Author Topic: SCTA financial report October/November 2013  (Read 24381 times)

Offline edinlr

Re: SCTA financial report October/November 2013
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2013, 07:20:51 PM »
Audit? We don't need no stinkin audit, besides, we have the NSA watching, listening, and reading everything already.  They would have had the FBI and IRS in here by now if there was a problem.

Seriously, an audit would easily run $3000 to $5000, so unless the members have an issue, this would be a waste of money.  The numbers that Slim quoted above were enough to make you ask questions, but that is the board and the member's issue.  I just hope the organization stays healthy enough to keep putting on events for the next fifty years.

P.S.  Add more motorcycle classes, look at the other classes that the ECTA has.  Another 25 to 50 bikes would add some quick money at little expense.  It is affordable for more racers and most of them will stay over on the short courses anyway.

P.S.S.  I like the retired stock cars too, those are semi-affordable and might make for some fun modern looking race cars.  It might attract some new sponsors too. "Yes Vern, my Tide, Mt. Dew, Napa, Chevrolet ran well with it's Hendricks motor and those Goodyear tires really had some grip on the salt today...."    :cheers:
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2013, 07:22:52 PM »
BNI members are not SCTA members so why should they be sent SCTA related business?

True statement. But where does their money go?

The BNI is a separate entity under SCTA board control with their own bylaws and subordinate board.  The BNI is charged with the responsibility of planning and organizing the Bonneville Salt Flat events and coordinating all vendors and media.  The SCTA actually controls the Speed Week event under their rules and bylaws.

The SCTA board appoints the BNI officers, who must also be SCTA board members.  All decisions made by the BNI officers are done by consensus. The BNI does not make rules or policy; this is all done by the SCTA board.  To become a member of the BNI, you simply purchase a yearly membership. This membership gives you the right to participate in any of the Bonneville Salt Flat events sanctioned by the SCTA. The SCTA reserves the right to revoke membership to the BNI at any time.

You might not be an SCTA member, but you sure should know where your money is going.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #32 on: November 04, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »
You pay your money -- you get what you pay for.  If you don't like it, don't buy it.

More MC classes!!!  Probably 500 still open.  Let's wait 'til they fill up.  And then add the GS classes (Green Seats).

Stock Cars???  They'll do it if you buy and store the templates -- or just go "on your honor".
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2013, 07:40:03 PM »
I'm just surprised that they can pull off Speedweek at less than 1 million.

There's more money than that sitting in impound on any given day . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2013, 11:31:21 PM »
 Why are BNI members excluded, they are the ones that have paid for El Mirage for years and the main income for SCTA :?

And the big SECRET for years is HOW MUCH MONEY IS IN THE BANK and other investments.

Also that's a very undetailed profit and loss statement lacking the exact expenses.

If SCTA HAS NOTHING TO HIDE at least give the above info to SCTA members.

Desotoman...have you ever known the above info.

If nobody knows the total HOW WOULD YOU KNOW SOME IS MISSING :?

TIME FOR AN INDEPENDEND AUDIT.

Yeah, hope financial info doesn't appear on Land Racing.com :roll:

JL222

Hi John,

Yes, in the past when I went to board meetings I would ask for the information and would be told. Since I don't go to board meeting anymore, I have them send the minutes to me and I have seen it in the minutes.

Don't wait for the Sidewinders to send you any information on what is going on in the SCTA. As you know the only things you get from the Sidewinder's is the rule book they owe you, and the club roster, oh and I forgot they send you something for the picnic and banquet, but nothing on SCTA business. We need a new President, 10 or 12 years for one person in charge is way too long. Heck he won't even send out the clubs minutes for one to review.

Don't worry John IMO everything is under control, there will be some price increases, to offset Mother Nature. Just remember in these times we don't really need apprentices at the helm of the organization. Example: Look what happened to the announcing at Bonneville.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:24:11 AM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 11:46:49 PM »

But, what the h-ell, let's string them up!  Even if the info is incomplete.  Let's be outraged!  H-ell no, there were no politics involved in posting this!  Light the torches and

Stan Back!  

Thanks Stan,

I needed that.  :cheers:

Tom G.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 12:24:37 AM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 12:30:23 AM »
  Me thinks that is what his Momma said right before He popped out (pith helmet and all).................. "Stan Back"
                                                                                         Ol' One Run, out       :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2013, 10:35:24 AM »
WOW! leave you guys alone for a couple of days and ...

I used to wonder what happened to all that BNI money... but if you just pay a little attention at SpeedWeek and see Jim and all the other starters standing in the sun all day you got to think... I sure hope they are giving them dinner, a comfy hotel room with cold air and a cold beer.  Now multiply that by course stewards, the hundreds of folks that make the event happen, inspectors, sales and registration... the list could go on forever.  They are volunteers and they give their time so we can race.  I hope they keep doing that, and I hope they are compensated enough to keep them doing for us.

After 35 years of racing Bonneville I don't care a bit, every penny they spend allows me to do something I really enjoy doing. 
Yes it used to bother me that BNI members have no say in class rules... but that won't stop me from racing and playing by their rules.
The data presented would make you worry that the organization is going broke... I suspect that the entire picture shows a financially healthy, well run organization. 

Political motivation?  Maybe, but since the SCTA members  have access to see the big picture and decide for themselves does it really matter what is posted here...

OK I'll quit rambling... One Run... remember to Stan Back
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 11:08:57 AM »
WOW! leave you guys alone for a couple of days and ...

I used to wonder what happened to all that BNI money... but if you just pay a little attention at SpeedWeek and see Jim and all the other starters standing in the sun all day you got to think... I sure hope they are giving them dinner, a comfy hotel room with cold air and a cold beer.  Now multiply that by course stewards, the hundreds of folks that make the event happen, inspectors, sales and registration... the list could go on forever.  They are volunteers and they give their time so we can race.  I hope they keep doing that, and I hope they are compensated enough to keep them doing for us.

After 35 years of racing Bonneville I don't care a bit, every penny they spend allows me to do something I really enjoy doing. 
Yes it used to bother me that BNI members have no say in class rules... but that won't stop me from racing and playing by their rules.
The data presented would make you worry that the organization is going broke... I suspect that the entire picture shows a financially healthy, well run organization. 

Political motivation?  Maybe, but since the SCTA members  have access to see the big picture and decide for themselves does it really matter what is posted here...

OK I'll quit rambling... One Run... remember to Stan Back

Thanks....I laid awake half the night trying to put into words what you just did.  I guess I could of been sleeping  :cry:.

I'll just add a thing or two if it is ok.  We moan and groan about putting out $100 to join a club and SCTA and about having to drive half a day to go to a meeting when club members elect officers and board members who spend the same money and more to go to meetings make phone calls all year long "so we can race or watch".  They don't sit at keyboards speculating on what is going on but are out there making these events happen for us and some of them.

The next time you drive out onto the salt look around.  All of those miles of stakes and flagging just didn't happen.  Each of those stakes was driven into the ground by someone giving of their time.  They listened and now there are 4 courses with all the extra work that went into setting them up and keeping them running.  People showed up days before the event on their time to map out courses and spend all day driving up and down them dragging them.

They have to set up the inspection and impound areas and man them day after day.  Then when you jump in your car and head home on Sunday through Friday they are still there putting in 12-14 hour days.  Friday all of those stakes have to be pulled out and hauled off and stored along with all of that flagging and everything else it takes to run the meet.  All the timing has to be taken down.  By now you are probably home.  All that work was done by all of those guys and gals without pay on probably their vacation time so we can race.  They didn't get to race and didn't get to roam around and spectate.

And now we are upset because some of the money goes so they can race at El Mirage, where we could also race if we wanted to by joining a club or as a guest.  I have no problem with them reaping some benefits in that form after what they do at Speed Week for me and so many hundreds of other racers and spectators.

If you want to give just ask what can I do.  I stayed one Friday and pulled stakes and took down flagging.  If you want to do something the jobs are there for the taking, just ask and remember when posting on here about SCTA that this isn't a one person business or a corporation trying to make money.  SCTA is made up of guys and gals that want to make sure land speed racing happens just like you do,

Sum

Offline jl222

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 01:41:17 PM »
  Sum...unpaid volunteers :? Your credibility gap is outstanding. Their paid by the hr. and a lot of them run cars, one of them is on our crew and couldn't afford to be at Bville along with several other PAID volunteers, some with the fastest cars running.

In addition to hotel room they also get meal tickets, breakfast, lunch, whenever at the food vendor.

What in hell do you think they spent $518,819 on :?

What where expenses in the past, when Dana Wilson was in charge of Bville finance, when Dana and wife Jackie spent hrs at end of race day making sure every account balanced?

Still waiting on where $406,961.28 in additional income came from and how much money SCTA has in banks and investments.

I don't understand when income from Bville is $282,690 and expences $518,898 not many can see what will happen in the
 future and why the opposition to an audit.

Do any of you old timers remember the same happening in the past :?   :roll:

JL222

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 02:06:00 PM by jl222 »

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 04:03:57 PM »
I don't see any opposition to an audit posted here.  Seems the only one who wants an audit is you.  Knowing the current treasurer and the past treasurer I can tell you at SpeedWeek they spent time into the wee hours of the morning balancing the accounts for each day.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 04:18:28 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 04:16:53 PM »
I am so glad I run AMA!!!  :-o

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 04:34:10 PM »

In addition to hotel room they also get meal tickets, breakfast, lunch, whenever at the food vendor.

What in hell do you think they spent $518,819 on :?

If the Enola Gay is flipping a half million dollars worth of burgers and breakfast burritos over ten days, that’s where I’d start an audit. 

Then we could move on to that hourly wage paystub your team member has, if he's willing to share it . . .   He did report the income on his taxes, correct?

jl, I really think you're tilting at windmills on this one.  It's important that the organization(s) stay solvent, but if they're putting together a program of this magnitude for less that $1 M, that's shockingly economical.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 05:34:48 PM »
 Sum...unpaid volunteers :? Your credibility gap is outstanding. Their paid by the hr. and a lot of them run cars..........

JL222

Well I apologize for not know that many workers were being paid.  I'll stand with Stainless knowing that and say it really doesn't bother me as I appreciate the fact that the event happens.  I'm sure that I'm not the only one that has volunteered time without needing to be paid for it.  In fact if people want to help keep expenses down then that is always an option.

I still feel you need to go through your club in finding the information you seek and then deal with it there also if you seek changes.  This isn't the place and I'm sure SCTA officials are not going to address it here and they shouldn't,

Sum

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2013, 07:35:34 PM »
Well, yes.  There is per diem.  And a free hamburger once a day.  Five hour minimum -- most usually work 10 to 12.  Figures out to be a lot less than minimum wage.  I work 6 days and don't cover my gas bill to get there and back.  Or eat something more than the hamburger.  Or get there and back without anything when cancelled.  But I'm reliable.  That's why I quit my day job -- I'm gonna get rich off the SCTA!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records