Author Topic: Titanium Weld in Bungs  (Read 10430 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: Titanium Weld in Bungs
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2013, 12:51:22 PM »
Titanium is really muley to machine but if you want to try something interesting try cutting it with an oxy/acetylene cutting torch. It cuts beautifully and really quickly.

Pete

Offline bbarn

Re:
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2013, 01:02:31 PM »
PJ, that is evil!  I sent a guy to the grinder once with a piece of titanium to grid off a large nub...I bet he is still seeing green spots when he blinks 20 years later!
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2013, 01:04:11 PM »
The book "The Racing Motorcycle" vol 2 has a lot of info on Ti.  The 6-4 is annealed.  Usually I cut and tap Ti for a 60% thread depth.  I will try a tapered hole and tapping to 60%.  It is getting that last little bit of tread depth that is the problem.  I will also use anti-sieze as a thread cutting lube.  I did not do that last night.

Offline Peter Jack

Re:
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2013, 02:28:45 PM »
PJ, that is evil!  I sent a guy to the grinder once with a piece of titanium to grid off a large nub...I bet he is still seeing green spots when he blinks 20 years later!

I'm serious, it works really well and of course you should be wearing proper cutting goggles.

In one shop I partnered in we used to weld a fair bit of magnesium. We used to do a fair bit of prep on a 20" grinding wheel. If you left the grindings on the table the next guy who ground a piece of steel saw a fairly decent flash.  :-o :-o :-D

Pete

Offline rouse

• Impound is the place to be
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2013, 05:02:37 PM »
We cut, machine, burn, roll, thread, and weld Titanium all the time, peace of cake.

Your right, cutting with torch is the way to do big parts, fast very fast, lots of smoke, unbelievable amount of smoke, BIG-ASS Fan not enough.

Rouse
Johnnie Rouse
Bike 4680 P-PP2000 SCTA record 153.325    A-PF3000 182.920
                              Texas Mile 152.518 PP class  186 A-PF Class
If you love your freedom thank a vet.