Author Topic: SCTA financial report October/November 2013  (Read 24383 times)

Offline jimmy six

Re: SCTA financial report October/November 2013
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2013, 08:07:11 PM »
Oh, to remember the 70's and 80's. One course, drilling hundreds of holes in the salt before the entrants came with my own generator and drill, inspecting cars on the the airport and at the salt. No covers for the inspectors, 2 runs on the same morning for a record and no impounds; you went to your pit after qualifing and were in line at 7:00AM. No food on the salt but what you brought including work days setting up pits, the course, and laying wire. No rooms for the workers (get your own) or course stewards. Course stewards got a lunch brought to them and made out of the back of a station wagon. Speeds for the day posted on the Werstern Cafe and the Stateline. No Per Diem. And the most important thing:

$100.00 entry fee for the week
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2013, 08:54:20 PM »
Oh, to remember the 70's and 80's. One course, drilling hundreds of holes in the salt before the entrants came with my own generator and drill, inspecting cars on the the airport and at the salt. No covers for the inspectors, 2 runs on the same morning for a record and no impounds; you went to your pit after qualifing and were in line at 7:00AM. No food on the salt but what you brought including work days setting up pits, the course, and laying wire. No rooms for the workers (get your own) or course stewards. Course stewards got a lunch brought to them and made out of the back of a station wagon. Speeds for the day posted on the Werstern Cafe and the Stateline. No Per Diem. And the most important thing:

$100.00 entry fee for the week

We are spoiled now  :cry:.

Oh $100 in 1975 would be the same as $435.00 now  8-) ...

http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php

Sum

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2013, 10:07:20 PM »
Well, yes.  There is per diem.  And a free hamburger once a day.  Five hour minimum -- most usually work 10 to 12.  Figures out to be a lot less than minimum wage.  I work 6 days and don't cover my gas bill to get there and back.  Or eat something more than the hamburger.  Or get there and back without anything when cancelled.  But I'm reliable.  That's why I quit my day job -- I'm gonna get rich off the SCTA!

Stan, didn't you pay attention when they said don't quit your day job....  :roll:
Try to not squander your new found fortune on box wine...  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2013, 10:43:57 PM »
I think it's way cheap, especially compared to other racing venues.

A track day at Road America is typically about $200.00 - that's a track day - not a Speedweek.

Membership to a Midwest Sports Car Council club is about on par with BNI membership.

SCTA-BNI doesn't charge for a license renewal.

The infrastructure doesn't have to be set up from scratch every year at an established race track.

Most race venues don't have to enlist the services of a liaison with the BLM or spend resources to see that the substrate of their track isn't sucked out from underneath them for potash.

I'm not going to begrudge any volunteer gas money, a hotel room or sandwiches in a misguided witch hunt to account the event to the last nickel.  

I think we're blessed to have it at all - and it is a bargain.

My only concern is that the sanctioning bodies remain solvent.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 10:46:00 PM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2013, 10:54:15 PM »
I'm gonna get rich off the SCTA!

No wonder you can afford to race at El Mirage once a year!
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline jl222

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2013, 03:19:17 PM »
This is from the most recent SCTA meeting.  It shows some startling news - at least it's startling to me.  Remember, by the way, that SCTA is a public non-profit organisation and therefore stuff like this is available to the public.  I didn't "steal" it nor take it from unsubstantiated sources.

SCTA:  Excerpts from Friday night’s SCTA-BNI Board and Reps Meeting:

Mike Manghelli passed out a financial document showing two pages back-to back income and expenses separated into two types.  When the numbers are considered together both membership and racing incomes and expenses they total up to the following losses to the SCTA in total (this excluded BNI subsidies)

2010 –loss $46,500.00
2011 –loss $69,000.00
2012 – loss $55,000.00
These numbers are confirmed by Delia Riley.

Roy Creel did some quick accounting and he came up with a cost to the SCTA of $158.00 per vehicle to race and the SCTA is currently charging $65.00 to the entrant.

BNI:  Excerpts from Friday night’s SCTA-BNI Board and Reps Meeting:

This accounting of the year to date shows income of $689,652.17 and expenses of $716,365.96 leaving a negative balance of -$26,713.79.  Russ Eyres also included a report dated 08/01/2013 through 10/25/203 as a separate item.  This captures most of the activity during Speed Week.  This report shows an income of $282,690.89 and expenses of $518,898.06 creating a substantial negative balance of -$236,207.20.

Also included in this report were comparisons from 2010, 2011 and 2012.  The report was very revealing showing the following results:  
2010 Income $752,770.69 Expenses $795,740.64 Balance -$42,969.95
2011 Income $721,739.07 Expenses $859,203.89 Balance -$137,464.82
2012 Income $936,626.85 Expenses $950,963.06 Balance -$14,336.25

The following is not specifically in the minutes but if the numbers that are listed in the SCTA treasurers report and the BNI treasurers report are considered together this are the total losses for the SCTA-BNI:

2010: Loss -$89,469.95
2011: Loss -$206,464.82
2012: Loss -$69,336.25
Total Loss $365,271.02
And 2013 is not looking good

THANK YOU Slim... It's startling to me also and I can't figure out why most of the members aren't.

With approximately 500 entries at bville for $400 =$200,000 + sales income ect, say 100 entries at El Mirage at $65=6500 X6 = $39,000 + sales and dues ect. TOTAL approximately  $239,000 + sales ect.

With an income of $936,626.85 a professional audit is needed every year. MISTAKES can be made, TRUST BUT NOT BLIND TRUST.

Even if one had a financial statement showing income and expences IT WOULD BE WORTHLESS WITH OUT A COPY OF THE BILLS THAT WERE PAID.

We have a 5000 sq ft 7 unit office building professionaly managed we find mistakes all the time. Sometimes the renters haven't paid their rent. we're the auditors ''well Linda is'' and mistakes happen a lot and the income is not a 10th of SCTA'S

In our Monthly expense statement we get a copy of bills to compare against checks written.

Other wise it's blind trust.

JL222

« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 04:43:57 PM by jl222 »

Offline jh333

« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2013, 04:12:42 PM »
If no one has anything to hide or any hidden agendas they should be HAPPY to have their work audited. That would take away any questions anyone has about the finances and would also be another layer of protection for the board members.

82 and Sunny here 

Offline jl222

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2013, 05:01:01 PM »

In addition to hotel room they also get meal tickets, breakfast, lunch, whenever at the food vendor.

What in hell do you think they spent $518,819 on :?

If the Enola Gay is flipping a half million dollars worth of burgers and breakfast burritos over ten days, that’s where I’d start an audit.  

Then we could move on to that hourly wage paystub your team member has, if he's willing to share it . . .   He did report the income on his taxes, correct?

jl, I really think you're tilting at windmills on this one.  It's important that the organization(s) stay solvent, but if they're putting together a program of this magnitude for less that $1 M, that's shockingly economical.

I'm hope he didn't and probably not as I know he has more than 1/2 a brain.

Linda and I were on the work crew several yrs ago a couple of times , [ I never thought of myself as a volunteer as we got free rooms at 1st then they started paying for hrs worked] I don't remember what I got paid but Linda worked at the timing stand and remembers
getting $25 per 1/2 day  and sun poisoning. AND HELL NO we didn't report it as income.

JL222

Adding to this, There are some that really do volunteer there time like DW and others in impound, Glen broadcasting all day, course stewarts
and others for their love of the sport,

JL222
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 05:31:05 PM by jl222 »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2013, 05:26:56 PM »
This is from the most recent SCTA meeting.  It shows some startling news - at least it's startling to me.  Remember, by the way, that SCTA is a public non-profit organisation and therefore stuff like this is available to the public.  I didn't "steal" it nor take it from unsubstantiated sources.

SCTA:  Excerpts from Friday night’s SCTA-BNI Board and Reps Meeting:

Mike Manghelli passed out a financial document showing two pages back-to back income and expenses separated into two types.  When the numbers are considered together both membership and racing incomes and expenses they total up to the following losses to the SCTA in total (this excluded BNI subsidies)

2010 –loss $46,500.00
2011 –loss $69,000.00
2012 – loss $55,000.00
These numbers are confirmed by Delia Riley.

Roy Creel did some quick accounting and he came up with a cost to the SCTA of $158.00 per vehicle to race and the SCTA is currently charging $65.00 to the entrant.

BNI:  Excerpts from Friday night’s SCTA-BNI Board and Reps Meeting:

This accounting of the year to date shows income of $689,652.17 and expenses of $716,365.96 leaving a negative balance of -$26,713.79.  Russ Eyres also included a report dated 08/01/2013 through 10/25/203 as a separate item.  This captures most of the activity during Speed Week.  This report shows an income of $282,690.89 and expenses of $518,898.06 creating a substantial negative balance of -$236,207.20.

Also included in this report were comparisons from 2010, 2011 and 2012.  The report was very revealing showing the following results:   
2010 Income $752,770.69 Expenses $795,740.64 Balance -$42,969.95
2011 Income $721,739.07 Expenses $859,203.89 Balance -$137,464.82
2012 Income $936,626.85 Expenses $950,963.06 Balance -$14,336.25

The following is not specifically in the minutes but if the numbers that are listed in the SCTA treasurers report and the BNI treasurers report are considered together this are the total losses for the SCTA-BNI:

2010: Loss -$89,469.95
2011: Loss -$206,464.82
2012: Loss -$69,336.25
Total Loss $365,271.02
And 2013 is not looking good

THANK YOU Slim... It's startling to me also and I can't figure out why most of the members aren't.

With approximately 500 entries at bville for $400 =$200,000 + sales income ect, say 100 entries at El Mirage at $65=6500 X6 = $39,000 + sales and dues ect. TOTAL approximately  $239,000 + sales ect.

With an income of $936,626.85 a professional audit is needed every year. MISTAKES can be made, TRUST BUT NOT BLIND TRUST.

Even if one had a financial statement showing income and expences IT WOULD BE WORTHLESS WITH OUT A COPY OF THE BILLS THAT WERE PAID.

We have a 5000 sq ft 7 unit office building professionaly managed we find mistakes all the time. Sometimes the renters haven't paid their rent. we're the auditors ''well Linda is'' and mistakes happen a lot and the income is not a 10th of SCTA'S

In our Monthly expense statement we get a copy of bills to compare against checks written.

Other wise it's blind thrust.

JL222

John L.

I disagree with you, Slim should not have posted this information as I have already disclosed in this thread.

You are an SCTA member, Slim is not, I suggest that you do yourself a favor and contact Delia Riley and ask her what is going on, or Contact Russ Eyres, if you are a BNI member. Don't rely on message boards for your information because you are assuming they are 100 percent correct and accurate, do your own homework. Slim will not disclose where he got this information, do you know for a fact it has not been tampered with? Once again everyone is assuming everything posted is accurate. Find out for yourself.  

This is the kind of problems you run into when only partial presumed facts are listed on a message board, everyone starts to yell and scream without finding out the facts, once they find out the facts then they can compare them with what is posted and see if there are discrepancies. I think this was for political purposes, as it is election time, and the ballets have not been counted. JMO but it makes sense since it has never been brought up in the previous two years.  

Racers demand more courses, more courses cost more money. Mother Nature cancels some events, income diminished, no sales from Sales trailer stocked with merchandise already paid for, and entry money is refunded. It ain't rocket science, but you need to get the facts, and don't rely on message boards or hearsay.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jl222

« Reply #54 on: November 06, 2013, 05:47:55 PM »

Tom... there are several SCTA members here does anyone know where all that income comes from and has any of them seen the bills?

I could get their financial report but I wouldn't get the bills and foto copy of checks paying them.

With an income close to a million bucks the SCTA books should be done by a professionl and a club rep needs to ask for an audit everyear to check the pro.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2013, 02:39:32 PM »

Some might think of an audit as a bad thing. Linda worked for banks many yrs. Mistakes were made frequently, there was
errors in transposing -math-in counting-handling cash-wrong accounts-numerous things.

Also tellers were audited twice a year, once by federal auditors, once by bank auditors just normal procedure.

I was checking on roof tile delivered today, tile does not look like sample we picked, [mislabeled sample]? anyhow
  reading #s I transposed the ist 2. 1 morning 2 mistakes :-D

JL222

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2013, 05:14:16 PM »
Tom Says:
do you know for a fact it has not been tampered with? Once again everyone is assuming everything posted is accurate.

Yes I do, I see it's a cut and paste from the Meeting Minutes, and you do also...

away from innuendo and back to facts... and the subject at hand; which I see is getting the SCTA/BNI Profitable
and encouraging new and young people to participate and expand the consumer base creating more revenue.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline desotoman

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2013, 06:12:45 PM »

SCTA:  Excerpts from Friday night’s SCTA-BNI Board and Reps Meeting:

BNI:  Excerpts from Friday night’s SCTA-BNI Board and Reps Meeting:

Tom Says:
do you know for a fact it has not been tampered with? Once again everyone is assuming everything posted is accurate.

Yes I do, I see it's a cut and paste from the Meeting Minutes, and you do also...

away from innuendo and back to facts... and the subject at hand; which I see is getting the SCTA/BNI Profitable
and encouraging new and young people to participate and expand the consumer base creating more revenue.

Mike,

I have a copy of the minutes in question, and I don't have the SCTA's permission to post them so I won't.  But if I wanted I could cut/ copy /and paste any information from those minutes I wanted, you know that your an IT guy. And I could do it in a way that slants what is really going on.

All I am saying is message boards are sometimes slanted towards what people want you to hear or think, but if you want the true facts contact the source which is the BNI or SCTA treasurer. What is so hard about that?  If you go back and look I have suggested that two or three times already. 

"encouraging new and young people to participate"

I am all ears, my suggestion would be to create a game every kid could play on their smartphone as IMO that is the only way you will ever get through to them, unless they were brought up in the sport.

Tom G.

PS. I sent you a PM and never got an answer?

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »
Well, yes.  There is per diem.  And a free hamburger once a day.  Five hour minimum -- most usually work 10 to 12.  Figures out to be a lot less than minimum wage.  I work 6 days and don't cover my gas bill to get there and back.  Or eat something more than the hamburger.  Or get there and back without anything when cancelled.  But I'm reliable.  That's why I quit my day job -- I'm gonna get rich off the SCTA!

Stan, didn't you pay attention when they said don't quit your day job....  :roll:
Try to not squander your new found fortune on box wine...  :cheers:

Yep. that's why I come over, It doesn't quite cover my gas either
Working in Tech you tend to get some free beer as well
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline jl222

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »

Stan...do you get a room out of working? most do. My room at Red Garter was approximately $1300 for 10 days. Golden Nugget would have been 500 more.

Don't you get meal tickets to be used at any time and more than once a day like everyone else?

Hey, I'm not begrudging free rooms, meal tickets, or workers getting paid, just setting the record straight that volunteers ''workers'' are getting some benefits for their time and I appreciate it, otherwise it would be hard to get enough unpaid volunteers tp have a meet. The workers I pit with are constantly getting called out to repair course markers but I know others that work very little during the week but stay at end of meet for tear down and pick up.

JL222 :cheers: