Author Topic: Car data acquisition & display options?  (Read 47005 times)

Offline entropy

Car data acquisition & display options?
« on: November 08, 2013, 07:37:12 AM »
My partner & I recently switched from running LSR bikes to a Lakester which we plan to put on the salt at 2014 Speed Week.
We have moderately strong installation & operation experience with AIM Sport and Innovate, not 100% pleased with either.

So I am researching data logging options for a car on salt.  

RacePak & Edlebrock Quick Data keep coming up in discussions, but I am open to anything.
Dave Dahlgren of this site kindly offered to configure a solution for us, but I feel his vast experience and preferences deal with more complexity than we need.

Any comments, advice, experience would be gratefully received!!!
Thanks,
Karl

basically...

TFA Racing Lakester data acquisition / recording / display requirements
(current engine:  mild 500hp 383cui V8, 4 bbl carburetor)

- system must be 100% reliable (no flimsy connectors, no quirky software)
- cost: probably $3-5K depending upon dash & number/type channels & sensors

Requirements
- dash w/shiftlight
- 2 x A/F sensors
- RPM
- throttle position
- engine oil pressure
- engine oil temp
- water temp into motor
- water temp out of motor
- fuel pressure
- F wheel speed
- R wheel speed
- dash display of % tire slip
- GPS - instantaneous mph & time/distance traveled

- Crankcase pressure - good to have
- Intake Air Temperature - good to have
- Intake Manifold Pressure - good to have
- Accelerometer - good to have
- Front camera - good to have
- Rear Camera - good to have

Note:  logging system needs to be expandable to log FI /turbo stuff
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 10:22:55 AM by entropy »

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: Car data acquisition & display options?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 07:49:54 AM »
I have a RacePak data logger dash. I am really happy with it. It can handle all of your listed data needs and more. Donnie at RacePak is involved with the 911 Roadster so he is typically out on the Salt at the events. What impressed me is after Bonneville when I disassembled my car all of my RacePak connectors were in great shape and reusable.

The software is intuitive and easy to master. I like the GPS MPH function fight on the dash read out. I found it to be within .010 of the timing clocks.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 10:35:26 AM »
I have goods things about Racepak and Donnie. :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline entropy

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 10:45:53 AM »
I have goods things about Racepak and Donnie. :cheers:

fred,
you "have the goods on Donnie"? :cheers:
karl

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 11:28:02 AM »

RacePak & Edlebrock Quick Data keep coming up in discussions, but I am open to anything.
Dave Dahlgren of this site kindly offered to configure a solution for us, but I feel his vast experience and preferences deal with more complexity than we need.

Any comments, advice, experience would be gratefully received!!!
Thanks,
Karl

Note:  logging system needs to be expandable to log FI /turbo stuff

Dave is a really smart guy, and he knows this stuff so well that it sounds quite complex, but when you get to the "do it" stage, Dave is the guy you want on your team.  You are planning to switch to turbo/EFI after the car is sorted... you will want Dave to call on.  
Here is my story... we got tired of piggy back on piggy back control, switching all the ECU wiring when we changed motors, buying piggy backs for everything... well you know the drill, so a guy on this site had a Motec for sale, we struck a deal and I had a Motec.  Jon Amo had one on his bike, Joe Amo had one on his bike, they both said call Dave.  I did.  Dave had done the wiring loom and sold the Motec several years before.  I told him what I was planning and doing, we talked about what I had and what I was trying to do.  He told me I had most of what I needed, the differences in what I was doing with the small four as opposed to the Buell that it was designed for and how to change it all.  He knew Busa from working with Ack, so I took the easy route and bought a few connectors, relays and sensors from Dave.  He told me he could build my relay set for me, but it would be cheaper for me to just build it myself, he told me how it needed to work, and I built it.  (For the salt you want all of your wiring and relays to be sealed... not sealed like the relays on the bike... sealed.)  Dave has sent me to his suppliers to buy parts, why, because it would cost more to have it shipped to him and then him sell and ship it to me.  He is great to work with... yes we are now good friends... I had met him, but I didn't know him before I bought the Motec.  I call, and he talks me through stuff... I send him a map, he looks at it and we talk about it, great coach for someone learning EFI from scratch... me... Hey, years ago I was going to put carbs on a Busa motor because I didn't know anything about EFI.
Do I sound like a Dave fan... yes I am.  Motec may not be the cheapest stuff out there, but it is all expandable to be as simple or complicated as you want it.  Call Dave and talk a little.  Or call me and talk a little....
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline entropy

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 07:07:31 AM »
Stainless,
Thanks a million for taking the time to relate yr situation and help you received from Dave.
I have heard the same great things about Dave from several other people.  Apparently he has helped MANY folks out.

I did talk to Dave, he was great, and we agreed that his expertise was most useful to projects that are combining Engine Management Systems with data logging/display.  His genius is particularly helpful to folks just starting down the EMS & EFI & data logging road, or folks with very complicated/sophisticated systems, like road racing applications.

Our 2014 needs are modest, routine data logging and display, no EFI/EMS whatever.
I have 10+ years installing/using data logging systems in a motorcycle EFI environment; both dave & I agreed, that what i primarily needed was the simply right product & vendor.

One of Don & my very helpful "email buddies" sent this last night which sums it up for me:
"If you want to acquire and read car data go with the RacePack. If you want to manage data and use it to drive the engine management systems go Motec and Dave Dahlgren is the master."

wheelrdealer,
Thanks for your comments on Racepak, I have heard similar comments from most other people.

We are still evaluating solutions but yesterday we were supplied a very timely & attractive quote on a complete Racepak system from Greg Kelly in Hainesport, NJ, which handles all our requirements including the dash, sensors & cables for not a lot more than $4k.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 12:19:22 PM »
Sounds like you already tried Innovate.  We have been happy with them with the Stude.  A few problems in the past but looking back they were our fault.  I like the new data recorder, the PL-1, but would like it better if they got the remote start implemented.  We run the Innovate on a separate battery to keep it all from dropping out during engine starts (low voltage).  We added a lot to it this year and are now data logging 16 inputs.  We don't have some of the dash items you want, but I wonder if a driver can look at them anyway on a run?

The Stude is not running EFI at this point but a blow-thru C & S carb.  I'm planning on starting with EFI on the lakester and will most likely go with DIYautotune's Mega Squirt MS3-Pro....

http://www.diyautotune.com/ms3-pro.html

..... It has enough data logging to handle about everything we are doing with the Innovate on the Stude and of course also fuel and spark control and added options like traction control and wastegate control and is priced under $1400.  You don't have to run the fuel/spark to use it for datalogging.

It is not a simple plug-and-play system so not for everyone and maybe not for you but it might fit some of the people's needs that are reading this thread.  Jerry at DIYautotune also has been to the salt, supports teams like ours and has a car that he is bringing to the salt so another supplier that is also one of us,

Sum

Offline entropy

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 09:42:21 PM »
Sum,
Thanks much for your detailed reply.
Innovate:  yup, i used DL-32 etc for 12 years and generally got good data but their components and especially their connections are fragile.  I imagine a smart looking asian guy, pocket full of pens, building and testing their systems on a bench, being very happy with ease of use & performance; BIG smile on his face.  But in the real world...
Also, the DL-32 isn't able to handle wheel speed without using a digital to analog convertor.  I had one made but just another complication.

Reliability of my logging system is one of my obsessions. 
With Innovate, I had trace issues or no logs at all about 20% of the time on dyno or track which isn't acceptable.  Especially when you add that failure rate to me getting stupid and forgetting to turn on the logger from time to time.
I'm sure that many of my problems were self induced. :-D

Offline DND

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 03:41:50 AM »
Karl

Why cant you wire it so when the engine switch is on the Data PC is on too, then no brain fade deals of forgetting

G Don

Offline entropy

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:48:07 AM »
Karl

Why cant you wire it so when the engine switch is on the Data PC is on too, then no brain fade deals of forgetting

G Don

My Innovate control box was on whenever the bike was on, you still need to it a button to start the logging process.

To make things even more fun, with my AIM Sport data logger, it was necessary to hit the stop logging button before shutting off the bike or you'd lose the log.  I told AIM support about it and they couldn't "fix" it.

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 09:59:27 AM »
I decided to try the Innovate MTX-L wide band O2 sensor and gauge, as the reviews were positive.  In order to log the data vs. RPM and EGT, I also purchased the respective MTX-D gauges and the PL-1 Pocket Logger.  I'm not impressed by Innovates interconnecting wiring, as is seems to be a combination of old and new.  Firstly, attaching gauges to a computer for set-up uses an RS-232 cable connection.  New computers don't have that so I guess you buy an adapter to connect to a USB port.  Except all the reviews I've read say that the adapter sometimes picks up noise.  And you need a PC and Windows to read the software and I have a Mac.  And it seems from the reviews that Windows XP is the best OS to use.  OK so I can buy a re-manufactured Dell computer that has the RS-232 port and Windows XP.  But, the PL-1 Pocket Logger uses an SD card to log data and comes with a card reader to plug into a USB port.  But of course, I don't think the older Dell computer has a USB port. 

The other anomaly is that the gauges are designed to be daisy chained together and to the Data Logger, but all the connectors are the same gender, i.e. all male pins.  So you have to buy patch cables with female to female ends which are 4 feet long, which would be fine if my gauges were 4 feet apart!  And all this wiring has to fit in a space about 8" square between my frame rails and above my motor.  I don't expect to be able to read all of them, but I think I need them if I want the data to log using RPM as a reference rather than just time.

Here are a few photos of one of the gauges and its connectors as well as the Pocket Logger and its 4 foot connector ends.  With the right tools and some extra Molex Mini Jr. connectors, I guess I could make a shorter connector, but I don't know what part numbers I need nor where to buy small quantities.  Or I could just cut the 4 foot cables and splice the wires back together.

Any ideas?
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »
Whatever the price of admission to access D. D. warped mind is worth it---but be aware he is not above trying you on with an "intelligence test" :-o ---such as-- do you keep dragging the beer cooler out of the sun into the shade  :?  I passed--lol  :roll:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:48:48 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline entropy

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 12:41:53 PM »
KK, i feel your pain.

My home laptop is a mac.
To run my new Racepak System I had to buy a Dell.
Oh well, buying the stuff is 1/10th of the battle.

Right now I am trying to craft a "Data Logging, Display, and Interpretation Plan" covering both analog gauges & digital output.
My head hurts.
Karl

PS:  I ran several Innovate systems on my bikes; GD connectors drove me nuts.  But the data was 1st rate when everything was set up right.

Offline RansomT

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 01:48:56 PM »
All Dell laptops that I am aware of built since 1999 have usb ports.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2014, 04:58:25 PM »
...Any ideas?

A couple. 

USB -- Serial Adapter.  I've use one of these for all kinds of programs including Innovate on different computers with never a problem....

http://www.amazon.com/Keyspan-USA-19HS-Hi-Speed-supports-Sequence/dp/tags-on-product/B0000VYJRY

I also bought some $12 Chinese ones, but haven't tried them.

A year ago while we could still get them with Windows 7 we bought two Gateway Netbooks at Walmart...

http://www.amazon.com/Gateway-Series-LT4010U-1-6GHz-Starter/dp/B00AKHO2QQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

....for a little over $200 and love them and I now run the Innovate software on them for setup at home and to view on the track using the Keyspan adapter above.  Not a true daylight screen but I don't have to view in the pits under a towel all the time.  I think they have been discontinued due to things going to Windows 8 but one might be able to pick one up used. 

If you can find the USB port on that computer then a $10 card reader will have you in business.

Had you considered not another gauge but instead the LMA-3 AuxBox.  For not too much more than the gauge you would of had 5 channels of data:

3-Bar MAP / Boost
    RPM
    Injector Duty Cycle
    EGT / CHT
    2-Axis Accelerometer
    MTS compliant

....and some of those can be reconfigure for other inputs if desired.

The wiring can be confusing I agree and is setup more for a car than a bike.  I don't think there is a way to shorten the gauge wiring but if wiring between things like LMA-3's and other devices they do have shorter 1 foot cables,

Sum