Author Topic: Salt Flash. A Bonneville Beezer.  (Read 77813 times)

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
Re: Salt Flash. A Bonneville Beezer.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2013, 06:56:15 AM »
Yeah; I'm using a AMC/Norton gearbox. Which has a splined shaft.
Not a big fan of tapered shafts, as I might have mentioned!
If I was using a BSA 'box, I'd have swapped in an earlier plunger mainshaft which is splined and will take a norton clutch.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:09:18 AM by Briz »

Offline Briz

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 04:16:32 PM »
Been doing plenty lately, but only just taken any pics.
Rolled up an alloy oiltank:

Used the filler neck off the old Weslake one. Ends are domed - I had 2 pieces of domed ally from a pair of polished belt drive covers; one small, one large. So I beat out a matching pair. The smaller ones will go on the intake plenum:

Cant finish the ends until the inlet is done. You can see the dump valve underneath; its a Forge dump-to-atmosphere one off a Subaru Impreza. Had to machine up ally carb flanges to take the mk2 Amals.

From the aborted Buell XB9 project came a set of stainless headers which were perfect for making the head-to-turbo exhaust. Flak-Monkey sorted out all the stainless flanges.

Now sorting out the intercooler. Deciding where it should go. Initially, thought it would go here:

But its a bit vulnerable, so I'm now thinking of putting it acrossways up top. Its a cut down one from a Range-Rover that was kicking about.

Yesterday I made the end tanks for the intercooler. Took all afternoon; would have been easier to make them with flat sides, butI wanted them rounded off and shaped to help flow. Spouts not done as waiting for beaded tubes.

Waiting on other stuff too so made a start on the tank as David needs to know about fuel pump position and whether we can get it in the tank.
I want the bike to looks a bit BSA-ish, so a conventional tank is needed. Mounted way low, it wont affect the riders ability to hunker down too much.
Its an old BSA one bought for £20 a few months back. Obviously it wont fit this frame!:

First welded up the filler hole:

Then cut it in half:

Cut a filler strip out of 22g, 1.75" wide at the back, 0.75" at the front. Tacked it in place. Edge fit must be perfect as possible.

Tig'ed it together carefully, doing short runs here & there, mostly without using a filler rod. A few blow-thrus:

It distorted a fair bit; was I bothered? Naaah!
Carefully dressed the high spots off with a soft disc and set about hammer & dollying. One of the best tools I ever bought was a set of stake-dollys & stand off an emigrating friend. Got about 20 dollys. This one was right for this job:

After some bashing & fettling:

It'll still need a small skim of filler, but not much. Getting it perfect would take a lot longer and theres danger of overworking the metal, especially on a tank where leaks are a possibility.

A quick go-around with the snips, and its in place. Plenty to do yet.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2014, 05:19:28 PM »
 :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline NICO10

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2014, 06:37:40 PM »
Wow very nice! I wish i could make progress like you do hehehe

Nico :cheers:

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2014, 06:51:24 PM »
Briz,
Love your build, don't find many that can do it all!! I am really impressed with your motor stuff and machining and I am not even a motorcycle guy!
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bak189

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2014, 07:45:57 PM »
Love the "old" A-10 Beezer....ran one in a chair (sidecar) road racing back in the early 1960's...lots of low end power.....won a few ....lost a few........used a early trans. shaft and a Norton Manx clutch using Barrnett plates and springs.......Your doing your build certainly the right way....Best of luck.......................Cheers
Question authority.....always

Offline Briz

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2014, 03:18:50 PM »
Turbo setup is almost done, just the oil system to do; gonna put the tank underneath now.

Exhaust is simple! Arrow points to oxygen sensor boss.

Tank is done now but forgot to do any pics except the aero-filler mod:

Fuel system will sit all together in front of the tank. David has sourced a Mallory pressure regulator which allows us to run an EFI pump and regulate it down to 4 PSI. It has a boost-reference port so pressure keeps 4 psi above whatever boost pressure we have.

David's also ordered an electric fuel shutoff, and lined up a freebie fuel pump!  :D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 03:22:30 PM by Briz »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2014, 04:07:11 PM »
Briz, really a nice and well documented build. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2014, 10:15:02 AM »
Briz, awesome build. Looks like things are coming along very nicely!  :cheers:
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline tauruck

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 10:16:21 PM »
That's a lot of work.

Widening a tank is no joke.

Way to go Briz. :cheers:

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2014, 10:42:07 PM »
Glad to see you're using a Norton box.  One less thing to worry about at Bonneville.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Briz

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2014, 08:37:35 AM »
Oh, I'll still manage to worry about it Bill!! :-D

Offline Briz

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2014, 03:08:24 PM »

Heres a pic of the tank mounted:

We needed an oiltank for the turbo since we're using castor based in the engine and want to feed the turbo synthetic, and anyway we wouldn't want to bleed off any oil pressure from the engine.
Decided to put it under the turbo to allow gravity drainback so we only need a single pump. Obviously its a bit vulnerable down there so I decided it should be made out of 3mm instead of the 2mm I have in stock.
David came up with some as I had none.
Ended up a bit more complicated than I envisaged!...

Here it is mounted:

We now have all the major fuel system parts; David came round with the rest of it today. We now have to figure a mounting setup that'll work and allow sensible plumbing...Which is never straightforward...

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2014, 03:15:08 PM »
Oh, I'll still manage to worry about it Bill!! :-D

Naw!   You ought to know they are unbreakable.  The only one who could do harm to one was Alf Hagon and his blown J.A.P.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Briz

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2014, 03:26:04 PM »
Yeah, but it was Alf Hagon who taught me the trade...  :-o