Author Topic: Hasport Honda wreck at El Mirage  (Read 22650 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Hasport Honda wreck at El Mirage
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2013, 04:59:24 PM »
I have watched this video several times, it appears the left front tire either rolled off the rim or was going flat, it's to bad a video from the other side as well it would help.Just a thought but when it started look at the left tire.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2013, 06:26:10 PM »
Yikes, I just watched the vid about 7 times. I'll leave the analysis to those with a keener eye. Just glad Brian G. is recooping.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 06:33:05 PM »
I have watched this video several times, it appears the left front tire either rolled off the rim or was going flat, it's to bad a video from the other side as well it would help.Just a thought but when it started look at the left tire.

I have watched it multiple times as well in large screen HD and have to agree, it looks like the left front of the car starts getting closer to the ground then all heck breaks loose.

I am so glad that Brian is recouping.  That was a nasty set of rolls.  :-o
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 07:29:03 PM »
As many of you are aware of, I run the #343 2000 Insight in mostly GBGT presently at Loring and previously at ECTA NC. I also had concerns for the relatively short WB until I researched and found most Porsches, and other more exotic sports, including the Ferrari F40 are all under 100" WB  and many are capable of exceeding 200 mph. They also turn and go up hills and down, and more comfortably  than a sanctioned LSR vehicle. I say sanctioned as our cars are built for speed, in a straight line, Period.
We had minor stability issues at first , which had to do with spring rates, not anything endemic to the car.
Same deal with Aero,  we also wondered if what applies at 55 mph is the same over 200. I can't give a definitive answer as we've not exceeded 177  (officially), but widely available Aero formulas  give anybody wants to run in a class where this car fits the incentive,  as it can  go a lot faster with less HP than any other ICE production car ever built.
Another point to consider is the negative aspects of a long WB, as in a short WB might spin more readily but it won't roll as fast. Just sayin'......MVHOFWIW....
I hope this discussion stays constructive....
Bob Wanner

Offline skywalker18

• New folks
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2013, 08:30:48 PM »
That video is insane!!!  The speed at which it was rolling, is crazy. 

So glad to hear you are recovering well!

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2013, 10:20:02 PM »
Glad to hear that Brian is OK.

It looks to me as if the car was running up close to the cones and it started to drift into the mushy center.

The course was really bad all weekend, it didn't take a lot of horse power to tear up the surface.

J
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2013, 10:50:09 PM »
Glad to hear that Brian is OK.

It looks to me as if the car was running up close to the cones and it started to drift into the mushy center.

The course was really bad all weekend, it didn't take a lot of horse power to tear up the surface.

J

Good point. If the right front wheel got in the mush the left wheel would pull the car around if getting traction, depending on if they run a positraction unit or spool. Just a thought.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2013, 11:07:47 AM »
Is there such a thing as a posi-traction or spool in a FWD car?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »
yes, quaife, wave track, any type of insert or lincoln locker will work, just like a diff on a rear wheel drive.

If he let out instead of throttled up when the butt stepped around, it will definitely spin faster.

Online jl222

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2013, 11:36:30 AM »
Is there such a thing as a posi-traction or spool in a FWD car?

DW

I'm not sure about posi or spool but I scrolled down from video and came across another video ''from another run'' which shows car and talks about 500 hp and Hondata traction control.

He really was able to put the petal to the metal. That's what we want :-D

JL222

Online jl222

« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2013, 06:34:22 PM »

It sounds like Brian is in the throttle until it rolls the tire under, but he was probably out of it when it started to come around, the sound takes awhile to reach the video camera.

If he was still on the gas until it rolled, the sound would still be going as he was rolling.

JL222

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2013, 06:48:00 PM »
I've never driven on the salt, but having owned a high HP front wheel drive car, I
can attest that letting out of the throttle on slick surfaces definitely doesn't help
the a$$ end coming around... Even with a Quaife or other LSD, unloading the front
end by backing out will/should take weight off the back end and make it easier to
spin fast. I'm no physics professor (or student), but that seems feasible.
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline Tman

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2013, 09:17:14 AM »
The story has even made it International. UK Daily Mail had it up yesterday.

Offline DCarr511

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2013, 09:42:42 AM »
CNN just showed the video on TV. So now its National news here.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »
lifting in any way would be a mistake---if one has to lift --you better get in neutral first---

without some form of Stability Control which can apply the brakes independently to stop the spin ie  lf/rr to stop rotation
one cannot defy the laws of physics if there is not enough tractive effort available.  :-o

lifting just help it SNAP or go over the side of a mountain if one is going down hill on iffy traction

one cannot defy the laws of physics if there is not enough tractive effort available.  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!