Author Topic: Goldenrod  (Read 7248 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Goldenrod
« on: November 12, 2013, 11:41:28 AM »
On this date, in 1965 . . .

From Wikipedia:
Goldenrod is an American streamliner car which held the wheel-driven land speed record from 1965 to 1991. It was owned by Bob and Bill Summers, of Ontario, California.
The brothers found success on November 12, 1965, when Goldenrod set the wheel-driven record at 409.277 mph (658.64 km/h) over the flying mile, an FIA record which was held for 42 years 9 months and 14 days.

It was unofficially broken in 1991 by Al Teague with his supercharged Hemi-powered Spirit of '76, which went 409.986 mph (659.81 km/h) which was short of the one percent increase required for an official record which would have been at least 413.36977 mph.

Later the Burklands' 411 Streamliner set the official new record at 415.896 mph (669.319 km/h) on 2008/09/26 (Class AI-I-11). Goldenrod was not supercharged, so it still held the class (AI-II-11) record until 21 September 2010, when Charles Nearburg in the Spirit of Rett increased this to 414.316 mph.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Frankie7799

Re: Goldenrod
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »
A little something to go along with this historical anniversary

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTf-I-Av5d8&feature=em-share_video_user

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 12:30:26 PM »
Al did not break the Summers Brothers FIA record Charlie N. from Dallas did a couple of years ago he beat their speed but not their record.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, 12:33:26 PM »
The split of the wheel driven records into different kind of engine...turbine, piston, unblown, blown...is way back from 1965....when Al (Teague) set the record in 1991, he was not competing against the Summers brothers record...so the 1 percent rule has no effect on Al's record...in 91, Al was the owner of the fastest wheel driven record...also in 91 he had set the record over the kilo with a 425 mph...Tom (Burkland) broke only the mile record from Al, but not the kilo. Since 2001 Don (Vesco) is holding the fastest wheel driven record with the Turbinator. Charles (Nearburg) broke at last the Summers record in 2010....to this time there was still the 1 percent rule....so it was very close with the 414 mph.

The record which Al broke was the John Cobb record from 1947

so, please, no unofficial broken records....keep the facts straight and don't let legends became facts.....history is history....and legends are nice stories...and sometimes a lie.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 12:38:12 PM »
PP thanks for filling in the blanks  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »
The split of the wheel driven records into different kind of engine...turbine, piston, unblown, blown...is way back from 1965....when Al (Teague) set the record in 1991, he was not competing against the Summers brothers record...so the 1 percent rule has no effect on Al's record...in 91, Al was the owner of the fastest wheel driven record...also in 91 he had set the record over the kilo with a 425 mph...Tom (Burkland) broke only the mile record from Al, but not the kilo. Since 2001 Don (Vesco) is holding the fastest wheel driven record with the Turbinator. Charles (Nearburg) broke at last the Summers record in 2010....to this time there was still the 1 percent rule....so it was very close with the 414 mph.

The record which Al broke was the John Cobb record from 1947

so, please, no unofficial broken records....keep the facts straight and don't let legends became facts.....history is history....and legends are nice stories...and sometimes a lie.... :roll: :roll: :roll:
Thanks for that Mate.
Porkpie not only knows the history, he was always there at the end of Al's runs. He knows more about what we did & when we did it than we do. :-)
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 04:55:10 PM »
 :cheers: thanks Sid

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 03:35:45 PM »
Great video that was posted on the HAMB with a warning it may not be up on Youtube for long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTf-I-Av5d8&feature=player_embedded

Nope, just went private. Was a 15 minute documentary owned by Bob Summers.

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 03:49:05 PM »
I used the youtube downloader and the movie is on my harddrive so i can watch it anytime. I do not understand why the family would not want LSR fans to be able to see the movie. Does not make any since to me. I misunderstood the narrator he said it cost 1/4 of a million dollars to build the car not 20 million.  
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 07:26:20 PM by racefanwfo »
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 06:58:01 PM »
Both Bob & Bill Summers are no longer with us. I guess the family owns the rights to the film and maybe make a few $ from time to time.

I did get to see it on the Hamb before it was taken down. I enjoyed it.  8-)

God Speed Summers Bros. 
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Tman

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »
I used the youtube downloader and the movie is on my harddrive so i can watch it anytime. I do not understand why the family would not want LSR fans to be able to see the movie. Does not make any since to me. I misunderstood the narrator he said it cost 1/4 of a million dollars to build the car not 20 million.  

It is an important part of our history, I hope it ends up at the new museum. I would pay to see that 15 minutes again!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 06:16:44 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Ford owns it now and its in their museum. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 06:30:12 PM »
You are correct Tony Ford does own Goldenrod now.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 06:41:46 PM »
Actually, it's owned by The Henry Ford Museum (a completely separate, non-profit [I think]), not Ford Motor Company.

http://www.thehenryford.org/museum/goldenrod.aspx

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford_Museum

:cheers:  :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Tman

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought Ford owns it now and its in their museum. Tony

I meant the movie, I would pay to see the movie.