Author Topic: Salt Flash. A Bonneville Beezer.  (Read 78066 times)

Offline Vinsky

Re: Salt Flash. A Bonneville Beezer.
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2014, 11:03:35 AM »
Briz, This is interesting stuff, quite innovative. How do you adjust your timing? Isn't the mag drive behind the reed valve? Keep the updates comming.
John

Offline Briz

• Custom cycle developments
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2014, 02:26:31 PM »
I'm not using a mag at all Vinsky. I'm using a crank-triggered dual-fire fixed advance electronic  setup. Easy to adjust, and you can do it with a strobe-light.
Did it before on my street BSA (but with an advance curve) like this:

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2014, 07:08:54 AM »
That is some great looking work Briz!  I wish I had the resources to put out some parts like that.   Very nice!   :-)

Scottie J

Offline Briz

« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2014, 04:34:21 PM »
Cheers Scottie!

Done the final piece in this timing-side jigsaw...the crank oil feed. Just a small chunk of ally, but a whole days work!

There will be an oil seal behind the circlip:

Offline tauruck

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 10:23:24 PM »
Just imagine Briz and Wobblywalrus getting together on a project. :evil:

That would be something.

I love bikes but my knowledge on motors is more two stroke related.

The mods you guys get into blows my mind. :cheers:

Offline Briz

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 03:03:33 PM »
Most of the drivetrain engineering is done, so I've been doing cycle parts.
The original idea was to do a seat/tailpiece. But the rule change that requires the rim to be fully visible from the side caused the change to a conventional fender & seat.
Regular customer Scouse Tony gave us an unwanted alloy Zodiac one...but it was 11" wide! So I cut 6" out the middle.
Simple stainless sissy-bar is there purely for lifting & pushing duty, of which there seems to be quite a bit out on the salt!
Rear-sets are straight off the Weslake.
Brake torque arm, seat base & battery carrier also done. And I re-did the rear tank mount setup. Just too ugly before.
Just the fuel system parts to mount now & its powdercoat time.

Offline Scottie J

• New To LSR But Not Going Fast
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 06:59:11 PM »
Looking Good!    8-)

Offline Briz

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2014, 09:44:41 AM »
We've been informed that we have to get the bike ready for shipping by the end of May, which is about 3 weeks sooner that we reckoned on :-o
I've had to attend to paying work, so David has taken over. He's got the fuel system stuff mounted:

The sheetmetal painted (in primer here)

And the frame powder coated:

The cylinders have been nikasil coated and are on the way back.
And a heap of bits has been polished, some of which are off getting anodised.

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2014, 11:07:21 AM »
Briz,
This looks like another impressive build. Pretty hard to out do the Weslake lsr build, but I really look forward to seeing and watching it run.
Hope your notice of the early shipping date won't affect your salt time.
Good Luck
John

Offline tauruck

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »
Briz, you're a hard grafter. :cheers:

I'm exhausted just looking. :-D

Looks great man.

Offline Briz

« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2014, 01:00:07 PM »
Workin' like crazy on customer orders at the mo', but we have the anodising back as of friday so today David & I did a bit of assembly.
We got the Norton gearbox rebuilt and got it and the forks on the frame:

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2014, 10:49:11 AM »
Nice forks and sturdy axle-clamps.............those legs must have paper-thin walls 8-) 8-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline Briz

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2014, 02:56:18 PM »
They're off a Honda CBR1000, shortened 5".  Its one of the parts we reused from our Weslake. The 41mm tubes are about 2.5mm wall.

Offline Briz

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2014, 06:43:45 PM »
A month since I last updated, largely consisting of banging my head against a wall.
Our billet crank has turned into a frustration-monster!
Dave, who is making it needed to outsource rough-grind, balance, nitride and final grind. His normal place, Farndon Engineering, were overbooked. We needed somewhere with a Schou-grinder - which can do stroke-correction.
Called around, Gosnays in Essex said they could do it all in 2 weeks, so Dave took it there straight away. But a week in, they'd only done the rough-grind. They then proceeded to place as many obstacles in our path as they could think of! It became clear that they were farming-out the balancing and the nitriding. The balance was problematic, it needed about a pound of metal adding to the counterweights or a pound off the journal area.
This was going to have to be sent off to another place to get done. They wanted to drill & insert carbide slugs.
The bloke at Gosnays was a real PITA and wouldn't put us in touch with the balancer. We finally got him to pass our number on to him to call us back. Which he did. Seemed a lot more helpful. Wish I'd got his number.
I told him we could do the work over the Easter weekend and get it back to him for Tuesday. But The crank was already with this other firm, and they were shut for the weekend so we'd have to wait till Tuesday to get it back.
Tuesday came and the Gosnays-jerk called. Apparently this 3rd firm could do it by the end of the week and it'd cost us £600!!! Told him we could do it instead, (David sourced some carbide slugs) but he didn't want to know. So we arranged to pay for the rough grind and get it back.
Gosnays have proved to be totally unhelpful. Probably OK for regrinding a truck crank, but hopeless if you need someone to work with you.
Dave didn't get it back till Thursday. He's got another balancer, but we learned on Monday he was going to take 3 weeks.
Tuesday I drove & got the crank & paid Dave, and dropped it off to Basset-Down (one of the best known UK balancers) who would balance it for early next week. Then it'll be straight round to Cambridge Rebores who agreed to final-grind it the same day.
We're not bothering with the nitriding now; no time.
A complete clusterfuck. And an object lesson in the timewasting effect of outsourcing! Each time it goes to another party for work costs about 4 days extra even if they cant do it.
We have to get the bike finished, tested, dyno'd and at the shippers by May 28th. I'm not optimistic and this crap has pissed me off totally with the whole project.
But were locked into an unstoppable trainride now. A train that might well crash & burn.

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »
Briz, I feel your pain - all too well.  A handful of years ago I wanted a billet stroker crank for my ZX12.  It already had a slightly odd cylinder spacing issue, and nobody that we could find in the US wanted to make it.  So off to Farndon went the order.  We (the builder and I) were told it'd be about 6 - 10 weeks after receipt of our payment in full.  The amount they charged was awfully high, I think.  I'll share that number with you - but not here in public.  Let me know if your curiosity needs to be satisfied.

By the time a full year had passed without them doing squat we went so far as to have the US Embassy start looking into the reason Farndon had accepted our money but not done the work they'd promised.  We'd got nothing but promises and comments like "It's in the rough grind stage" or "It's going to be xyxyx'ed next week" and so on, but as far as we could tell -- they didn't start on it 'til the embassy got nosy at them.  They were spectacularly difficult to reach by phone and emails weren't responded to.

But -- the price they asked was very high, so I don't blame them for not making it in a timely manner.  WHAT?  I sure did get disappointed and DID blame them and haven't yet got over my anger with them.  We did eventually get the crank, by the way, and it's in the motor now and running fine on motor only.  We've now got issues with the MoTeC and aren't sure that spraying nitrous would be wise until we're more confident that all's well with the electronics.  

But it does run nicely with the billet crank.  At least that much is good. :roll:  I hope your crank issues get completely sorted and finished so you can have the most competitive motor you could want - this year, too.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2014, 08:17:39 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com