 50) your constant will be 1.2. Let's take again Mike and Jane but with different initial points.

Mike has 150 points, Jane ? 25. Mike gives Jane +5 points. He loses 5 points and receives bonus points for givings (default value is 0.05 for each given point): 0.05 * 5. And Mike's points after the giving will be 145.25 (the system rounds up all the fractions to 1 figure after the decimal point but in the database all is saved in float numbers). So, we'll see Mike's points as 145.3. Jane will get 5 points multiplicated by the Mike's constant 1.3. So, she will have after all 31.5.
Now, let's see if Jane gives Mike +5 points. Mike will get exactly 5 points. Because multiplication constants work only in case when giver has more points than receiver. :) So, Jane will lose 5 points which she gave and will receive a bonus for givings (0.05 * 5).  

4. TEXT AND GRAPHIC VERSIONS

Your reputations will look then like this:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2006, 11:39:38 AM »
Huh?   And Why?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
TOUGH GAME
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2006, 11:39:45 AM »
TOUGHER   CALL
LSR types tend to keep their head down.
This might bring them out and allow them to reflect their feelings better.
On the other hand, can the system be cheated to allow something or someone to get more or less than is real ?
The best use of this forum is to look past it to reality.
"Stars are mostly good for navigation and only provide a hint of illumination,"
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

landracing

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2006, 03:14:28 PM »
Why not.... Just a new feature of the board.... If people comment here and dislike them I can disable the feature.

basically  they are for fun, as are the cash points system. If someone posts a really good post that you like... Then you can give them an atta boy by giving them points.. the more you earn the more stars you have... If someone posts a terrible post then you can take points away from them...

If the system fails and people dont like I can get rid of them with a click of a button.

But I always look at ways to keeping the look and feel, fresh.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
YA
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2006, 04:34:35 PM »
I went to cash in my points to buy a sticker and you offered up Pesos.
I guess ya gotta read the fine print.
And as I have said before, "Anything that is in print is fine with me. It gives me something to work on".
It is the unidentified folks than can lead to the abuse. The unresponsive are another whole set of challenges.
Further definitions for the stars might help in the decision. For example a big gold one might mean "Bless You My son" and a red one might mean "Bite Me".

My wife of 40 years just said a funny.
"You are not the kinda guy to carefully watch what you say but rather you say how you feel and then watch carefully."
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
the rep
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2006, 05:13:54 PM »
so what are two stars for, jack has one big star, I have two medium? :P
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2006, 06:15:41 PM »
With Dolans reputation, shouldn't he have a lump of coal rather than a star?
Bob Drury

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
I see your point
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2006, 07:15:43 PM »
Quote from: Bob Drury
With Dolans reputation, shouldn't he have a lump of coal rather than a star?

"Their is more energy available in a lump of coal than all the starlight you can dream on and it is a better return on your investment." :wink:

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
It's all carbon
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2006, 08:36:28 PM »
.....I guess I'm diamond Jim then , no stars at all........or is it a string of pearls.....maybe it's just rabbitsh.........I'll chew on it for a while

btw ,40 years! ...strong woman.!!! :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Pearls of wisdom
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2006, 08:54:02 PM »
Pearls start life as an irritant inside one of the uglyest animals on the planet and they are even under water.
Great stuff from an unlikely source.
It is up to you to look past the obvious surface to get the real product and then you have to establish a value for it.
Sami was rescued from a Convent with the same objective. If you just want a refill, the local tavern is a good place. :wink:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 02:36:43 PM »
Whatever the star system cost, it was certainly worth less. By the way, Jane and Mike went on to become Tupperware distributors.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Xea

Re: The Reputation System by Stars
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2006, 12:25:10 PM »
What are the earlier topic summarys listed down below in the message window (before the current sumary)?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2006, 12:27:17 PM by Xea »
Faster, till the thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of death.

landracing

Re: The Reputation System by Stars
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2006, 03:19:01 PM »
Not sure what you mean xeA??? but i am locking this post since the topic was related to the old board now and has nothing to do with current board.

The reputation system last only 2 days... Then was removed from system never to return.

The stars you see now, on this new board, is for posting. 50 - 100- 250 - 500 posts.

Jon