Author Topic: Goldenrod  (Read 7246 times)

Offline TrickyDicky

Re: Goldenrod
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2013, 08:31:13 AM »
when Al (Teague) set the record in 1991, he was not competing against the Summers brothers record...so the 1 percent rule has no effect on Al's record...in 91, Al was the owner of the fastest wheel driven record...also in 91 he had set the record over the kilo with a 425 mph...

Not looking to upset anyone - just want to understand what really happened .....

Is there any evidence that Al Teague went at 425 mph over a flying kilo?  It seems unlikely that someone could go 425 for a kilo and 409 for a mile on the same runs.  Is it possible the FIA made a mistake?  :-o

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 08:40:23 AM »
It most likely has to do with how they had the course set up---ie where the timing lights were:

m    m       ml             ml      m    m
                   k l         kl
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dw230

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 10:51:21 AM »
If I remember the timing lights for Al were set up like this;

m   m   m      k   km   m   m - kilo at the end of the mile trap

Today the set up at Cook's Shootout is;

m   m   m  k   k  m   m   m- kilo is the middle of the mile trap

This could account for the speed differences.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 12:42:11 PM »
I talked with Al about this...because he was never aware of this 425 mph record for the kilo....reason...this speed number on the certification is in km/h...and he never converted into mph...

Al told me, that his paper of the timing he got, showed only one way this 425 mph speed...and a slower run on the other....looks, that someone done here a mistake...

after I asked Al, there was some communication with the FIA which ends up with the comment from them "it stays so in the FIA list...and it will stay so...." also if there is a mistake.

For Al, his opinion is, that they gave him a far to fast speed record...

and Dan, I can remember the way as you show it, also Al mention this timing lights this way
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 12:45:03 PM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2013, 08:37:05 PM »
Yep, that is pretty much how it pans out, 425 was the Kilo speed on the down run.
The salt was really wet at the other end that day so we decided to push back a mile & do the return run using only 4 miles.  Al came off the push truck in 2nd gear to lug the engine down & not blow the tires away.
The return speed was lower due to only running 4 miles & that's why the two way mile average doesn't look right against the one way Kilo speed on the down run that FIA recorded.
  Sid.