Author Topic: Hasport Honda wreck at El Mirage  (Read 22648 times)

Offline skywalker18

• New folks
Hasport Honda wreck at El Mirage
« on: November 13, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »
I heard that the Hasport Honda had a pretty nasty wreck at El Mirage recently.  Anyone have any updates on the driver?  From the picture I saw, it looks as though they had to cut the cage to get the driver out.  The front end broke away, taking some of the energy from the rolling, but it still looked like it was a rough ride.  Hope the driver has a speedy recovery. 

Here is the picture I saw on Facebook.

Offline desotoman

Re: Hasport Honda wreck at El Mirage
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 11:15:27 PM »

Anyone have any updates on the driver?  Hope the driver has a speedy recovery. 

The following was posted on the SCTA site under health and welfare.

Tom G.

11/11/13:

Miriam and I have just returned from visiting Brian Gillespie at the Arrowhead Medical Centre in Colton. He was admitted with a collapsed lung, a cut on his shin and severe bruising around the head. He is progressing very well; sitting up, talking - still sharp as a tack. All the vehicle's safety equipment functioned perfectly. His family extends their thanks to the SCTA for their help and support.

Doug and Miriam Macmillan
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline skywalker18

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 09:35:31 PM »
Glad to hear he is doing well.  Thank you for the information!!

Offline brian g

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
I am happy to say, I am okay. I got some bumps, bruises and cuts but am healing nicely. I also had a torn lung but the hole has closed up. I am looking forward to next season, coming out and supporting Hondata and am already planning my next vehicle.

Don't tell my wife.

brian g

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 07:39:44 PM »
Glad to here you are on the mend. car is going to need a pait job.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Brian Healing just fine!
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »
I am happy to say, I am okay. I got some bumps, bruises and cuts but am healing nicely. I also had a torn lung but the hole has closed up. I am looking forward to next season, coming out and supporting Hondata and am already planning my next vehicle.

Don't tell my wife.

brian g

Congrats on a great season, take the time to heal, think, build and come out and do it again..except the crashing part.

Glad to hear you are OK, once I heard you crashed I loaded my bike and went home, same as I did this year when we heard Bill Warner crashed his bike at the Texas Mile..

Take care Brian.

John & Michelle

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 08:06:22 PM »
Looking at the photo makes me think airbags might be a good idea on some LSR cars.
John

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2013, 12:13:45 AM »
I hope I spur on some thought with this note. I also hate bringing up the past but when I feel it's revelant I will. I looked over the rule book and I'm not going to look thru all of of my last 35 years to see if what I'm going to interject is positive especially in this class but to me a vehicle with a 94.5" wheelbase at 200 MPH has got to be a lot to handle in the best of conditions let alone on El Mirage

A Honda Insight is areo because the manufacturer needed fuel milage. I can't imagine they tunnelled it for stability at 200 mph on loose dirt. The SCTA rule had wheelbase minimums for years for coupes and still do for roadsters and I believe at one time the Chevrolet Monza did not meet them so after it reach reasonably high speeds then the minimums were gone. At one time a "G" sized engine was not considered "high" horse power but with the advent of these new engine design and the use of turbos and fuel injections perhaps it's time to reevaluate wheelbases especially when it comes to MPH. The only mention of wheel base in the Modified catagory at all is the maximum 130" in Modified Sports.

When the rear engine modified roadster were brought back the first thing brought up was minimum wheelbase because of past problem and stability.

I'm glad our safety rules and the construction of the vehicle kept injuries to a minimum especially looking at the photos. As I read them our rules may not tell someone they can't build a Smart Car with turbo Hyabusa for power.

I look to others to chime in here and give there constructive opinions. .........JD

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2013, 07:04:45 AM »

JD, when the incident happened the first thing that came to mind for me was the very short wheelbase on the car. It conjured up images of the old Fuel Alterds at the drags. They were scary enough on asphalt.  :-o Wayno

Offline mkilger

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2013, 10:27:40 AM »
its on youtube now  :|

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2013, 10:34:31 AM »
Like a Blown, fuel, Anglia!! :-P
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline jdincau

Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2013, 11:20:28 AM »
I watched the video from the prospective of a racer and fabricator. I am like others I don't think the video serves any purpose but to learn.

This wreck makes the case for a collapsible steering column.

The second is it appears the passenger door came open and the door integrates with the side cage. Perhaps this is just on the passenger side and the driver's side is rigid welded. If not then the door opening would concern me in this type of design. Not criticizing the design, fab work or driving just seeking ideas and opinions to apply in the future.

Brian glad you are ok. All that matters is the Hansport did its most important job.

my 2 cents

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline SteveM

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2013, 12:26:20 PM »
Very glad that the driver is OK (at least as OK as could be hoped for) :cheers:

Watching the video with an eye towards "Root Cause Analysis" - what are the thoughts related to the fundamental root cause of this crash?  It appears that the car was still accelerating at the point where it appears to start getting sideways. 

From my purely amateurish perspective, does it seem like the car had different amounts of traction between the 2 front wheels, causing this "yaw" type motion?

With a rear-wheel drive vehicle, this kind of spin seems more understandable to me.  For a FWD vehicle, I hope we can all learn something about the root cause of this crash.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline jl222

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »
  Wow... that was a terrible wreck :-o

Somebody did a good job on the cage to withstand that!

I think I heard a slight change in revs before it got sideways. Still its front wheel drive. What really happened? Was the backend getting light from lift, Pretty good body shape though.

He was really hooking up and accelerating like hell. Has it been determined he came to a bad part of track '' the marbles''?

From the videos, we know it didn't catch air and roll, but just rolled over on itself.

We had to remove our front anti-roll bar on the 222 camaro but after looking at video would like to have one front and back.

JL222