Author Topic: 2014  (Read 7071 times)

Offline miki54

• New folks
« on: November 03, 2013, 09:15:40 AM »
Hi there everybody, my name is Miki Sprosen. I race classic and vintage over here in the UK, both solo and sidecar. I have always wanted to come and race at Bonneville but never thought I would get the chance. Anyway, it turns out that I am coming to Colorado next year and I have managed to time it so I can travel to Bonneville salt flats for World of Speed. I have been swatting up on the internet regards the World of Speed and it looks like I should be able to enter in the 130 club? Anyway, this is my situation. There is no way I can afford to bring a bike with me so I need to buy one over in Colorado and bring it to Utah. It has occured to me that one of you might have something tucked away that I could buy to use.  That aside, I really would appreciate any advice regarding everything to do with coming as a novice to the salt. I realize that my years of track racing might not help me all that much!
Thanks in advice to you all. Living the dream. Miki.

Offline BobDcuda

Re: 2014
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2013, 11:33:15 AM »
Whereabouts in Colorado will you be visiting?  East or west of the Divide?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 11:34:51 AM »
Miki;

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm not a bike guy but I wonder if someone at WOS might give you an opportunity to ride their bike rather than your having to buy a bike over here and then get rid of it after the event. Why not ask?

One of my Dad's fellow officers (Army) had a saying, "You don't ask-- you don't get!".

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 12:28:50 PM »
Hi there everybody, my name is Miki Sprosen. I race classic and vintage over here in the UK, both solo and sidecar. I have always wanted to come and race at Bonneville but never thought I would get the chance. Anyway, it turns out that I am coming to Colorado next year and I have managed to time it so I can travel to Bonneville salt flats for World of Speed. I have been swatting up on the internet regards the World of Speed and it looks like I should be able to enter in the 130 club? Anyway, this is my situation. There is no way I can afford to bring a bike with me so I need to buy one over in Colorado and bring it to Utah. It has occured to me that one of you might have something tucked away that I could buy to use.  That aside, I really would appreciate any advice regarding everything to do with coming as a novice to the salt. I realize that my years of track racing might not help me all that much!
Thanks in advice to you all. Living the dream. Miki.

Miki ,go to the membership sign in page and fill in a little more info so others here and at your home area may be able to help you.Also go back to the forums page and give us a little more on your back ground so everyone will know what you have done as far as speeds etc. Good luck coming over next yeas for the WOS. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 06:24:25 PM »
Your idea - come over here, buy a bike, ride it, and then (I suppose) sell it before you go home again - - that reminds me of a French guy from Britain that tried to do something similar a handful of years ago.  I has an older Gold Wing that I had listed for sale, and he contacted me about it.  When I heard his plans (ride from Chicago, where he'd get the bike, to San Francisco where he'd sell it) I offered to let him borrow the bike.  Instead of him taking a loss to get rid of the bike -- he paid our air fare and Nancy and I flew to SF and rode the bike back home.  A free cross country ride?  Hell, yes - we'll do it. :cheers: :cheers:

Unfortunately I don't have a 130 Club bike to lend you at World of Speed, but like Glen and others are saying -- don't be afraid to ask to borrow on to try to get into the Club.  You have read the rules, right?  You know it isn't as easy as it looks, right?  Best wishes, and welcome to the Forum.

PS  Put your hometown in the "location" blank on the profile page, please.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline miki54

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, 11:39:39 AM »
Hi all and thanks for the quick replies! To answer some questions I am going to be staying in Breckenridge Colorado to start with, but might have to come straight to Utah depending on when I get to the USA. I believe the World of Speed is from 6th-9th Sept next year. To give you an idea of my riding abilities ( if I were to borrow a bike it would be good to know!) this is what I have been doing over the last 10 years of racing. I managed to win the 175 bantam championship in 2004 and have also achieved both second and third in other championships on various bikes including a 350 Ducati and a 250 Rudge. I race a 650 Triumph twin outfit at the present time. None of these bikes are that quick with top speeds of around 120 max. I have quicker road bikes than that, but racing does concentrate the mind! I am under no illusions as to my status as novice on the salt, but that is where you have to start.
To answer Seldom Seen Slim, I have tried to get to grips with how to go about doing this but am not really sure how easy or hard it is to sort it out, I have contacted USFRA to say what I wanted to do and have been told that it is possible. That's about it! However, I am not afraid to ask, which is what I am doing now. Thanks again for all the replies so far, please keep them coming because with your help I will be able to make this particular dream come true. Miki

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2013, 02:35:58 PM »
There are a lot of people from different parts of the world that do this. I know of some Kiwi's that came over with just their performance parts, bought a bike here, put all their crap on it, ran it at SW, took their crap back off, sold the bike & took their crap home.
How about a "rental", R stands for Racing.... right? :-D
  Sid.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 11:11:38 AM »
Sid?. I hope none of those were the dogs you spoke about that left all their crap on the salt. :-D