Author Topic: Salt Flash. A Bonneville Beezer.  (Read 77814 times)

Offline lsrjunkie

Re: Salt Flash. A Bonneville Beezer.
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2014, 12:32:16 PM »
Awesome Briz! I'll be on the look out for you guys! see you in sixty some odd days!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2014, 09:22:39 PM »
I wish I could say the same. :evil:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2014, 09:52:28 PM »
The needle valve that works with a pressure system can be smaller than the equivalent valve for a gravity setup.  It is possible to put in too large of a needle valve and it will not seal against a pressurized line.  This is stuff I read yesterday when I was dealing with my own problems.

This makes sense when you consider that the upward force exerted by the floats on the needle is spread out across the needle seat and force / area = pressure.  A seat with too much area results in not enough sealing pressure.

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2014, 06:08:19 AM »
Yeah; we realised that. Went down from a 4mm seat to a 2mm. Still flooded though!
The day the bike shipped, we received from Amal a pair of deep floats intended for pumped applications. I put them in the toolbox as we were loading the pallet. We'll try them when we get there.

Offline Briz

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2015, 09:35:22 AM »
Time to come out of hibernation!
We're definitely coming back this year, so with a heap of paying work out of the way, we dusted off the ol' BSA and got started on some fuelling mods.
Inspired by Generatorshovels setup a page or 2 back, we scrounged a junk Holley carb off a fellow rodder and got the floatbowl set up thus:

No leaks! pic shows it holding a steady 4psi.
Rigged up a clear tube off the feed manifold to see fuel level, looks like its just about perfect. Thought I'd see how much pressure the Holley float would take; turned on the pump and kept adjusting the regulator up to an unbelievable 12psi; level rose by 5-6mm but still held it steady. Impressed!

Couple more tweaks and we're ready for some testing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:04:23 PM by Briz »

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2015, 04:01:48 PM »
It's good to see someone willing to think outside the box, I'm glad the Holley mod worked for you too Briz  :cheers:
Go crack a can 'o Bonneville whoopazz mate.
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2015, 04:14:51 PM »
Such an awesome build Briz.  I hope to someday have my Enfield half as cool as your Beezer.  Did you ever get the chance to dyno the bike?

Offline Briz

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2015, 05:34:51 PM »
Yeah Scottie...it was a disaster! Fuel everywhere!
We'll be trying again quite soon.
Tiny; you thought outside that box mate. We just copied a good idea!

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2015, 12:19:51 AM »
Tiny; you thought outside that box mate. We just copied a good idea!
I had a cardboard box, left it in the rain, it flopped, now everything is outside the box (living in an isolated area of OZ makes thinking mandatory)
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #99 on: February 25, 2015, 08:47:07 AM »
Hi Briz,

Glad to see progress and ideas,

See you soon,

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline Briz

« Reply #100 on: March 13, 2015, 03:53:04 PM »
Dyno session at Krazy Horse went well. Made 57HP and 72 ft-lbs torque. Only revved it to 5K, being gentle on the motor. Peaking early; turbo seems to run out of puff. Was making 12 psi of boost at 3500 rpm.
Gonna try a bigger turbo.
Only problem we had was way too much oil pressure going into the turbo. Got past the seals & made smoke at high rpm.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 05:06:10 PM by Briz »

Offline thefrenchowl

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2015, 09:58:41 AM »
Hi Briz,

Old Harry Miller 20's trick to send just the smallest necessary amount of oil to a supercharger:  a long coil of small copper tube to lower the pump pressure by drag itself.

Patrick
Flat Head Forever

...What exactly are we trying to do here?...

Offline Briz

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2015, 10:32:34 AM »
We got the pressure sorted; the pressure release valve wouldn't open because of hydraulic lock; oil would get behind the piston and would stop it moving far enough. Took awhile to figure it out, the valve worked fine on compressed air!
Machined some flutes 3/4 of the way along the piston.

Offline Briz

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2015, 04:02:21 PM »
On the subject of oil....the engine oil rather than the turbo oil............
One thing that always bugged me was the fact that whether running here on the dyno or over on the salt, the oil is never up to running temperature when giving it full throttle for a hard pass.
Less of a problem running synthetic 5/40 or whatever, but Castrol R (or our Rock Oil equivalent) is like molasses when cold which isn't going to help circulation, and will load the oilpump bits.
So; I just bought one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290998002590?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Stick it in the oil tank while waiting to run, or while its on the trailer en-route. Problem solved.....hopefully.

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2015, 04:13:17 PM »
On the subject of oil....the engine oil rather than the turbo oil............
One thing that always bugged me was the fact that whether running here on the dyno or over on the salt, the oil is never up to running temperature when giving it full throttle for a hard pass.
Less of a problem running synthetic 5/40 or whatever, but Castrol R (or our Rock Oil equivalent) is like molasses when cold which isn't going to help circulation, and will load the oilpump bits.
So; I just bought one of these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290998002590?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Stick it in the oil tank while waiting to run, or while its on the trailer en-route. Problem solved.....hopefully.

One of the things the Milwaukee Midget did last year was to utilize magnetic oil pan and diff heaters, unlike years past.

2013 unheated best run 118+ mph
2014    heated best run  126+ mph

Unfortunately, higher oil temps were not the only detail differences between '13 & '14, BUT, the little details added up because he broke the I/GT record.

If it was me, I'd pay attention to EVERY detail.

Just my 2 cents
 :cheers:
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein